PDA

View Full Version : How to let go??

tt
04-10-04, 01:10
I am wondering if anyone has some advise. I have went to different therapy groups and physolagist and I have all the information that I possibly need and know that I am the one who needs to make the change and I feel I am trying really bad but for some reason cannot
seem to let it go and why I don't know. I know that I still am not accepting my physical systoms and realize if someone were seriously wrong all the worry and racing hearts is not going to make it better but only to worsin it. Please if anyone has some advise. How do I condition my mind to stop the worst thoughts.

Thanking you in advance,
TT.

Merlinssister
04-10-04, 06:57
All I can say is it takes time and practice. Affirmations or positive thoughts need to become an automatic response to a situation, where as most times when you're in the middle of anxiety your first response is the sensations you're dealing with.

Just take it a step at a time. I find writing then down and posting them around the house really helpful so you don't have to necessarily think of them, you just glance up and they're there.

Hope that helps. Take care.

MS

seh1980
04-10-04, 13:16
hello there,

These things take time. You can't expect yourself to know how to cope with these symptoms right away. The more time that passes, the more used you will get to dealing with these symptoms. It takes a lot of patience. Keeping a diary is often a good idea and then you can see how you progress and you have something to be happy about.

Sarah :D

Meg
04-10-04, 18:19
Which physical symptoms are the worst for you and what are the thoughts that go along with them ?

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

Marc
04-10-04, 21:09
Sounds like similar feeling to what I get tt, the harder I try the more my subconcious seems to resist.
I think the best thing is to not try so hard but find something to distract your mind. Something completely different. Is there something enjoyable that you could do, or maybe some project that you've always meant to get round to?
Failing that, read a good book, go out and do something, phone a friend you've not spoken to for ages?
Anything to break the cycle. - At least that's what I find works for me ....

Hope you can find an answer,
Marc

sal
04-10-04, 23:54
Hi TT

Armed with all the information and support you need doesnt mean an overnight cure.

I have had so much help and still when anxious go back to the same feelings.

But having that information does make us see sense to it all and show us that it is an illness that can be cured and overcome. It takes a lot of time and reassurance to come out the other side but it does happen. Questions you ask yourself now will become less important the more you overcome how you feel.

Love Sal xxxxx

tt
07-10-04, 02:04
Hi Meg,
I am my own worst enemy. My symptoms are head aches in the back of my head and all in my jaws. My shoulder and neck which I know is from me being tight. I do have these inside shakes that seem to vibrate
several times a day. I do think chest pains that come I have dealt with better. I guess my thoughts are still worried I will not react in time or seek medical attention. My shakes make me think that I have something wrong with my nervous system.
Recently I have had to travel with my job and being away from home is scary because I think of what if I need my Doctor?

Thanks for listening,
tt.

Jules31
07-10-04, 11:48
Hi tt

I know just how you feel. I used to spend hours obsessing over my symptoms and even now when I got new ones crop up, or feel really bad find it hard to rationalise things.

All the advice given already is brilliant and really does help.

You might also find that going for long massages will help with teh pain in yur head, neck and shoulders. It will take a few sessions before things improve though.

I get the internal shakes. Sometimes I will go months without them. I would wake with them alot and it would feel like the whole of my body was vibrating. But then I thought so what and eventually it started to ease.

I used to worry about needing my dr whilst I was away, but really most places have good health and emergency services. So you could get them if you really needed them.

Take it one step at a time and you will get there.

You know as I read your message, I just though that I hadn't felt too bad for the last few hours and guess what now I'm noticing symptoms that I didn't have before. I guess distraction really is a good thing.

Take care

Jules

Meg
07-10-04, 19:19
HI TT,

Jules is right - if you do store tension in your neck , shoulders etc go for a few massages and get it worked out of you . The shakes is stored unused tension and it helps sooo much. If you grind or clench your teeth - get a mouth guard made. This is certainly not a disease of the Central Nervous System other than what you already know .

Well done for coping with your chest pains better ,.

Should you really need a doctor there are A+E's all over the world . You can carry a doctots letter if you choose to with all relevant information on it but really you will be fine as far as anxiety is concerned ..

I do know how you feel - my first journey away after my acure phase was to South Holland to stay with friends and as they drove us round the city I nonchalantly asked where the hospital was and it turned out their flat overlooked it and I was very grateful . Of course I never needed it and all the subsequent times I've been over I can smile to myself about it.

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.