PDA

View Full Version : TMD/TMJ sufferers

Fedup79
12-05-16, 19:25
Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone who has TMD/TMJ can tell me theor symptoms?

Im just wondering if this is a contrabution to what im feeling. Ive been very anxious, tense and always been a night time grinder since i was 4 or 5 years old.

What im having is an ache in the jaw (mainly left), popping jaw when opening or yawning, toothache, tooth imprints on my tongue, sore teeth, cheek pain, sinus area/ nasal pressure, sore tongue, mouth ulcer type things, and sometimes occasional chin discomfort/ numbness.

Ive had a very bad day at work (line manager who speaks to people like they are dogs) and feel very achey tonight. Its also causing me to be in a bit of a sprial tonight with low mood. Also had a bit of blood in my snot (sorry cant think of a better word) whilst crying this morning, what could of caused this?? Was only a small amount and only noticed it once, also wondering if i have a touch of hayfever aswell??

Like i say had a rough day and in a spiral tonight and overthinking everything :( :(

KatiePink
12-05-16, 20:35
Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone who has TMD/TMJ can tell me theor symptoms?

Im just wondering if this is a contrabution to what im feeling. Ive been very anxious, tense and always been a night time grinder since i was 4 or 5 years old.

What im having is an ache in the jaw (mainly left), popping jaw when opening or yawning, toothache, tooth imprints on my tongue, sore teeth, cheek pain, sinus area/ nasal pressure, sore tongue, mouth ulcer type things, and sometimes occasional chin discomfort/ numbness.

Ive had a very bad day at work (line manager who speaks to people like they are dogs) and feel very achey tonight. Its also causing me to be in a bit of a sprial tonight with low mood. Also had a bit of blood in my snot (sorry cant think of a better word) whilst crying this morning, what could of caused this?? Was only a small amount and only noticed it once, also wondering if i have a touch of hayfever aswell??

Like i say had a rough day and in a spiral tonight and overthinking everything :( :(

I have flare ups where my pain will be really really bad and other times it's hardly noticeable.
My left side jaw is noticeably larger than my right although it may be the muscles, my jaw is sometimes sore to touch. I get the tooth imprints in the morning 'scallop edge tongue'
I apparently grind or clench my teeth at night my dentist said, i do sometimes wake up with pain in my face/jaw and headaches, i get a lot of tension headaches, neck problems and sinus pressure.

In the mornings i get a clicking popping in jaw when i open my mouth to eat breakfast but pretty much eases off during the day. My masseter muscles are very tense and usually a bit tender to press.

I can't open my mouth wide at all the gap between my top and bottom teeth is usually an inch in the mornings and maybe 2 inches maximum which is tiny

Fedup79
12-05-16, 21:31
Thanks Katiepink, does sound on and off to mine, does your aches radiate round to the top ofyour neck/ bottom of skull & do your ears feel like they need popped alot? Who would diagnose? Like dr or dentist? Andwhat self help works? Sorry for the game of 20 questions!!lol x

KatiePink
13-05-16, 07:27
Thanks Katiepink, does sound on and off to mine, does your aches radiate round to the top ofyour neck/ bottom of skull & do your ears feel like they need popped alot? Who would diagnose? Like dr or dentist? Andwhat self help works? Sorry for the game of 20 questions!!lol x

Yeah i get the pains there and my ears have a feeling of fullness, sometimes like a plane landing feeling, i pull on them and that helps. My doctor first suggested it based on my symptoms, tender jaw, headaches ect and told me i had to go to the dentist and let them check my jaw and teeth for any evidence of grinding. I knew i didn't do it in the day time, dentist said there was some, not a lot, evidence of grinding/clenching teeth on my back molars. So they said it's likely it's at night time and it's quite common, especially in people with anxiety or a lot of stress.

When my pain gets bad around my jaw i use a cold cloth on the area for a while, if my muscles are tight in my face/jaw i use a warm cloth.

If pain is bad i take paracetamol and ibuprofen. I try to do gently jaw stretches at night time, just found some on google, youtube videos for people with TMD.
Try and relax my jaw at night and making sure i have a comfy sleeping position, drink lots of water as well to keep the muscles hydrated.

Trying to release tension in the neck is hard, if you have someone to give you a massage then that's a must if not you can buy certain self massage tools to use, the muscles at the back of the neck/head are always causing me problems, i don't know if it's TMJ related at all but because they are all so closely linked they will all be firing off each other.

Working on my posture is probably the biggest challenge, as in not sitting at a computer desk for too long or slouching on the couch, and consciously stopping to check throughout the day that my neck/shoulder/face is relaxed x

Fedup79
13-05-16, 10:03
Thank you ill mention to my gp when i see him next. Got dentist in a few weeks aswell so see what they say aswell xx