PDA

View Full Version : Can't stop thinking about breathing

DPW16
17-05-16, 15:38
Right!

I'm sat watching television, comfy sofa, nice glass of orange next to me and a comedy is on the television.

Couldn't be more relaxed!.

Next minute I suddenly start thinking about my breathing.
Concentration leaves the comedy and goes straight into the breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out. I put my fingers on my pulse (god knows why).

I fear I'm not taking in enough oxygen I suppose, and ultimately fear having a full blown panic attack where I'd start hyperventilating etc.

I just don't understand why this would happen when I'm completely chilled.
I'm not worried about anything nor have anything serious on my mind.

So stupid and annoying.

Does anyone else get this??

netminder1976
17-05-16, 17:13
Happens to me too. I refer to it as it feels like somebody flipped a switch. It's terrible not knowing when it's going to happen.

Petesy
18-05-16, 00:40
I get it too, could be enjoying myself etc then boom right out of the blue breathing goes funny like i can't take a full breath then as you said fingers straight on my neck checking my pulse.. And if I don't manage to control it where it is then full blown panic attacks..

Annoying as hell as if it's just lurking waiting too spoil good times..

Take care.

Petesy.

DPW16
18-05-16, 11:30
Haha yeah it's mental (excuse the pun).

I just can't understand why!.

I've literally read book after book on anxiety & panic and truly don't think there's anything left to learn (I feel like I could be a therapist).

i just don't understand why my mental state would kick start a thunderstorm over sitting on a sofa relaxing.

There's literally nothing to run from, My body has no reason to panic, and I've no reason to feel how I do.

I spend most of the time pre-panic talking to myself and saying things like ''THIS IS RIDICULOUSSSSSS'' ''GET A GRIP DAVE''
but even when I know that I'm fine I still get all the horrible symptoms.

Which is why I can't understand it fully and feel there must be a physical explanation to why they begin rather than a mental one.

I'm thinking of going on medication as I haven't tried that route before. But I hate the thought of being stuck on pills the rest of my life for something so ridiculous.

Have a good panic free day all :)

Dave