PDA

View Full Version : Dr Claire Weekes.

Petesy
16-05-16, 20:46
Hi if you've read this brilliant womans books, then have a listen to her explain how you're feeling and her own remarkable take on our suffering...what a woman :D

Dr Claire Weekes: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVzz6_TXOsIEKzPrlb9IHh1-WWDKMFazP

Really great stuff :winks:

Petesy

Carnation
16-05-16, 20:48
Brilliant Petesy :yesyes:

Petesy
17-05-16, 11:44
Brilliant Petesy :yesyes:

You're welcome Carnation :welcome:

Hope it helps.

Carnation
17-05-16, 11:58
Oh, I am a big fan. As you say, what a woman she was. x

GingerFish
20-05-16, 08:48
I'm the ultimate Claire Weekes fan girl :p I honestly couldn't be more grateful for her and her work. She is what got me through my experience with PD, nothing else. I only wish she was still alive so I could thank her in person.

Mojo61
20-05-16, 09:26
I agree, reading her first book "Self Help For Your Nerves" really changed my attitude towards my anxiety and made me finally understand the mechanisms behind the condition and how to address it. No doctor or therapist has ever explained it to me in that way, I have no idea why because it is simple really!

I have now bought her second book "More Help For Your Nerves" and I'm going to buy the others she has written too. OK, she writes in quite an old fashioned way but that just makes the books even more comforting in my opinion. Doctors should give out free copies of her books to everyone suffering from anxiety, panic and depression as they really do help.

MyNameIsTerry
20-05-16, 10:30
Doctors should give out free copies of her books to everyone suffering from anxiety, panic and depression as they really do help.

This is a rather sad thing because one of her books was on the NHS Book Prescription Scheme which allowed any medical professional to write you a prescription to obtain a copy from your local library. But I was looking on there recently and it is no longer listed.

It's also sad that I don't think I've ever heard anyone on here, about from me, mentioning this service. So, I doubt GP's are even using it or are aware of it, but they should be on both counts.

There are still a range of CBT style books on there though and I think I spotted ones like Feel The Fear & Do It Anyway and others. I guess I should post a thread to highlight it?!!!

debs71
20-05-16, 14:27
I bought her book some years ago.

Sorry to say, but didn't do anything for me personally.....all of the ' accepting and floating' nonsense never made any sense to me.

A book that helped me a lot was 'Coping with Anxiety and Depression' by Shirley Trickett. I found it invaluable for calming down my fear of (especially) anxiety and panic. It had simple, plain speaking explanations of depression/anxiety/panic sensations and feelings, with none of the 'rise above it' stuff that I personally found less than helpful.