PDA

View Full Version : Just had my last CBT appointment...

ServerError
19-05-16, 19:21
So I've just got home from my last session of CBT. Well, technically, this was the follow up, but you know. Anyway, according to my therapist, based on the criteria they use, I'm considered recovered! I'm so pleased to have reached this point.

Don't get me wrong, neither me nor my therapist are naive enough to believe that the arbitrary scoring system they use means I really am fully recovered. I'm definitely not. Sometimes I still feel pretty grotty, but I've made great progress.

Incase you think I'm just here to pat myself on the back, maybe I am a bit, but really I just want to demonstrate what can be achieved. I know I may face new challenges when I decide to come off the medication, but I can't imagine falling into the same pit of despair again. I've worked too hard on understanding anxiety and challenging my thought processes to end up back in that spiral again.

A few things that helped me:

1) Acceptance - I cannot tell you how much it helped to begin to just allow myself to feel however I felt without creating catastrophic stories around it. This wasn't/isn't easy to do, but if you can truly get it, it can surely help you too.

2) Therapy - I was very lucky to get in quickly, but once in, I applied myself to what was required. I can see how the course you get here really only scratches the surface of what CBT should be, but I still learnt some useful techniques.

3) Medication - I'm sick of paying for it and I'm having some mild side effects, but the Sertraline and Propranolol really helped get me back on my feet.

4) Trusting the experts - Health anxiety was never the biggest facet of my anxiety, but I did have a period of intense fear of my symptoms. As I said to my therapist today, I came to realise that if I wasn't going to be reassured by the doctors then I'd never find reassurance anywhere ever. Unless God came along and told me I'm fine, but I'm not convinced of his existence, so...

5) Living - I can't stress enough the importance of this, at least for me. I stopped allowing my emotional and physical feelings dictate what I do. This simple decision crushed my agoraphobia in an instant. I'm not saying it's easy, but when it stopped mattering how I felt, I realised I could do anything.

6) Realisation - Anxiety is like that frightening teacher you had at school who intimidated you but you had a grudging respect for. It has lots to tell you about yourself and your relationship with the world, but you have to be open to it. I came to realise the damage worry was doing to me and how my insecurity and low self-esteem simply had to change. I also had the sudden realisation that my thoughts don't become reality just because I have them. This was huge for me. I stopped giving so much respect to my thoughts and they lost their power over me.

I'm not saying I'm all better now, no matter what my score says. I wish I was. But I'm out of the spiral and living well again. I'm comfortable with my state. Good luck to everyone else on this journey. Believe me, you can do it.

Fishmanpa
19-05-16, 19:41
Brilliant post! It's quite apparent the changes from the time you started posting. Keep up on the exercises and techniques to stay on the healing path. Supplement it with online CBT refresher info and books. Always be moving forward from here on out.

I hope others that are in the pit of anxiety read this and are inspired.

Positive thoughts

JaneS
20-05-16, 00:00
Inspirational post. Great to hear your successes. I have never tried CBT as seen so many counsellors in the past that have not helped my health anxiety that I felt nothing else would help, your post has changed my mind and I think I should investigate further.

Mugs
20-05-16, 06:43
Congratulations Michael.
Your hard work has paid off and is an inspiration to all of us.
Good job:yahoo:
Mugs

pulisa
20-05-16, 08:35
Such a truly positive post and a reflection of how hard work and determination can really help you manage and move on from anxiety's hold. Really pleased for you.

Superworrier
20-05-16, 09:48
Thank you so much for sharing this so inspirational .
To anyone thinking there is no way out of this hell this gives them hope and for me the drive to keep moving forward .

Really really pleased for you :hugs:X

ServerError
20-05-16, 11:21
Thanks everyone. There's a community of very good people all trying to help each other here and I'm very grateful for all the help and positivity that came my way while I was struggling.

It's only a few months, or even weeks, since I thought I was changed forever and that everything that made me who I am was lost. I know that, when you're really suffering, hearing people who are in a better place say they still feel anxiety and experience symptoms can be disheartening, but all I will say is that you shouldn't allow it to be. Yes, I still feel some of the rubbish that goes along with this condition, but I've got the old me back and some really great new aspects to boot. Trust me when I say it's possible to still have anxiety and yet feel a thousand times better. Believe in that and you'll always have hope.

Superworrier
20-05-16, 18:36
Such a lovely inspiring thread :hugs:

Colicab85
20-05-16, 22:44
I'm really looking forward to starting my CBT. I start in 2 weeks. I have felt lost for around 6 weeks since my first meltdown.

I've gone around the houses with my health anxiety and I've come to realise that although this headache and tinglyness is annoying I simply don't have the symptoms of MS or a Tumour.

The doctors do know what they are talking about and if 6 of them in a month, including a private neurologist, all diagnose me with Anxiety then that's probably what I have.

I am still worried I'm a changed man. I do not feel myself at all. I'm constantly on edge, 1 step away from a meltdown and I just feel "lightheaded". I hope when I calm myself down, that I start feeling a little more normal.

In fact, I can't wait.

swgrl09
20-05-16, 23:56
This is really nice to read. I think acceptance is huge as well and can go a LONG way towards recovery. Congratulations :)