PDA

View Full Version : really freaked out 2 nightmares about having a heart attack chest pain when I wake up

gordie1
18-05-16, 23:47
HI there
I am really freaked out I have had 2 nightmares 2 nights in row about paramedics telling me I am having a massive heart attack. When I wake up I am having chest pain and I go and get an indigestion remedy and it goes away. However I am really freaked out could I be having a heart attack in my sleep and my head trying to tell me that. The last few days I have been having cold and clammy feelings and pouring with sweat and arm and back and neck pain. But my anxiety levels are really high and I am having mood swings. I am now scared to go to sleep

Gary A
19-05-16, 00:25
Sounds like nocturnal panic attacks to me, actually quite a common form. If I recall correctly, something like 1/3rd of panic attacks happen whilst asleep, and it's almost always triggered by dreams or nightmares.

Having chest and muscular pains after a panic attack is also very common. I would speak to your doctor about this, you certainly weren't having heart attacks, as you simply wouldn't be on this forum asking, you would be in no doubt. However, panic attacks can be quite debilitating, so do be sure to seek help.

In the meantime, try some chamomile tea if you have any to hand, or perhaps some kind of herbal sleeping aid.

Nicholebear
19-05-16, 00:33
I've had a panic attack in my sleep before. It sucks.

You mentioned heart burn relief helped, have you been eating right before you go to bed?

gordie1
19-05-16, 00:35
yes chocolate

Nicholebear
19-05-16, 00:47
yes chocolate

Ah there you have it

Chocolate is a big culprit in acid reflux, probably exacerbated by your anxiety.
Here's a link so you can read it for yourself
http://www.health.com/health/m/gallery/0,,20443643_2,00.html

Don't eat chocolate before bed, I'm positive that's what caused it xo