PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Daniel-M
11-05-16, 05:13
Hello all,

I have just stumbled upon this site and don't normally ever post or comment on any forums but really felt I had to.

Like most of you on here, dealing with panic attacks is not an easy process. I do believe it can get better.

Had my first panic attack back in 2006 so 10 years ago now. At first I thought I was having a heart attack it was extremely severe and even prompted my friend to call an ambulance.

Obviously the paramedic knew what it was and informed me I just had a panic attack and that I would be fine. Little did I know 10 years on I would be suffering still.

It has been a long process for me personally. Infact, after the first attack in 2006 I did not get another severe one for around 2 years. Every now and then I would get small waves but could control it and never took any of the beta blockers my doctor had prescribed me.

Now I will be honest, I got into the party scene at quite a young age and by the time was 17 was out clubbing every weekend taking coke, speed and ecstacy and smoking cannabis almost every single day. This went on for 3 years or so but managed to get off of the hard drugs and just smoked weed every now and then.

After a while I then noticed the panic attacks started to come back. Different things would trigger it off, like every time I got in a car I would feel it, if it was a really warm day I would feel it, I managed to soldier on though and would tell myself I was fine and continue on with whatever I needed to do.

Then in 2013 I lived and worked in Spain for 9 months and completely stopped smoking weed. It was not too difficult, just had to deal with a couple of weeks of really vivid dreams, night sweats, and my body getting back to normal again.

But the big problems started when I got back to the UK. I would get a panic attack at least once a week, with more and more things triggering it off. I knew this was getting worse and did not have the pills the doctor had given me all those years ago.

And in the last 2 years or so I have had an ambulance called 3 times by other people who see what I am going through. Its always the same thing, I take an ECG, blood sugar level test, etc... The result always come back fine, which puts me at ease until the next wave comes along.

I have recently been informed that I need to get some tests done as my Mum's side of the family are prone to Lynch Syndrome and there is a 50/50 chance that I have it. This has not really helped with the anxiety, only made it worse... I keep on getting severe attacks pretty much daily now. I am unable to leave the house most of the time, have had to stop work and struggle to even go to the supermarket.

I also moved area around 6 months ago and had to register with a new GP. They lost my details and have had to re register again but should be able to get an appointment in the next 2 weeks or so.

I'm quite worried about taking Valium or Xanax due to my past but think it's something I may have to take. It's just getting to that point where I have no other option.

I'm really glad I found this site and realise that I'm certainly not alone...

All the best to everyone out there,

Daniel

venusbluejeans
11-05-16, 05:18
Hiya Daniel-M and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

fduop
12-05-16, 16:55
Good morning Daniel-M. First let me tell you you're not alone and I'm glad you found this forum. What I love about NMP is that it offers real conversation with others just like myself. In your post I can see a lot of myself, in that the panic comes and goes and like me you started developing a working relationship with your local emergency services.

I admire your honesty with pot and other rec drug usage, I myself dealt a little with pot way back in the day, but that was long before my panic/anxiety. Reading your post I noticed how the panic/anxiety seems to be building. Last year after living with p/a for 16 years I had a lot of pressure on me completing my Grad school studies. The end result was a 7 day stay at the hospital and a stent placed on my heart.

I tell you this not to scare you, but to say anxiety can be a killer and when anxiety is near, panic is never far behind. The thing is you have to work on the tension and anxiety. I know that's easier said then done, but at the moment I using medication and therapy to live with this issue. (Prozac, Buspar) Two other things I practice that help me along are meditation and exercise.

Daniel-M remember while panic and anxiety are usually the manifestation deeper issues; it doesn't mean you need to be looking over your shoulder everyday for it. The hardest thing to learn is to not allow p/a rob you of life. For me most everyday is a struggle to motivate myself to go. But even though I'm uncomfortable doing it, I do my best and at lest try.

So best to you and that upcoming appointment, and remember work it one day at a time.