PDA

View Full Version : Just had another meltdown, I need more help

KatiePink
19-05-16, 20:56
I'm not sure what help that would be, but I feel like i'm losing my mind with worry over this relapsing polychondritis fear.
To say I am terrified is an understatement, this absolutely horrendous hideous fear and sadness takes over me to the point I have already diagnosed myself and given myself a crappy prognosis.

Because this is so rare and most GP's don't know anything about it, its usually between 2 and 3 years from the onset of symptoms til diagnosis.

I just want it over with already, I'm going to clearly explain why I think I have this and how much misery its causing me I just need it ruling out completely if that's even possible.

I'm so disappointed in myself for coping so badly, for reacting so negatively and writing myself off without a diagnosis, but I really can't stop this fear :-(

How do I turn off? Block this out temporarily so I can function properly? It's absolutely ruining my life

ServerError
19-05-16, 21:03
Well firstly, stop being disappointed in yourself. You have anxiety, and it's common to have scary thoughts with anxiety, including about your health. You need to give yourself a break in terms of judging yourself so harshly.

I notice you're posting this on an anxiety forum. Does this suggest that, deep down, you know what the real problem is?

The help you need is therapy, possibly medication if you feel it's right for you, and the reassurance of a doctor if you can truly accept what they tell you. Beyond that, it's on you to begin challenging this thing.

Fishmanpa
19-05-16, 21:12
How about logging of the internet for a while and distracting yourself? This is one of the "Google" diseases as I call them. When I see a disease I've never heard of and someone posting they're convinced they have it, it's their anxiety latching onto something to validate their fears and keep them alive at all costs. It's along the lines of SFI, rabies, ALS and the brain eating amoeba. Polychondritis is so incredibly rare and the fact that anxiety causes similar symptoms and you're posting here makes me lean toward the anxiety as the cause.

Positive thoughts

KatiePink
19-05-16, 21:14
No this is a real health issue separate from my anxiety that I've been having trouble with for a long time, I've done a few posts on it and it's by no means anxiety related. The way I'm coping however is with extreme anxiety

---------- Post added at 21:14 ---------- Previous post was at 21:13 ----------

If anxiety can cause extreme outer ear pain every single night that actually makes me scream out and cry when I touch my ears then yeah maybe it is anxiety :-(

Fishmanpa
19-05-16, 21:32
I'm confused :huh:... you said "i'm losing my mind with worry over this relapsing polychondritis fear..... I'm so disappointed in myself for coping so badly, for reacting so negatively and writing myself off without a diagnosis, but I really can't stop this fear :-( "

So what have you been diagnosed with? It seems by your posts that the doctors aren't that concerned.

Positive thoughts

ServerError
19-05-16, 21:35
Yeah, I too can't discern what the issue separate from anxiety is from the opening post. Apologies if I've misunderstood anything.

Are you saying you've been diagnosed with relapsing polychondritis before?

KatiePink
19-05-16, 21:54
I've not been diagnosed with anything as I've said in previous posts they've just faffed me off. I understand how this sounds especially on this forum, but believe me this is not a symptom of anxiety. That's impossible surely.

Yes it's extremely rare this condition that I'm worrying about but somebody has to have it, my symptoms match up and doctors can't give me anything else it could possibly be, they just want me to take painkillers everyday for it which is ridiculous.

I know this sounds like an irrational anxious meltdown. It partly is, but it's based on a really symptom that's ruining my sleep and taking over my life, they just don't seem to get it and I feel lost. I'm asking for a referral to an ENT tomorrow which I think should have been suggested by now anyway

MyNameIsTerry
19-05-16, 23:32
It's not impossible for it to be anxiety, you would be surprised what physical issues some severe sufferers have had that have appeared to be impossible.

But your doctor does need to find out if anything is causing it first before attributing it to a Somatoform Disorder theme.

KatiePink
19-05-16, 23:34
It's not impossible for it to be anxiety, you would be surprised what physical issues some severe sufferers have had that have appeared to be impossible.

But your doctor does need to find out if anything is causing it first before attributing it to a Somatoform Disorder theme.

True

KatiePink
20-05-16, 16:01
Just got back from the doctor's. I told him how much it was ruining my sleep and mental state and that i feared it was this condition called relapsing polychondritis, he never heard of it as expected so he googled it, had a good read and said 'i can see why you've got to this' but there's nothing here that says these outer ear attacks are only at night.. yours seems pressure related ect

He also asked if i have problems anywhere else with cartilage joints ect i just mentioned my knee which has been a problem for a while on and off and thought that it might be rheumatoid arthritis, he said i had a test for inflammation during that time but i can't remember and that was all clear.

He didn't make me feel silly at all and said that the condition was extremely rare but because my symptom is so strange he can see how i've got to that, but there's no way to 'test' for it basically and he doesn't think an ENT will be able to help with this outer ear pain.
He said he's going to 'have a good think' lol but recommended i see my dentist asap to check my jaw and teeth ect regarding TMJ symptoms like clicking and the fact i can't open my mouth hardly at all.

---------- Post added at 16:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:01 ----------

He said if it was him he wouldn't focus on relapsing polychondritis, so i just need to roll with that, try and get that one out of my mind and if it is something sinister like that i will soon know about it i suppose.