PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Depressant & Low Carb Diet = Bad Idea

Victory2016
18-05-16, 01:55
Interesting read! I follow a Paleo diet and its pretty low carb (50-75 daily ). Looks like being on a low carb diet while on anti-depressants is a bad idea as it effects Serotonin. Just thought I would share. I was trying to figure out why I am constantly hungry and its probably because I need to increase my Carb intake. :huh:

I did several google searches and this theory seems to be consistent.

I dont agree with eating protein and carbs separate as indicated in the article, but I think just being low carb alone can wreck havoc for some people.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/judith-j-wurtman-phd/weight-loss-10-tips-to-pr_b_629564.html

HalfJack
18-05-16, 04:03
I'm also on a similar diet but if you're feeling hungry that could just be your body essentially missing carbs rather than needing them.

For my diet I kind of adapted Paleo to my lifestyle with the guidance of a dietitian, and she gave me the exact opposite advice, she said there were better foods that increase seratonin and don't have negative effects like carbs and sugars do (mood crash, fatigue, acid etc) which are associated more with making depression worse.

But regardless of what you read here or online, it's worth trying different things out and finding what works for you.

Low carb is good for me, but I don't cut them out. Or even count them, I just cut out things like bread and pasta which are especially high in carbs. I eat a lot of fresh fish, dairy, vegetables, fruit and protein. I eat the same meals I used to I just replace the carbs with greens usually.

---------- Post added at 04:03 ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 ----------

Nothing in this would could make me stop eating sweet potatoes!

Victory2016
18-05-16, 11:08
I'm also on a similar diet but if you're feeling hungry that could just be your body essentially missing carbs rather than needing them.

For my diet I kind of adapted Paleo to my lifestyle with the guidance of a dietitian, and she gave me the exact opposite advice, she said there were better foods that increase seratonin and don't have negative effects like carbs and sugars do (mood crash, fatigue, acid etc) which are associated more with making depression worse.

But regardless of what you read here or online, it's worth trying different things out and finding what works for you.

Low carb is good for me, but I don't cut them out. Or even count them, I just cut out things like bread and pasta which are especially high in carbs. I eat a lot of fresh fish, dairy, vegetables, fruit and protein. I eat the same meals I used to I just replace the carbs with greens usually.

---------- Post added at 04:03 ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 ----------

Nothing in this would could make me stop eating sweet potatoes!

Lol!! I agree I love sweet potatoes and yams!! I have been eating paleo, gluten, sugar and diary free for over a year now. I agree that we need to eat good carbs, but maybe there is some truth around this. Like you said we all need to find out what works for us, but I thought this was really interesting....

Have a great day

HalfJack
18-05-16, 14:39
Oh wow well done you! I thought about going sugar but I just couldn't do it. I went vegan in my teens for a while, I could do that! But cutting out sugar is just never going to happen for me.
Yeah very interesting, will deff keep it in mind to watch out for mood changes when I do eat carbs now.

Noivous
18-05-16, 16:52
Wow! Victory...I can't believe you posted this. I went on a low-carb diet last year I put my body into ketosis. you probably know that when the body is in ketosis you really don't get hungry all that much. Which is one reason it is successful at losing weight. So I'm trying to figure out why you're hungry. so I'm not sure if you are into ketosis or even if that is your goal? How long have you been doing the low carb thing? I was on low carb or no carb for quite a while and I slipped back in to eating carbs. but I'm definitely going to get back into low carb again soon probably starting today actually but diet and our over all emotional state are definitely linked together.

N.

Victory2016
18-05-16, 17:19
Oh wow well done you! I thought about going sugar but I just couldn't do it. I went vegan in my teens for a while, I could do that! But cutting out sugar is just never going to happen for me.
Yeah very interesting, will deff keep it in mind to watch out for mood changes when I do eat carbs now.

Yea cutting sugar was hard! I miss ice cream the most lol. The only sugar i get is from fruit, but fruit that is low in sugar.

---------- Post added at 16:19 ---------- Previous post was at 16:08 ----------

Wow! Victory...I can't believe you posted this. I went on a low-carb diet last year I put my body into ketosis. you probably know that when the body is in ketosis you really don't get hungry all that much. Which is one reason it is successful at losing weight. So I'm trying to figure out why you're hungry. so I'm not sure if you are into ketosis or even if that is your goal? How long have you been doing the low carb thing? I was on low carb or no carb for quite a while and I slipped back in to eating carbs. but I'm definitely going to get back into low carb again soon probably starting today actually but diet and our over all emotional state are definitely linked together.

N.

Well I went Paleo not intending to due low carb. It kind of happened by mistake, so I probably have been back and forth into ketosis. Because I am gluten free I also cut out most grains. I also don't eat legumes due to food intolerence. Veggies are my only source of Carbs and I cut sugar from my diet, so I rarely eat fruit and when I do its only like berries and apples.

It could be possible that I am not getting enough calories in my diet too. I am going to experiment with a high carb intake for the next few days like 150 a day. I also have a thyroid disorder and I just read low carb for some people with thyroid disorders can be bad as carbs are needed to help convert hormones and the article mentioned we should be eating at least 130-150 carbs a day.

Ohh by the way I eat this way for a healthy lifestyle and had to cut out a lot of foods due to intolerances. I did not do this to lose weight.

Noivous
18-05-16, 22:16
Ah..okay. You sound like you are ahead of me in regards to learning about what your food intolerances are. I am still finding my low carb self but in doing so I find that I feel much better when eating certain foods and not eating others. I sleep better too. I agree that you may not be getting enough calories. I know you're not doing it out of weight concerns but that's the good thing about low carb - one can get enough calories without having to worry about weight gain. Fat doesn't make one fat!

N.

Victory2016
18-05-16, 22:50
Ah..okay. You sound like you are ahead of me in regards to learning about what your food intolerances are. I am still finding my low carb self but in doing so I find that I feel much better when eating certain foods and not eating others. I sleep better too. I agree that you may not be getting enough calories. I know you're not doing it out of weight concerns but that's the good thing about low carb - one can get enough calories without having to worry about weight gain. Fat doesn't make one fat!

N.

I went to the doctors today and she said i was not getting enough carbs and calories. She said this can cause mood and anxiety problems. I guess most recently I haven't been eating enough from the anxiety and side effects of the meds. My stomach is still messed up, but it is getting better though.

I took an IGG Food Intolerance Test, but I am not sure how accurate they are. I think your better off doing an elimination diet and then try to reintroduce.

So I managed to get to 172 net carbs and 1530 calories. I just finished dinner and I must say I do feel a little better. We will see how this goes over the next couple of days.