PDA

View Full Version : Has anxiety affected your appearance?

KatiePink
19-05-16, 14:30
I'm just curious if anyone else feels that stress and anxiety has had an impact on their appearance. I don't just mean in a sense of 'letting yourself go' but for example your skin.

The last few months i have started having redness and blemishes on my face, more pimples and just a bad complexion. I have always had good skin, never had any issue;s with acne or anything like that, although i do have quite sensitive skin.

Can stress cause these changes maybe?

I also just feel i look so old for my age(25), although everyone around me says i actually look far younger than 25, i don't see it.
Is it 'normal' to have wrinkles at this age, they're not deep and definitive but i have a fair few under and around my eyes, i also have dark circles under my eyes most of the time.

I do smoke which won't be helping with this either, i have a good diet and never drink.
It makes me sad when i look in the mirror as i can see all these changes which just makes me depressed.

Fishmanpa
19-05-16, 14:48
Stress from an illness, be it physical or mental can cause you to look older and age prematurely. My before/after photos from my physical illnesses show that plainly. I saw it with my ex and her depression. Constant worry and frowning will wrinkle you skin. Smoking most definitely does that!

Treating your illness and quitting will help solve the issue.

Positive thoughts

KatiePink
19-05-16, 14:52
I just feel like smacking my head off of a wall for putting my body through so much stress grrr :mad: but i doubt that would help..

Stopping smoking, treating anxiety, lowering stress and drinking more water is what i need to do, feels like an impossible mountain to climb :lac:

Fishmanpa
19-05-16, 15:09
I just feel like smacking my head off of a wall for putting my body through so much stress grrr :mad: but i doubt that would help..

Stopping smoking, treating anxiety, lowering stress and drinking more water is what i need to do, feels like an impossible mountain to climb :lac:

Of those four things, let's look at each one.

Drinking more water: That's the easiest of the four. It's as simple as making a habit of carrying around a water bottle and drinking some every hour regardless if you're thirsty.

Lowering Stress: While this has a lot to do with treating your anxiety, there are very easy things you can do to reduce stress. A walk everyday or meditation, listening to music, LAUGHING ;)

Treating Anxiety: my question to you would be "How hard is it to make a phone call or get on a waiting list for CBT?" It's a phone call!
Also, "How hard is it to read a book on treating anxiety or download a CBT course or workbook off the internet?" If you can log onto a forum and post, you can download some worksheets or a CBT course. You could also speak to your GP about meds in the interim to help you cope. Talking is not difficult ;)

Stopping Smoking: Without a doubt, this one is the toughest. Smoking will cause you issues down the line. There are no if's and's or buts. Many have gone to vaping. I did that and reduced to 0% nicotine and was done. Of course, with the cancer, I had no choice anyway if you know what I mean. It's much better to have that choice and do the right thing. As with therapy, there are online support systems and information that can help.

When you look at it as I described, the mountain is not quite as tall as you believe it to be!

Positive thoughts

KatiePink
19-05-16, 15:29
Of those four things, let's look at each one.

Drinking more water: That's the easiest of the four. It's as simple as making a habit of carrying around a water bottle and drinking some every hour regardless if you're thirsty.

Lowering Stress: While this has a lot to do with treating your anxiety, there are very easy things you can do to reduce stress. A walk everyday or meditation, listening to music, LAUGHING ;)

Treating Anxiety: my question to you would be "How hard is it to make a phone call or get on a waiting list for CBT?" It's a phone call!
Also, "How hard is it to read a book on treating anxiety or download a CBT course or workbook off the internet?" If you can log onto a forum and post, you can download some worksheets or a CBT course. You could also speak to your GP about meds in the interim to help you cope. Talking is not difficult ;)

Stopping Smoking: Without a doubt, this one is the toughest. Smoking will cause you issues down the line. There are no if's and's or buts. Many have gone to vaping. I did that and reduced to 0% nicotine and was done. Of course, with the cancer, I had no choice anyway if you know what I mean. It's much better to have that choice and do the right thing. As with therapy, there are online support systems and information that can help.

When you look at it as I described, the mountain is not quite as tall as you believe it to be!

Positive thoughts

I am in the middle of CBT therapy at the moment, and what you have just done i.e breaking down thoughts to put them in to perspective is one of the things we have gone through, clearly i still need to practice this.

Challenging my thoughts are distinguishing between real and hypothetical worries!
Stopping smoking is a must and i need to mention this to my GP as they have offered me help in the past now i need to take it. I watched my nan die of cancer and it was absolutely dreadful and as you say there are no if's or but's about the affect its having on my health.

Lowering stress can be done, i just need to be consistent and catch myself when i'm slipping back in to old ways, i have a good sense of humour and even through very difficult times always manage to crack a joke, i think it's very much needed, i am trying meditation too.

One step at a time i suppose..

Fishmanpa
19-05-16, 16:10
I did the CBT4PANIC that was offered here along with one on one therapy after my illness to help with some depression and "scanxiety". This is one of the things I learned. I still use these techniques in my everyday life challenges. Why? it works! ;)

You're on the right path....One foot in front of the other......

Positive thoughts

misslove
19-05-16, 17:02
Pimples could certainly be from stress. Saying you look old for your age pish posh. Thats just today's women. Your gonna get wrinkles. Some people get them younger and some don't get them until they are older. Mostly depends on your skin type and genetics. There are a million creams for your skin if your worried about it. I have wrinkles around my eyes and I say il gonna get those creams but when I'm at the store looking at them and see their price, I'll take the wrinkles! Find beauty in the way you look, eat clean and you'll be fine!

KatiePink
19-05-16, 17:18
Pimples could certainly be from stress. Saying you look old for your age pish posh. Thats just today's women. Your gonna get wrinkles. Some people get them younger and some don't get them until they are older. Mostly depends on your skin type and genetics. There are a million creams for your skin if your worried about it. I have wrinkles around my eyes and I say il gonna get those creams but when I'm at the store looking at them and see their price, I'll take the wrinkles! Find beauty in the way you look, eat clean and you'll be fine!

Yeah my partner says i'm being ridiculous and that i'm seeing things other people can't, and nobody gets that close to your face ect haha. I think it is just another manifestation of my anxiety being anxious over my face and then i get down about it, i've always been confident but these last few months i feel like a troll.

I find it really sad that i can't go out without make up on :lac:

MyNameIsTerry
19-05-16, 22:42
Treating an anxiety disorder is very difficult and by far a lot harder than giving up smoking. There is also lots of support for giving up smoking when compared to mental health treatment which can be difficult to access. :ohmy:

Certainly any stress impacts general health and your skin. People without these disorders who are under stress often mention breakouts.

GingerFish
20-05-16, 08:43
Apart from weight loss from OCD and depression, I have noticed changes in my appearance such as I come out in more spots, I have constant bags under eyes, I always look tired and almost drugged like sometimes.

Carnation
20-05-16, 09:06
Yes, it does, but we also over summarise how we look and only see the bad.

My hair falls out, more spots, very dry skin. sometimes, swollen eyelids, a bit red.
Dark circles under the eyes, sad looking face and so on.

However, the good news is that it all seems to disappear when I go on holiday.

Anxiety, Depression and Panic Attacks have a lot to answer to!

KatiePink
20-05-16, 14:25
Yes, it does, but we also over summarise how we look and only see the bad.

True that's what my partner says and that i am looking to find things that are wrong and these things i point out aren't even noticeable lol
The dark circles under my eyes are easily covered with make up ,but i suppose your emotional state can really show in your face because i never had any of these things before my 'meltdown'

Fedup79
23-05-16, 20:19
Yes!! Even people are starting to notice. I was always a case of not leaving the house without make up, now im like a squirt of deodrant and a brush through my hair and its fine. My eyes are permantly surrounded by bags, acne wrinkles and blemishes. Im only 23 and look a good 5 yeats older :/ Saving up to get my mary kay back lol xx