PDA

View Full Version : The Flat Effect/ Lack of feeling

dread
19-05-16, 00:06
As a long term GAD sufferer, I have come to realise over the past few months that I don't really feel...well..anything.

It's hard to explain, but I don't feel very happy, or very sad, and seem to have little not reaction to things like bad news (bereavement) etc.

I can be happy or sad in general, but no strong emotions. It's also incredibly hard for someone to make me jump, I find that I can't laugh too strongly or for prolonged periods of time.

I'd say it really bothers me..but I feel like I just don't care! I've seen it referred to as 'the flat effect' but I don't want to consult Dr Google, ever!

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I can't reduce my medication (Citalopram 30mg,. almost 8 years) as I have come down from 60mg already and I tried to get them lower but I relapse.

Thanks

HalfJack
19-05-16, 00:44
You might find it passes. I've had long periods of that, I find that my symptoms of depression etc change now and then and can surprise me, I've had it over 15 years and I still get surprises! Sometimes they last sometimes they don't.

I totally appreciate that you'd relapse if you stopped because I'm the same. I've changed medications because one made me "dead inside". For me it was literally like I was dead, I just stopped having interest in talking and stuff.