PDA

View Full Version : Worried about health and symptoms

PA91
19-05-16, 07:40
Hi all

Recently I have been having these problems and I would like to know if this is something that could be caused by anxiety.

stiff neck
headaches
hot cheeks, ears, neck/flushing
swollen nodes/glands in neck (i think)
sore lumps in armpit that move to different positions on different days

I have been suffering from what I think is health anxiety for over a year now, my worry being that I have HIV. I haven't been having panic attacks or anything like that, just very worried and constantly thinking, worrying and obsessing about HIV, symptoms and illness. Now these problems have started popping up then it's just making things worse.

I know I need to go to the doctors but I'm too worried and just can't face it.

Edit: probably worth adding that I am a 24 year old male

Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum.

Beckybecks
19-05-16, 08:04
The firs three I can relate to, having had similar symptoms all due to anxiety.
I'm not a Dr so can't comment on the other two except to say I have had them in the past due to infection for which I was treated with antibiotics.
When we have health anxiety every little thing becomes major to us. And if we're fixated on one particular illness we will find every symptom we can that might just relate to that illness.
Try to think rationally and if you need reassurance, visit the Doctor. You will probably find you have nothing to worry about and have caused yourself unnecessary stress.

PA91
19-05-16, 09:34
Thanks for your reply. That's reassuring to hear that someone else has had the same, what worries me is that the stiff neck and flushing seem to come on even when at work and my mind is not 100% focused on worrying about illness. Is this normal? Am I subconsciously worrying and that's causing it?

The glands/nodes are a recent thing, have had it on and off for a few weeks and I have a feeling that the armpit ones may have been caused by hair being pulled and then myself poking around.

Beckybecks
19-05-16, 09:59
From experience I've found that these symptoms come after a period of anxiety. I believe that the stress hormones build up in your system and this causes the fuzzy head etc. So you may not be anxious at the time, but you were in the past. I tend to have flare-ups (as I call them) that can last from a week up to three months sometimes. But the more I worry about the symptoms the longer they last. What I hold on to is the fact that I know that they do eventually disappear. I take lots of vitamins and walk for exercise.

ankietyjoe
19-05-16, 12:24
You absolutely don't have to feel anxious to experience symptoms.

In my experience the after effects of a period of bad anxiety or stress can last weeks (and in some cases months). This happens more with low level worry than sporadic all out panic attacks (again, in my experience).

I would suggest you pay a visit to the GP to get a once over. It'll be nothing.

OhioMom65
19-05-16, 13:48
I have a neck lump pop up after a period of intense stress (either physical or emotional). It has happened to me for the last 30 years. Not very often....maybe 10 times in the last 30 years. But it's always in the same place, painful, and always follows a very stiff neck due to tightened muscles, due to stress. I've never had it check out. However, it happened just recently, and I just happened to have a physical and bloodwork while it was there, and my white cell count was in the normal ranges, so I think it's nothing -- or not life threatening, anyway. Stress can really do a number on us!

Kay8010
19-05-16, 14:18
I have had a tight globus throat now since January and the Dr has told me I a have anxiety however I am convinced that I have something more sinister!

My symptoms can get so bad that I developed 'sun burnt skin' for about 6 months with no sun burn......trust me being originally from South Africa I know what sun burn is.....my Dr then all those years ago diagnosed me with Anxiety disorder....

Adding though my first CBT session is next month.........wont help as I am still convinced I have cancer!

PA91
19-05-16, 21:25
Just reading through the replies on here has really helped and relieved me, so thank you for helping me. Once again its flaired up again this evening, stiff neck, boiling hot cheeks, a feeling as if my neck is swelling on both sides and a general feeling of being unwell.

I will try my best to brave it and just get on and go to the doctors as soon as I can.

Reading other people's experiences has reassured me but it's just so hard to believe that anxiety can cause such harsh symptoms and have such an effect on the body!

PA91
23-05-16, 10:56
Does anyone else get bad mouth ulcers with their anxiety??

Blinker
09-06-16, 20:15
Hey PA91,

I'm a 24 year old male and have had almost exactly the same symptoms as your
When you're stressed, your body does some strange things -

-You can become flushed in the face, which makes you think it is a fever
- You are very tense all the time and you don't realise that you are causing tension to your neck and shoulder muscles
- Mouth Ulcers are extremely common with stress. I get them frequently and have done for years, especially if I don't get enough sleep.

I used to constantly scan my body, checking my neck, armpits and groin for swollen nodes. Looking down my throat to see if it looked inflamed. Checking my skin for rashes. If your constantly poking and prodding around your body - you are bound to make some areas feel a little sensitive, which is heightened by your worry.
You become hyper sensitive to every tiny thing on your body and begin to question if something was always there.
If you had swollen lymph nodes, you would usually 100% know it, so if you are unsure - you could be convincing yourself that something is there when it's not.

Have you had any risks since you were last checked?

The best thing is to go to a sexual health clinic and get checked out - it will probably be the only way to put your mind at rest. It was for me. Have an honest conversation with them and they will put you at ease.

Blinker

ashyam86343
03-05-17, 18:04
Hi PS91 and blinker .
How do you feel, have you recovered. I have the same symptoms. Pls comment.