PDA

View Full Version : Swollen legs? Pitted Oedema

Wilburis
09-05-16, 09:06
Hi

For the last few weeks Ive noticed I can push my finger into the skin on top of my shins and it leaves a dent.

My lower leg do ache slightly and I have restless legs some nights.

Ive convinced myself I have cirrhosis as I was a heavy drinker, but have now given up.

I had a full blood panel done a few weeks ago and all was normal.

Ive become obsessed with pushing the skin on my legs.

The restless legs started after I changed medication to Mirtazapine.

Can anyone advise?

Thank you x

netminder1976
09-05-16, 14:52
I had this same fear because I was a heavy drinker for years also. I was constantly seeing if I could push in on my legs and it would stay. Also if my socks left marks I would be terrified. It's totally normal though. Our bodies contain a whole lot of water. If you had cirrhosis your blood tests definitely would have been off and I'm sure you would have a list of other symptoms before it even got to pitting edema.

Wilburis
09-05-16, 16:31
Thank you.

Did you see a doctor about yours?

Do you still have it?

x

netminder1976
09-05-16, 16:42
I did back then. I told him how much I drank back then which was all day everyday and that I was quitting. He pushed around on my stomach some and ran some blood tests which came back normal. I still get the socks marks andnon my shin I can push it in and it stay for a minute. I think it just all depends on how hydrated we are at the time. Have you been urinating as you normally do?

Wilburis
09-05-16, 16:51
Hi, yes, my urination is normal.

I am overweight by about 6 stone and sit on the sofa mostly while the kids are at school.

I am on a new antidepressant, Mirtazapine, which has caused me to have restless legs at night.

Did your doctor send you for further tests?

x

countrygirl
09-05-16, 17:05
I tried mitrazapine once and it gave me unbearable restless legs and also severe heartburn and weight gain. I only took it for 10 days and had to give up because I had put on over 7lbs without eating any more.

Has your actual weight increased since you started it as weight gain could give you fluidy legs.

Wilburis
09-05-16, 17:11
Hi

Thank you for replying.

I do think Ive put on weight - I am hungry all the time!

The only other time Ive had restless legs was when I was pregnant.

It's such a horrible sensation, I try to overcome it by not moving and then it gets unbearable and I have to move!

x

netminder1976
09-05-16, 18:03
No, my doctor didn't send me for anymore tests I assume because from his examination and the blood tests he didn't seem it necessary. Here I am six years later and just recently had blood tests after my latest health anxiety scare and all was normal again.

Wilburis
09-05-16, 18:08
Hi Netminder

I glad to hear you're OK x

netminder1976
09-05-16, 18:12
Thanks, I'm sure you will be fine too. The liver is a very powerful organ and good at recovering from the hard work us drinkers have put it through in the past. Abstinence is the best thing for it right now.

eastofeden
09-05-16, 18:23
Sometimes this can happen from having too much salt in your diet. I've noticed if I eat too much salt my legs retain fluid and get a little swollen. It's best to drink lots of water and if something was wrong with your liver, the panel would easily have picked it up. You'll be okay.