PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys do to pass the time?

Mugs
11-05-16, 07:39
Hi
I'm having trouble sleeping so my doc wants me to stay up until 3AM and set my alarm for 7AM. I have to get up and fill my day, no napping, until 3AM and do it all again. I'm to do this for a few weeks and see if it helps restore my sleep cycle.
I have bad anxiety right now and find it hard to do much of anything, just came off mirtazapine.
Some things I can do is knit, watch TV(sometimes), read a bit.
What would you do to pass the time if you didnt feel well enough to be out and about?

I sure hope this works, wish me luck please.
Thank-you.
Mugs

Beckybecks
11-05-16, 09:22
I'm alone for most of the day and still unemployed. For the whole of last year I lived in a very isolated place so didn't see or speak to other people for the whole day. I find if I sit around my mind works overtime and my anxiety increases. Some of the things I have done to keep myself occupied:
Started 2 online businesses. (Not hugely successful but kept me busy!)
Wrote a book now on it's way to the publishers
i go for long walks sometimes taking a picnic lunch with me
Painting (with the help of a book from the library)
Gardening
I've applied for volunteer work
I'm looking for a job
I also read, watch TV and knit

Ok some of these won't be suitable if you don't feel well but I find doing something for a reason always helps. Join a knitting group or knittng squares for blankets for a charity is an idea.

Shazamataz
11-05-16, 11:07
Oh wow! I've never heard of anyone being recommended to go to bed at 3am before! And alarm at 7 for a FEW WEEKS!

That's just madness, Mugs. I can so relate as my sleep has been disastrous on and off these past few months but a week on 4 hours a night and I feel like I'm dying!

When I've been up and unable to sleep sometimes I will turn on Netflix (I assume you have that or something similar?) and use the time to watch some old favourites.

I have heaps I can do around the house but it's so hard when you've had no sleep.

I'll be interested to know how you go with this.

Could you try melatonin?
You can't take zopiclone or any benzos can you?

Oh hugs!

xx

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 21:48 ----------

Just thought of another question. You've probably already mentioned it elsewhere but why did you come off Mirtazapine? Would staying on a really low dose (like 7.5) at least help with sleep?

I'm on 30mg and have just started splitting it 15 at night and 15 in the morning as I was waking at 3 am with heart pounding and in a sweat and then started panicking and got no more sleep. Past two nights I've been able to get back to sleep but very sluggish during the day which isn't ideal but better than panicking in the small hours!

Mugs
11-05-16, 15:56
Hi
Thanks.
I had to come off mirtazapine because of high cholesterol.
I slept 90 min last night, don't know what I'm going to do.
Can't take benzo or zopiclone.
Feel sick today.

misslove
11-05-16, 19:30
That does sound crazy. I would get another Drs opinion. They say going camping and leaving behind all technology will restore your natural sleep cycle. Rise and set with the sun. Try to exercise and tire yourself out. It can't be healthy to sleep from 3-7 for weeks. the body needs a good nights rest to function properly. Maybe another dr would just perscribe you sleeping pills to help you get on a schedule.

PanchoGoz
11-05-16, 19:54
I think maybe the doctor isn't expecting you to keep that up for a few weeks, they're hoping after a few days you will be so tired you will start dropping off earlier. Trying to stay awake makes you sleepier and stops you stressing about sleeping as much.

Mugs
11-05-16, 20:48
Hi and Thanks.
She said she wanted me to sleep 3 till 7 until I was sleeping the full 4 hours 85% of the time and then change to 2:30 to 7 and repeat. I see her agin in 2 weeks.
I don't feel good today as I only slept 90 min.
I'm going to go to bed earlier and just sleep as best I can. I have only been getting about 3 hours sleep the last few weeks but it's better than 90 min.
Thanks again.
Mugs

hermionegranger
12-05-16, 08:15
One thing that I think has really managed to distract me/fill my free time has been doing adult coloring books. I know that sounds pretty strange but they have very complex patterns and you can spend hours and hours doing them if you're into it. I think generally artistic activity can be cathartic and requires concentration so really any sort of drawing/painting/photography etc. might be helpful.

Carnation
12-05-16, 09:25
I have never heard of anything like that either Mugs.
Why 3am? Why not start at 1am. And to be specific about 4 hours?
Not reviewed for 2 weeks?? Definitely a 2nd opinion is needed.

Mugs I used to have big trouble sleeping, still do a bit, but I am pleased to say it has improved. The main thing is your mind keeping you awake.
So, you have to distract from the worries and fill it with other stuff.
I am afraid knitting and drawing won't do that.
Both are nice to do, but you could do both of them while worrying, can't you?

Most people that can't sleep either stay up and watch TV or go on their computer.
I would suggest you find some Apps on the internet about relaxation yoga and they have some brilliant ones to help you relax and asleep.

Walking is also good, if you can get out and about, if not, why not try some evenings of sitting looking at the stars at night on these warm summer evenings?
The fresh air will help you, maybe accompanied by a warm cup of cocoa?

Maybe change your TV night in to a music night? Reminisce with those dance moves of the past?

Have you tried meditation?

Get creative. The 'Sewing Bee' is coming on the TV soon. Maybe you can turn some old clothes in to something new.

You need projects that will fill your mind completely and not do something that you can do while thinking about other things. What about baking and gardening.

And I have been known to clear out a cupboard at 1am in the morning. :D

---------- Post added at 09:25 ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 ----------

I have just realised that you are a Registered Nurse.

Could the sleep problem also be to do with your work shift patterns?
As well as taking your work home in your head? :shrug:

Chocolateface
12-05-16, 21:54
Hi

I would go for a run or walk, bake cakes, jigsaw puzzles, mind games eg sudoku etc, if I wasn't working try volunteer work or short courses.

Clare

Mugs
12-05-16, 22:32
Thanks To you all:)
I went to bed last night at 12:30 and slept until 7:30 with a few wake ups in between.
I'm not going to be staying up till 3 anymore!
She chose 4 hours because that's about how much sleep I've been getting since coming off mirtazapine.
I was so sick yesterday morning after staying up so late.

I have some adult colouring books but colouring does not distract me enough.
It's cold and rainy here right now, otherwise I would sit outside in the sun.
I do meditation but find it hard to concentrate when my anxiety is high.
What a wimp!
I hate cooking, isn't that awful! I'm ashamed to admit this.:blush:
I have done a bit of yard work and it has helped.
My years of shift work have totally messed me up, sleep has been a problem for a long time.
I've been off on disability for almost 2 years now because of anxiety. I was hoping to get my sleep and anxiety sorted out before I go back to work and then I would just work days.
Seems like I'll never get back to work:weep:
I have been volunteering teaching English as a second language to immigrants but since I started coming off mirtazapine I have not felt we'll enough to go.
I hope I can get back to that soon.
Thanks again, I pray I will be able to sleep.
I hope you are all well.
Please take care.
Mugs

Shazamataz
12-05-16, 22:58
Good news on sleeping better! I'd be happy with that! Long may it continue! And hopefully you can get back to work soon. Me too. It's been about 7 months and I will have to look for something new when I am ready. Not looking forward to that at all.

Mugs
12-05-16, 23:17
Hi Shaz
Thanks, I hope it lasts too.
Work is so important for recovery.
What kind of work will you be looking for?

Shazamataz
13-05-16, 04:24
Hi Shaz
Thanks, I hope it lasts too.
Work is so important for recovery.
What kind of work will you be looking for?

I have no idea regarding work. I've spent the last 11 years working supporting people with mental health issues. Ironic really. I'm not really qualified for anything else but don't want to go back to that so feeling a bit stuck.

That said I'm nowhere near going back into work but I do wonder if having no direction is making my anxiety stick around way longer than it would have otherwise?

Mugs
13-05-16, 05:19
Hi
I think not knowing what kind of work you will do would increase your anxiety, it would mine. This is why I'm volunteering at a few places to see what else I may enjoy doing.
I love nursing, especially health teaching, but it is a demanding job.
I hope you can find something to work toward, I'm certain this would lower your anxiety.
If I can help you think if anything please let me know.
Please take care Sharon.

NoPoet
13-05-16, 11:41
To answer the OP's question, I do things that distract my subconscious. Typically I'll read or write, or listen to powerful music. These things fire my imagination and give me a sense of empowerment and security. Anxiety usually leaves us feeling uncertain and powerless, so by distracting our subconscious we're robbing it of two of its strengths.

I also play Terraria. That takes A LOT of concentration to survive, especially when you're digging and you've got monsters constantly landing on your head. Games like Terraria can be really rewarding as they give you a buzz when you're exploring and there's always new stuff to find.

When I was at my worst with constant, raging intrusive thoughts, I'd listen to an mp3 player while reading or working, with my own voice constantly repeating positive things on loop. This wasn't just to drown out the bad thoughts - it was aimed at healing the vulnerabilities that the bad thoughts were targeting. It worked really well.

Buster70
13-05-16, 12:58
Hi , struggling my self with sleep lots to keep me awake , I find TVs and Internet later on in the evening wake me up , I down loaded a sleep app on my old phone I just use my old phone for a night radio or for a jetty apps , most are free , this one sleep app is a hypnotic one and I very rarely hear it to the end , ok j don't get 8 hours out of it but I'll nod off for a couple then have a hot milk or camomile and put it on again , talk radio helps as well music seems to wake me up , maybe a bit of gardening or just a few plants in pots , take care