PDA

View Full Version : Weaned off cant sleep

Mugs
14-05-16, 19:38
Has anybody weaned off mirtazapine and then been able to use it on an as needed basis for sleep?
Please help!
Mugs

Shazamataz
14-05-16, 22:08
Oh no, you had one good night and that's it?

I feel your pain as my sleep is terrible. There was a lady on here called Sandie who weaned off as was having terrible sleep issues which continued after weaning off. She was about the same age as you, maybe relevant? She ended up on low dose amitryptiline (spelling) and was managing to sleep better.

Not sure when she was last on but you could private message her maybe?

How much sleep did you get last night?

Mugs
14-05-16, 22:13
Hi
Thanks, I have been in touch with Sandie.
I got no sleep last night. Stomach all knotted up. My doctor is away for the next week.
My pharmacist recommended trying a low dose of mirtazapine to see if it helps.
I have to do something, I'm a wreck today!
Thanks for your reply.
Mugs

SmilingAlbert
15-05-16, 11:23
Sorry to hear this Mugs.

Sounds like you have a helpful pharmacist who knows their stuff. Even a very low dose of Mirt (e.g. 3.75mg) can be helpful for sleep, though perhaps 7.5mg might be worth trying too. It is also a good dose to start up on. Is there another doctor you can see in the absence of your main one?

No/little sleep is very hard to deal with, I know! So if you can get this sorted, it will help everything else. Try and get some exercise - exhausting yourself should help - swimming, long walks (while listening to some nice podcasts about things you're interested in?) etc.

Best wishes,

Albert

MyNameIsTerry
15-05-16, 13:19
Sandie set up a new thread on the Amit board. It did seem to help her initially. I think she was able to get up to about 5 hours sleep which is at least better than the 2-3 she seemed to be stuck on before.

It's horrible not sleeping like that. I really used to effect me badly for a long time living on 5 until I made myself live on for a while to get used to it but a couple of hours wouldn't have been the same. It hammers your mood and is do frustrating to be tired all day and then not sleep!

Sandie was looking at some natural stuff. She said Melatonin helped a bit but it's hard to get here as it is classed as a med despite being an OTC everywhere (sadly some substances got banned in the UK in the nineties due to knee jerk politics) so you can probably buy it in Canada?

There are varies other natural remedies you can try. Some find magnesium helps and there is a specific form that is aimed more at sleep. Magnesium is a complicated supplement though but I've done a fair bit of research on it for my own needs so can help you understand the various forms and bioavailability issues. Magnesium supplements can be very misleading.

I'm not sure if Mirt can be used on an as and when basis. You certainly would never get a full & lasting effect and could keep facing side effects too but on a very low dose perhaps at least the side effects may be less of an issue? A short chronic period is recorded as desensitising it's sedative effect so maybe Albert or Hanshan will understand this?

Shazamataz
15-05-16, 22:44
As what Terry said it certainly loses it's sedative effects. I have been splitting my dose to try and help with sleep and 15 at night does not make me sleepy at all :(

I also tried 7.5 at night (22.5 morning) and that didnt help with sleep either, probably because I've been on it ten weeks now?