PDA

View Full Version : Hi

nell 64
17-05-16, 13:19
My name is Nell, I am new here, so please bear with me. I have had a fairly traumatic life, I was a neglected child, a battered wife, an abused partner,I had 2 strokes,and through all this I brought up my kids to be happy healthy adults. I thought that I had put all this behind me, I have put the past where it belongs and let go of all the hurt and the pain. I remarried , to a decent man, we have a lovely home and are enjoying our grandchildren. (I am 51 years old). Everything was lovely till last September, when I was held at gunpoint by an armed robber in my own home. I managed to escape and have since been treated for ptsd, and severe depression and anxiety. It is almost as if the break in has brought everything else to the surface, and I just can't cope with it all at once. I feel overwhelmed and don't know how to get through it. I have counselling with a psychologist weekly, where I have made progress with the ptsd, but I am struggling with the cognitive therapy. I also see victim support every 2 weeks. I would be grateful for any advice or even empathy , thank you xx

venusbluejeans
17-05-16, 13:25
Hiya nell 64 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

fduop
18-05-16, 16:28
Good morning Nell 64. I glad to hear you made it through unharmed at lest physically. While I haven't been robbed, my youngest daughter and ex-mother-in-law have. They were both robbed while working at stores. My daughter is doing well after some counselling but my ex-mother-in-law had a rough time for a number of years afterward. The thing is you are a survivor and while you may feel overwhelmed right now, just from what you've said, you will make it.

The best thing is to be patient with yourself and allow the therapy to sink-in. In my situation I've been working on my panic/anxiety for a long time, but then again I'm a bit of a mess. But you, you are a survivor and you will do just great.