PDA

View Full Version : Hit in Neck. Stroke Risk?

worriednow22
22-05-16, 21:25
Hi,

I was moving a couch today and it was big sharp wooden legs in it stands on. Anyways, the other mover flipped the couch over real quick and it hit the left side of my neck. Right where my artery is. It left a red swelled area but has now seemed to go down. It happened about an hour ago.

I have slight pain in the area but not much else so far. I looked this up online and found out the side of the neck is a terrible place to get hit. I am worried I tore an artery or something like that. The wooden legs the couch stood on are sharp too. It hit me pretty hard. When I do research online, I find stories of people dying from such type of injuries. I am scared im gonna have a stroke within the next few days to months. I read that is possible.

Lucinda07
22-05-16, 21:50
In my view the area is just a little inflamed - & it would feel sore! Its now subsiding.
VERY INTENSE exercise may tear an artery, but it is not proven that this can contribute to a stroke. High blood pressure, bad diet, stress/overwork are the recognised causes. Check out the NHS website for stroke for factual information.
The reports from your research are probably just anecdotal.
If you are still worried, then visit the doctor & ask for advice.

Fishmanpa
22-05-16, 21:57
We bang ourselves all the time. Never is it ever serious.

Let's put it this way... If we see an article in the Daily Mail about a guy who suffered a life ending stroke moving a sofa, we'll know it was you ;)

Positive thoughts

Nicholebear
22-05-16, 22:01
We bang ourselves all the time. Never is it ever serious.

Let's put it this way... If we see an article in the Daily Mail about a guy who suffered a life ending stroke moving a sofa, we'll know it was you ;)

Positive thoughts

LOL!!!

"Man Bumps Neck While Moving Sofa, You Won't Believe the Tragic Turn of Events......"

You'll be f**kin clickbait gold haha

worriednow22
22-05-16, 22:01
Thanks guys. This is one of the scarier things I have worried about. I have read so many death stories online. The neck is worse than the head. I am use to hitting my head and don't worry much about it. I even read the Chiropractors can cause strokes by manipulating neck. I read people getting hit by baseballs in neck etc dying. I also read 82% of people will have a stroke within 7 days. The other 18% within 5 months. So I gotta worry about this for 5 months. I don't know what im gonna do.

Nicholebear
22-05-16, 22:07
Never hurts to visit a doc just to be on the safe side, but my understanding is that the people that get these strokes sustain pretty intense injuries. Think about how fast a baseball is flying after its hit or thrown. I don't think you should be concerned unless there's w great deal of swelling or bruising and a great deal of pain.

Fishmanpa
22-05-16, 22:08
I gotta worry about this for 5 months. I don't know what im gonna do.

That's totally on you! Personally, I don't think you'll be the subject of a Daily Mail article but I'm not looking forward to 5 months of posts on the subject ;)

Positive thoughts

worriednow22
22-05-16, 22:10
Never hurts to visit a doc just to be on the safe side, but my understanding is that the people that get these strokes sustain pretty intense injuries. Think about how fast a baseball is flying after its hit or thrown. I don't think you should be concerned unless there's w great deal of swelling or bruising and a great deal of pain.

Thats what I thought until I read an article from some doctor. Here is a quote from it:

"Earlier this week, a teenage Russian hockey player died from a carotid artery dissection after he was hit in the neck with a puck traveling more than 100 miles per hour.

The condition occurs because of some form of trauma — but it doesn’t need to be major trauma. Jaff has seen young patients who suffered a carotid artery dissection from having their head tilted back in a hair salon sink for too long or during a dental procedure. “The most common one we hear about is chiropractic manipulation, but there have been reports of it happening after a bad sneezing or coughing attack, or from a roller coaster ride,” he says. “It’s crazy.”

source: https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/katie-may-stroke-171128953.html

Fishmanpa
22-05-16, 22:13
~lol~ sorry... a puck traveling at 100mph and a sofa leg are two totally different things. Sorry, but IMO, this is a totally irrational fear.

Positive thoughts

Lucinda07
22-05-16, 22:19
Being hit in the neck with GREAT force (with a baseball bat) would be painful! But this has NOT happened to you. Those statistics are irrelevant to you. (How accurate are they any way)
Don't rely on the internet. It only feeds the dragon and does not help. The result is more improbable scenarios to worry about!

worriednow22
22-05-16, 22:21
~lol~ sorry... a puck traveling at 100mph and a sofa leg are two totally different things. Sorry, but IMO, this is a totally irrational fear.

Positive thoughts

I understand what you mean. But, did you read the quote above that I posted? Even small things can make it happen. Plus....who knows how fast the couch leg was traveling. It was a quick pivot. It could have been going fast actually if I had the tools to measure it. I mean, it was a short distance though. Just a few feet. But....it twisted quickly and with force. Plus...the couch was coming down too and the couch is heavy.

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

Being hit in the neck with GREAT force (with a baseball bat) would be painful! But this has NOT happened to you. Those statistics are irrelevant to you. (How accurate are they any way)
Don't rely on the internet. It only feeds the dragon and does not help. The result is more improbable scenarios to worry about!

Yea but it did hurt. Plus, I've read even small injuries can cause a tear.

Fishmanpa
22-05-16, 22:21
Keep us posted (as I'm sure you will)....

Positive thoughts

Nicholebear
22-05-16, 22:22
Well think of all the people in the world that have had whiplash and lived to tell the tale. Think of all the people that have been to chiropractors and hair salons and roller coasters and are just fine

Just because these things HAVE happened doesn't mean they are common. It also fails to mention if these instances happen in people that already had other stroke risk factors

37 people were killed trying to get a snack from a vending machine from 1978 to 1995.

Does that mean you're going to worry about a vending machine killing you every time you're near one?
You can find online an article about someone dying from
Virtually everything. And a doctor that says you you'll die if you aren't careful.

Lots of these articles are clickbait and covered in ads because of people like us that like to google and find these stories, plus the average person sees something like this and clicks on it out of curiousiy. The more views it gets, the more money they make

worriednow22
22-05-16, 22:27
Well think of all the people in the world that have had whiplash and lived to tell the tale. Think of all the people that have been to chiropractors and hair salons and roller coasters and are just fine

Just because these things HAVE happened doesn't mean they are common. It also fails to mention if these instances happen in people that already had other stroke risk factors

37 people were killed trying to get a snack from a vending machine from 1978 to 1995.

Does that mean you're going to worry about a vending machine killing you every time you're near one?
You can find online an article about someone dying from
Virtually everything. And a doctor that says you you'll die if you aren't careful.

Lots of these articles are clickbait and covered in ads because of people like us that like to google and find these stories, plus the average person sees something like this and clicks on it out of curiousiy. The more views it gets, the more money they make

Thanks. That makes sense. The thing is, the sharp corner of the heavy couch leg hit my cartoid area. It swung down fast. Surely I would start to get a bad headache before the stroke. I mean surely I would have some warning signs coming up here. Just scary though. I have never had such a direct injury to my neck.

Lucinda07
22-05-16, 22:33
I have looked at the link you provided.
In the report Jaff says 3 times that is is very uncommon for a stroke to occur - especially for young people. These are freak incidents.
As Nicolebear says, the report did not mention if the people had v high blood pressure or other contributing factors.

worriednow22
22-05-16, 22:35
I have looked at the link you provided.
In the report Jaff says 3 times that is is very uncommon for a stroke to occur - especially for young people. These are freak incidents.
As Nicolebear says, the report did not mention if the people had v high blood pressure or other contributing factors.

I have high blood pressure too. So thats bad. But...the artery is just right under the skin. Just kinda scary. I can see how a tear of the artery could happen easily. I mean, I never hit my neck. But....I am sure football players etc can hit their necks hard too.

Lucinda07
22-05-16, 22:43
Signs of Stroke:

Weakness in the face (1 side drops), unable to raise arms, speech problems (speech comes out as gobbledigook).

---------- Post added at 22:43 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

I have just read your last post & understand your concerns. If you still feel worried tomorrow visit a doctor. Must go now!

Nicholebear
22-05-16, 22:48
visit a doctor tomorrow and have it examined. Doing that is much better than worrying about it for five months. I'm sure that's the only thing that will put your mind at rest.

worriednow22
22-05-16, 22:52
Thanks guys. Has anyone here ever had their necks hit hard around the cartoid artery?

Nicholebear
22-05-16, 23:13
No but I got bit by a tarantula yesterday so that was pretty cool.

worriednow22
22-05-16, 23:25
No but I got bit by a tarantula yesterday so that was pretty cool.

Sorry about that. Hopefully you will be okay. Hope you feel good. Guess we all got problems here. From what I read, they don't kill you. If that makes you feel better :)

Nicholebear
22-05-16, 23:30
Sorry about that. Hopefully you will be okay. Hope you feel good. Guess we all got problems here. From what I read, they don't kill you. If that makes you feel better :)

Lol I know. And you know that, but guess what, there's an article that says some people have severe allergic reactions to them.
There a doctor that says EVERY TARANTULA BITE NEEDS TO BE TREATED BY A DOCTOR OR IT'LL GET INFECTED

but guess what. I'm fine. I feel fine. I'm not going to the doctor lol it's just a little red spot on my finger that hurt for 30 minutes yesterday.

So, you're basically in the same boat with your neck. If you feel fine, look fine, ARE FINE don't give it a second thought lol

worriednow22
22-05-16, 23:37
Lol I know. And you know that, but guess what, there's an article that says some people have severe allergic reactions to them.
There a doctor that says EVERY TARANTULA BITE NEEDS TO BE TREATED BY A DOCTOR OR IT'LL GET INFECTED

but guess what. I'm fine. I feel fine. I'm not going to the doctor lol it's just a little red spot on my finger that hurt for 30 minutes yesterday.

So, you're basically in the same boat with your neck. If you feel fine, look fine, ARE FINE don't give it a second thought lol

LOL. We could be fine. Who knows. I mean, I am sure we are. I just hate the thought of a stroke happening up to 5 months later. I feel like it could just happen one day. Hopefully not. I read about a dude running into a chair causing one. But, with you, you will know. You can tell if it's getting red and infected. I would think so anyways.

katniss
23-05-16, 05:43
I accidentally elbowed my husband once (he came up from behind me and reflexes kicked in, lol). Anyway, I accidentally elbowed him in the neck :( Poor guy's neck started swelling. We decided to go to the ER to get it checked out. It was by his carotid artery so the doctors were a little concerned. However, after completing a CT scan they told us it was a simple muscle injury and all was fine. We left with a prescription for Tylenol, haha. It was definitely scary though. Told you this story so that you would know any kind of serious injury is incredibly rare. However, I would advise you to get a quick scan to make sure that all is okay! You don't want to be worrying silly for 5 months!

worriednow22
23-05-16, 16:45
Thank you katniss. Hmmm......so did the doctor act like it was a high risk? I survived the night....so that's good. I don't have health insurance so I hate to go to the docs. There is no bruising or anything like that. Neck looks normal as far as I can tell when I look in the mirror.

katniss
24-05-16, 03:47
Thank you katniss. Hmmm......so did the doctor act like it was a high risk? I survived the night....so that's good. I don't have health insurance so I hate to go to the docs. There is no bruising or anything like that. Neck looks normal as far as I can tell when I look in the mirror.

Honestly the doctor wasn't considered at first, but after doing an ultrasound he got worried because the muscle was swollen right where the carotid artery is. He told us to stay and get the CT scan to make sure all was okay.

If you have zero swelling or bruising then I doubt it's anything serious! The only reason I advised a scan is because it's your neck. Any injury to the head or neck should be looked at by a doc in my opinion :)