PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone weaned off pregabalin

Mugs
10-05-16, 02:48
Hi
I am on pregabalin and of course worrying about weaning off if it does not work for my anxiety.
Anybody have any experience with tapering off this drug?
Thanks

hanshan
14-05-16, 11:21
Hi Mugs,

I don't have experience weaning off pregabalin (I've been on a steady dose for some time now).

I can understand your concern because you are afraid that if you increase the dose and it does not work, it will be harder to come off. That may be true, but there are other factors involved, such a length of time you take it. Generally, if the period of time you take pregabalin is not long, you should be able to taper down fairly easily from most dose levels.

The main thing at the moment is to establish whether pregabalin can help you. You have recently stopped mirtazapine, so that might require some time to stabilise. Also, I don't think you have mentioned any serious side effects from pregabalin, which means the potential is there to increase the dose.

My rule of thumb is that if side effects are not a problem, you can increase up to 400 mg per day for a couple of weeks before deciding it's not working. If you still feel it's not for you, you should be able to discontinue fairly easily.

gonzosattic
29-05-16, 04:17
I did, after just 3 weeks I had to come off as I felt awful on them. I had sweats, loss of apatite and stomach cramps. However, under normal circumstances I belive (from what I've read) doctors taper off Lyrica very slowly. I had to come off quickly but luckily had only been on it 3 weeks, worst weeks ever

Mugs
16-06-16, 06:12
Bump

pinnor
16-06-16, 18:55
Bump

I'm trying to at the moment!

Have been steady on 100mg daily this week instead of taking more for work. Am planning to down, first of all, to 75mg daily. In fact tonight I may only take 25mg rather than 50mg. I think I'm going to be sleepy enough from the 4mg + later 2mg diazepam I took earlier to make it through work, so it may be a good time to start lowering my dose.

What's your dose and have you begun to taper? PM if you like of course. :)

If you read the diary thread I started, you'll see that I felt I was beginning to get mild WD symptoms at the weekends. So I expect that again but potentially worse when I begin to taper off the 100mg.

Mugs
18-06-16, 05:41
Nobody else weaned off pregabalin?

Shazamataz
18-06-16, 08:00
Sorry I can't help but just popping in to say 'Hi!'

Has it helped with the anxiety at all? The sleep?

I was doing a bit better and feeling hopeful about recovering but have been back in hell the past 3 days. I've been weaning off my diazepam and think the last drop has really hit me. I hope the pregabalin is easier than this!

Hugs
S

Mugs
19-06-16, 07:09
Hi
The pregabalin only helped for a few days.
The trazodone has helped me much more.
Seeing a new Pdoc this week, hoping he will take me off pregabalin.
Hubby has been sick and that always kicks my anxiety into high gear!

Shazamataz
19-06-16, 08:33
So glad the Trazodone is helping and I hope you are managing some sleep now. Hope hubby feels better soon!

goldsounds
07-07-16, 13:55
I am starting to do this slowly, have been on 225mg for about a year now and today have begun reducing it to 150mg. I know this is a lower dose than some people take but wondering how long I should give it before reducing to 75mg? 2 weeks? 3?

pinnor
11-07-16, 11:13
I am starting to do this slowly, have been on 225mg for about a year now and today have begun reducing it to 150mg. I know this is a lower dose than some people take but wondering how long I should give it before reducing to 75mg? 2 weeks? 3?

Listen to your body. When you feel stable on the lower dose, then reduce further. But give yourself at least a few days as in my experience it takes a few days before you start feeling the full effect of the drop in dosage.

goldsounds
12-07-16, 09:27
Thank you, that's good advice!

beatroon
24-07-16, 12:00
Hi there,

I have been on 100mg per day (50 in the morning, 50 in the evening) for about eight months and am looking to try to reduce it. I am probably going a bit too quickly and by just dropping the evening dose - it's been four days and I'm starting to wake up really early and anxious again. I guess I need to taper more slowly which is disappointing. Anyone got any thoughts on how best to proceed?

Thanks for any and all input guys, wishing you a calm day!

x

pinnor
25-07-16, 10:53
Hi there,

I have been on 100mg per day (50 in the morning, 50 in the evening) for about eight months and am looking to try to reduce it. I am probably going a bit too quickly and by just dropping the evening dose - it's been four days and I'm starting to wake up really early and anxious again. I guess I need to taper more slowly which is disappointing. Anyone got any thoughts on how best to proceed?

Thanks for any and all input guys, wishing you a calm day!

x

Ask your GP for the 25mg pills. And reduce the morning dose first, to 25mg, so you are taking 75mg per day, and stay on that for at least a week or until you feel stable. Reducing the morning dose instead of the evening one means the weaning off won't interfere with your sleep as much; sleep is key to the brain's recovery.

beatroon
28-07-16, 10:18
Thanks very much! That's good advice, I hadn't thought of having the lower dose in the morning.

I have some 25mg tablets from a previous prescription so I'll use those to taper off.

beatroon
29-07-16, 12:18
Wanted to check in and say that the reduction in dose seems to be working OK, I feel stable for the first time in days - think I was feeling tearful because my body was adjusting/in a bit of withdrawal from going too quickly. I will stay on the 50mg/25mg dose regime for a few weeks now and then perhaps step down again.

I know it sounds silly, as there is no shame in taking tablets we all know, but I do feel reassured that I have managed to step down a bit without going off my rocker again. It makes me feel more in control. That said, should I get breakthrough anxiety again I won't hesitate to go back to the higher dose!

beatroon
09-08-16, 11:34
Quick update, in case this thread turns out to be helpful to anyone in future who is interested in the weaning-off process.

I am now feeling stable on the 75mg daily dose (50mg evening, 25mg in the morning) and so will plan to drop down to 50mg per day (25mg in the morning, 25 mg in the evening) at some point over the next couple of weeks. I have a holiday coming up soon so don't want to upset the applecart over that.

I am anticipating an uptick in anxiety, and some muscle cramps and tension, as this is what has happened with lowering to 75mg daily. But I am also feeling clearer-headed and have not had too many embarrassing memory blips or vagueness.

Will update as I go!

shiznit76
09-08-16, 14:23
why is it you have decided to come off them?

beatroon
02-09-16, 14:16
a feeling that it's the right time, really. I feel that I am over the worst of the events that were spiking my anxiety and now that I am feeling stronger would like to see how I get on without the Pregabalin. If things heat up again I wouldn't hesitate to go back on them though.

hanshan
03-09-16, 13:31
Hi Beatroon,

Good luck with your taper - you have a very sensible attitude.

beatroon
20-09-16, 12:13
Thanks guys!

Taper still going well. By splitting the capsules and measuring I am down to 10mg in the morning and the evening and have not felt any ill effects.

I am taking it verrrryyyy slowly and am pretty relaxed about the idea of going back on them if I need to in future. But for now, I'll see how I get on.

Nella131
11-10-16, 07:39
Thank you for posting about this: it's good and very useful to hear. I haven't been on it long, and it's enabled me to get back to study and work which has been stressful but manageable - but would hope to be able to stop taking it in the future once I'm back in the swing of things. Equally, if I continue to need it then as you say, there is no shame in taking medication for any continuing health issue.

But thanks again for sharing your experience.

beatroon
11-10-16, 15:26
You're most welcome. We all need to stick together!

I have now discontinued the Lyrica altogether, as of about a month. I think going really ridiculously slowly was the right option, and I now feel perfectly fine off them. Overall, it took me about six months to wean off the very conservative dose of 150mg per day, but I feel this was a good appraoch for me.

It is good to know that it is a such a helpful drug and is in the armoury in case things get bad again! We anxious souls need all the help we can get!