PDA

View Full Version : Anybody re start mirtazapine?

Mugs
14-05-16, 22:47
Hi again
I don't know what to do.
Has anybody had to restart taking mirtazapine?
I've been off for a few weeks but I'm really struggling, I didn't think it was doing much for me but I'm a mess today, no sleep for 2 nights, stomach in knots.
Thank-you.
Mugs

Shazamataz
14-05-16, 23:58
Oh Mugs, I can't offer advice but just wanted to lend my support. I'm not sure the Mirt has helped me that much and thinking of going off it but scared of making things worse.

Psychiatrist wants me to add venlafaxine but I'm very hesitant after the side effects I had from SSRIs.

What other meds have you tried for the anxiety?

Mugs
15-05-16, 00:21
Hi
I have tried several, all from different classes. I can't even remember them all.
Clonazapam worked well until it didn't anymore.
Now here I am.
Here are some I can recall at this time.
Zoloft
Paxil
Cipralex
Effexor
Mirtazapine
Pregabalin

Shazamataz
15-05-16, 01:36
Damn, that's a few. My list is similar and I'm in a similar position to you though I haven't tried Effexor yet. Did you have bad reactions to the SSRIs? Are they worth another shot? We can' get Pregbalin here for anxiety so that's something I'm unable to try.

Why not give the Mirt another go? What harm can it do?

Mugs
15-05-16, 02:11
Well it never helped much with my anxiety, but I did sleep better.
I guess I'm scared because of what it did to my cholesterol.
Is this withdrawal or me needing it?
I have given the SSRIs a good try some bad side effects others no effect at all.
Effexor was far too activating for me.
Thanks Sharon.

Mugs
19-05-16, 22:37
Hi again
I don't know what to do.
Has anybody had to restart taking mirtazapine?
I've been off for a few weeks but I'm really struggling, I didn't think it was doing much for me but I'm a mess today, no sleep for 2 nights, stomach in knots.
Thank-you.
Mugs

I am re posting this hoping for some replies, I have a doctors appointment Friday morning and would really like some feedback.
Thanks so much.
Mugs

Istherehope?
23-05-16, 17:16
I'm sorry you're having such a struggle Mugs. I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you. I went on Mirtazipine last October and I'm still on it. It didn't do much for me other than help me to sleep (which is quite a big thing if you're not getting any) so a psych added Venlafaxine in December which worked wonders for me and I've been stable for the last three months.

So I don't really know what to say other than don't be afraid to keep getting medical support. It took a while for me to get the right meds and my GP was at her wits end. Eventually I had to be referred to the crisis team and that's how I saw a psych who sorted out my meds. None of that would have happened if I hadn't kept on pushing my GP and saying that I needed the help (which I really did, I was in a pretty bad way last year).

Anyway, sorry to not be more helpful, it sounds like things are pretty rough for you.

Joy x

ocdbaking
29-08-16, 14:02
I was mirtazapine for several years before recently, and very temporarily, moved to prozac. I had a horrendous week on prozac and feel a lot better on mirtazapine already (it's only been two days!). I was moved off it because my anxiety had increased after the sudden death of my mum, but the move onto prozac just made life unbearable. I'm personally relieved to be back on mirtazapine!

Colinp
23-11-16, 09:55
how long to work

Shazamataz
23-11-16, 20:19
how long to work

They say that if Mirt is going to help it will do so within two weeks and any improvement in that two weeks is the best you will get. Don't quote me on this but it's something I read and experienced.

ocdbaking
23-11-16, 20:32
I slept better after one tablet, felt dizzy for a week at the most, and began to feel more stable after two weeks.

Tony52
25-11-16, 14:42
I restarted Mirt 30mg about 10 days ago after being on various doses from 7.5mg to 45 mg for about 3 months recently, without any success.
Had 4 days on Sertraline in between which made me almost suicidal and GP took me off them.
Problem is I have gone right through all the regular meds like Citalopram,Prozac ,Venlafaxine etc in about six episodes of anxiety and depression since about 1992.
The last time I was in a really bad way after 15 or more weeks on Ven with the night sweats etc. and poor sleep,and just not getting any better. Felt suicidal again and my GP took me off Ven for 5 days and then start Mirt 15mg.
I was worried about weaning off Ven like that, but felt so much better by the time I started on Mirt. It was as if I wasn't taking any med at all by then and within a few more days I was my normal self. Stayed on it for 6 months as I was feeling fine all that time.This was all back in January 2013 and been fine since then ,up to July this year when I went back on Mirt.
GP and myself came to an agreement after the Sertraline failure , to restart Mirt 30 mg. again, as the plus side was I get a good nights sleep although a bit groggy in the morning.
I am full of positive thinking and motivation to get better, although motivation for all the things I used to enjoy in life is very hard to muster at the moment.
I am posting here just hoping there may be others who are in a similar situation.
I hope all this makes sense as I also find it difficult to get my head together to write all this down to explain it all.
I am just not the same in my head as my normal self, but I know I will get better.
I know from past experience it is not a quick fix, but I do so want this Mirtazapine to work for me.