PDA

View Full Version : Birthing partner

KatiePink
10-05-16, 10:37
I am being a birthing partner for my sister who is due in 8 weeks time. It's her second child, first child was 11 years ago and she was very young then doesn't really remember that much of it.

She's chosen me as we are very close and very similar to each other, and believe it or not i am usually the most level headed and calm person in stressful situations, it's likely to be me who everyone turns to.

I'm so excited about this as i missed the birth of my first niece, she's having quite a rough pregnancy but all is well with baby.
I've never given birth or witnessed a birth, and as much as i really want a family one day i've always had a fear of child birth due to stories i've heard and complications that can happen, typical me jumps to the worst possible child birth and assumes that is what i will have. I'm very short and a tiny frame which scares the crap out of me lol.

I really think i will be the best person to be there for my sister however i am worried it will create even more fear for myself :weep: I'm hoping the labour is a smooth as possible but obviously it's unpredictable and anything could happen, i know i will likely cope very well at the time in staying calm and supporting my sister, but when it's all over with i may feel even more scared about it for myself.

justashortinterlude
18-05-16, 18:49
Hello KatiePink,

Congratulations to your sister! Congratulations to you for being an auntie again!

You are so brave being the birthing partner for your sister. I wish I could have been for my sister, I love watching One Born Every Minute but I think I would be feeling exactly like you if she had asked me! Maybe it is a good idea to watch One Born Every Minute to give you an idea of what to expect, also reading up on labour might be interested & a great way to prepare.

I think you should enjoy the experience. I really want to have children & I am also tiny so am petrified about the same things as you! Along with my anxiety if someone even mentions pregnancy or giving birth I have a panic attack! Someone mentioned it in the hairdressers once & I had to leave to get some fresh air!

I hope you have a great experience when you meet your new niece or nephew. Keep us updated xx

KatiePink
19-05-16, 14:25
Hello KatiePink,

Congratulations to your sister! Congratulations to you for being an auntie again!

You are so brave being the birthing partner for your sister. I wish I could have been for my sister, I love watching One Born Every Minute but I think I would be feeling exactly like you if she had asked me! Maybe it is a good idea to watch One Born Every Minute to give you an idea of what to expect, also reading up on labour might be interested & a great way to prepare.

I think you should enjoy the experience. I really want to have children & I am also tiny so am petrified about the same things as you! Along with my anxiety if someone even mentions pregnancy or giving birth I have a panic attack! Someone mentioned it in the hairdressers once & I had to leave to get some fresh air!

I hope you have a great experience when you meet your new niece or nephew. Keep us updated xx

Thank you! I am really excited and to see my neice being born will be such an experience, i think i have read so many horror stories regarding labour that whatever happens it will be much better than what i have drummed up in my head lol.

My fear of child birth will be something i'll have to speak to my GP about when the time is right, i have such a strong belief that i could not possibly do it.