PDA

View Full Version : Would the MRI have shown an aneurysm?

LiamRoseic
18-05-16, 05:53
I had an MRI done two days ago and have an appointment with my doctor to go over it next week. I have the report and pictures ahead of time, however.

The report says:
1.Negative brain MRI exam as described above.
2.No intracranial mass or mass effect
3.No ishemia
4.No findings of demyelinating disease

Technique:T1-weighted sagittal, T2-weighted axial, FLAIR axial, gradient echo axial, diffusion weighted axiel.

It says more than that... It says in more detail that things look fine but I was wondering about an aneurysm since I never saw it brought up in the report.

It was just a normal MRI because of headaches with no contrast.

---------- Post added at 21:53 ---------- Previous post was at 21:33 ----------

Anyone? Please, I need to hear something before next week.... Similar experiences, what you know,... anything.

Gary A
18-05-16, 07:52
Number 4 is your answer. "No findings of demyelinating disease." A brain aneurysm is simply a bulge in a blood vessel, this would have been easily picked up by an MRI scan.

Most people think of an aneurysm as the actual rupture of the blood vessel, which of course is extremely dangerous, but the fact is that aneurysms are just the bulging of the vessel, and in fact, very few actually rupture.

If there were any signs of bulging vessels, it would have been picked up very easily. The MRI scan is how aneurysms are diagnosed, that you had a completely normal MRI should really put your mind at ease.

LiamRoseic
18-05-16, 18:04
I think I might get a second opinion just to be safe. I've been having very weird migraines and also a weird numbing/cold feeling on the right side of my head that is just getting worse. I actually thought that I had somehow got some water in my hair today it was that bad.

Fishmanpa
18-05-16, 18:08
That's some pretty expensive reassurance especially in light of a completely normal MRI two days ago. Are you getting help with your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

Gary A
18-05-16, 23:11
What could be more reassuring than a clear result from the most accurate and detailed form of imagery in medicine? You may still be having physical symptoms, but your MRI shows that whatever is causing them, it is not your brain.

LiamRoseic
19-05-16, 03:35
Well I looked up if an MRI would show an unruptured one and I couldn't get a definite answer. I saw that an MRA would for sure but didn't see anything about the MRI. I know they don't usually show ones that are 2mm or under. Could ones that small even kill you?

LiamRoseic
22-05-16, 01:53
It was also just 20 minutes. What does a shorter time mean?