PDA

View Full Version : Paranoia, pessimism and dread

Phoenix76
14-05-16, 15:39
Has anyone else noticed that they grow paranoid and pessimistic about everything? I expect EVERYTHING to go wrong, especially stuff I am looking forward to. For example, I am considering joining my local sports centre. For £37 per month I will have access to as many yoga, meditation, swimming and gym sessions as I like. The centre is only 2 miles from my home, yet even the thought is making me anxious. First of all, I dislike being away from home (I must be careful not to allow this to morph into agoraphobia), but I also expect something to go wrong. I have this feeling that the Universe is somehow malignant and evil- like it is pushing against everything I try and do. So I assume my car will break down, that I'll get ill and waste 2 weeks money, that I wont be able to get there for some reason, even that I will get banned from driving :wtf1:

A while back I was seeing a girl I liked who lived 10 miles away from me. I liked her and looked forward to seeing her. But every time I set out I assumed I'd have a crash on the way- every time!!

Also, everything I do is like some major task. I have drawn up a plan to do yoga and meditation each night before bed. And now I am stressed in case I miss a night, or can't keep it up. Ugghh, god, my nervous system is out of control.

Lucinda07
14-05-16, 17:13
I tend to create barriers and think of bad things happening. When we are anxious, the mind is good at creating such events.
Perhaps nightly yoga/meditation practice is aiming too high. Every other night may be a more practical goal and result in more enjoyment.

wayne7
14-05-16, 21:20
Sorry to hear about the struggle. I get the same and thought it was my ocd thoughts although i get GAD too and they are closely linked. You have to try not think but do. I get nervous and its like anticipation anxiety but if i had to do the things straight away with no time to think i can. Hard to dobut we need to think less and do more. Good luck.