PDA

View Full Version : Where to go to get diagnosed?

Filthy1
12-03-07, 14:52
I have a feeling i suffer from Anxiety/GAD/OCD from describing my thoughts and symptoms and experiences on here and doing a lot of reasearch. ive been to my GP and spoken to my councillor about this and all I got was a freudian interpretation on my anxiety and how im having some problem with my inner child! My GP wasnt much more help as she told me that "you cant have obsessions without compulsions" and I appeared to know more about ocd than she did. Both pretty much brushed over the notion.
So I was wondering where do I go to get diagnosed! I know it sounds stupid but if someone could tell me for definate this is what Ive got or not I can start todo something about it and can recognise if the thoughts are real or part or...whatever.

Any ideas who I can contact or if i need to get referred?

nomorepanic
12-03-07, 19:24
Not much help were they then?

You could ask to be referred to see a counsellor of some form or another for some therapy like CBT.

I know how much it helps when they explain what you have rather than saying it could be this or that.

Filthy1
13-03-07, 12:21
apparently the waiting list is enormous for CBT. isnt there somewhere you can get diagnosed?

jo61
13-03-07, 12:29
It might be worth asking for a referral to a psychiatrist. It's expensive if you go private but if you got put on a waiting list it might only take a cuople of months. Your GP might then take you seriously at least.

Filthy1
13-03-07, 12:48
it will be about the 5th time ive mentioned it now, its getting frustrating!

nomorepanic
13-03-07, 13:35
See if you can get your name on the list as I think you have to see a psychiatrist/psychotherapist first before they even refer you to CBT.

Can you afford to do this privately?

little one
13-03-07, 14:49
If all else fails ask for a second party to see you from the mental health system. Or if you are really feeling bad go to a&e and you can be fast tracked into the system and be seen quicker.

I have had OCD since I was 16 and I am now 35 years old. Its hard to get a diagnosis but keep going and someone will take notice.

little one