PDA

View Full Version : So scared! I need help :(

furret
07-05-16, 23:15
I have been a long time lurker here, since my HA showed up for the first time (october 2014, it was an eye cancer scare). I went to therapy and took citalopram for almost a year, i got so much better, until HA came back.
I have had the same scares as everyone else, MS, ALS, all the cancers in the world and everything. I have taught myself not to google anymore, instead i come here to calm myself down instead of jumping into awful conclusions that i am sick and dying.

But these days it has been different.
When i was a kid, i had really bad asthma. I was often sick and winter was scary because i knew i would get really sick, to the point that i was rushed to the hospital in the middle of the night to get oxygen and nebulizations.

Soon after my health got better, i started having this awful mucus sensation in my throat. I often clear my throat (although i suspect it is also a bad habit, i tend to do it frequently when i am anxious and stressed), and i can FEEL the mucus trickling down from my nose to my throat, and if i don't clear it you can hear my voice getting all weird. I've had this for YEARS, and i never paid attention to it because like i said, it often feels more like a tic than anything else.

Yet, yesterday i made the mistake of watching a video of a youtuber who was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. My anxiety skyrocketed because i broke my own rule of not googling and found out about silent reflux, and although in all honesty the only symptom i have is the constant throat clearing, my brain is somehow trying to convince me that i am really sick and i will get cancer and die. I bet you know how much i am fighting those thoughts, and my rational self tells me that i don't have any reflux symptom at all, i do feel bloated occasionally when eating but that was after earlier this year i had a bad stomach infection and i think that my intestinal flora was really messed up by that.

I feel so anxious about this because i am graduating soon, i have very good job offers and i feel like my life is only starting and i have so much to do... I don't want to be sick, i had some tests done in december and everything came out fine (i was tested for lupus because a rash on my face that turned out to be rosacea. Not even that gave me as much anxiety as what i am feeling now), yet i am anxious to death that i might develop some awful illness.

Please make me listen to reason, all of you have helped me immensely through this past two years, but now i come to ask you for help directly :(

Mugs
08-05-16, 01:18
Hi
You are right not to google but I'm a not a good one to talk!
I wish I didn't exist, life was so much simpler before we had so much information.
It sounds like you have a post nasal drip, can be aggravated by allergies and dry air.
This is happening in your throat, not your esophagus.
Go and graduate and live happy.
What are you graduating from?

furret
08-05-16, 01:29
I do have lots of allergies, and the place where i live is allergy central. I know that, and like i said, i've had that for years, more than ten years now, and i've never had a problem with it. I don't smoke, i don't drink, i don't even eat spicy food bc i don't like it.
Yet my brain is trying to convince me that i have messed up my esophagus, and i will have barret's and die :(
Engineering, which in turn adds to the stress in my life hahaha

Mugs
08-05-16, 01:40
I see, but not sure how you think you have messed up your esophagus.
I am a nurse and have not seen or heard of very many cases of esophageal cancer.
The thing I have heard though is that it is often related to heavy drinking.
Please relax.

furret
08-05-16, 01:46
I try to convince myself that it's especially rare on people my age (just turned 24), but that girl... She can't be more than thirty and already has terminal esophageal cancer...
I am sure that is extremely rare yet i can't help but thinking that maybe my postnasal drip is not only that but actually silent reflux and... UGH
Thanks for the words, knowing that i don't have one of the main risks is very reassuring.
And yes, i do wish too that all this information wasn't so readily available, it only messes up with our heads :(

Mugs
08-05-16, 01:58
Please relax, you are so young, enjoy your life and the health you have right now.
Get rid of the habit now, it's no joke when it carries on and on and soon you've missed so much life get dependant on meds, believe me I know and I'm 60.
Take care and congratulations on your graduation.
I see you live in Mexico.
We have a friend who we visit there in Chapala, Jalisco.