PDA

View Full Version : Slightly weird one ... sore nipples

Hopeyet
13-05-16, 09:37
Hi all,

Being male this is perhaps a slightly weird one, but I keep having sore nipples and arm pits.

I have quite a persistent issue with health anxiety and a while back I got talking to someone (another bloke) who said that sore nipples was the first indication they'd had of a serious health problem. From that moment on I knew there was a good chance I'd start worrying about it! Sure enough, a few months later I seem to have sore and frequently erect nipples.

It's not painful, but it is uncomfortable; the sort of thing you might get after a long job on a cold day (except here it still happens in the warm, in comfortable clothing...)

Could this be purely psychosomatic? It just seems like a hell of a coincidence that this very unusual symptom would suddenly pop up while it's on my mind.

Mugs
13-05-16, 10:38
Hi
Did you change detergent lately?

countrygirl
13-05-16, 10:54
My thoughts exactly. Sounds very much like a slight allergic reaction to something and your nipple ( in a man) are the first point of contact with material on the chest. As your underarms are sore as well this just makes it more likely. You can also start to react to something you have used for ages so maybe change your washing stuff - don't use fabric conditioner and see if it improves.

I have never heard of sore nipples being a sign of serious illness other than in women who have pagets disese of the nipple.

Hopeyet
13-05-16, 12:49
I haven't changed anything recently. I do spend a lot of time in hotels for work getting exposed to all manner of different shower gels, though.

It's got worse since I posted on here this morning and I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least partly psychosomatic. It can be serious, though. Believe it or not, the person I mentioned said it was the first indication of what turned out to be testicular cancer.

The logical part of my brain realises that it's probably a skin allergy. The less rational part, though, naturally has other ideas. :rolleyes:

countrygirl
13-05-16, 13:28
Really testicular cancer, cannot even begin to imagine the connection.

If it continues then yes see your Dr and also explain what you have been told and that this has concerned you. Your Dr can then explain if the info yu were given could be true or not and also means the Dr can examine you and put your mind at rest. If you don't mention what you have been told then the Dr does not know you are worrying about it.

My Dr said he is not a mind reader and because he knows someone has nothing to worry about he woud not think to reassure them they don't have some obscure cancer etc but if they tell him this is what they are worrying bout then he will take the time to explain how they are wrong.

Mugs
13-05-16, 18:34
Hi
Try putting a bandaid over each one for a few days and see if that helps decrease any irritation.
Mugs

Fishmanpa
13-05-16, 19:11
Hi
Try putting a bandaid over each one for a few days and see if that helps decrease any irritation.
Mugs

Or be adventurous and use decorative pasties :)

Positive thoughts

Hopeyet
15-05-16, 11:57
Really testicular cancer, cannot even begin to imagine the connection.

Yeah, it is a weird one. It turned out he had secondary cancers too and probably only survived due to being young and extremely fit at the time of treatment (he's a professional sportsman I interviewed for work).

I don't understand the connection either, but it did stick in my mind ... hence the fact I'm posting about my current issues in the health anxiety section. I've heard of equally strange things turning out to be purely psychosomatic.

Of course, it's probably some sort of trivial skin irritation - not anxiety related at all (and nothing more serious for that matter either) but it struck me as a bit of a coincidence.