PDA

View Full Version : Worried about cancer

els83
23-05-16, 11:52
Hi,

I'm going through a really bad phase and I was wondering if there's anyone out there who's experienced something similar and who can calm my nerves.

11 years ago, I experienced a low grade fever for 4-5 weeks, which also included facial flushing during the day. I also suffered from night sweats on and off. Then after those few weeks my symptoms disappeared. I was always too scared to go to the Dr about that, so I never did. I haven't had any symptoms like that since then, although I started suffering from bad heart burn and bad stomach symptoms in 2012 which I was convinced was stomach cancer (although my heartburn and symptoms I had back in 2012 have almost gone now). Also in the past couple of years, I've noticed that when I cough hard, my head hurts (pressure), which I'm now scared is a brain tumour. I'm worried all this is linked from my initial fever back in 2005 (I know cancer can cause lengthy fevers). Also, I can feel some of my lymph nodes (but not sure if this is because I'm naturally very slim/petite).

I just want to feel happy again but I'm struggling to when I feel such panic and anxiety over my health. Has anyone experienced any of these symptoms and does this sound like I could be genuinely ill? I'm one of those people who's scared to visit the doctors. I feel very alone. Please help

Fishmanpa
23-05-16, 12:38
Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

You wouldn't be here if what you had was cancer.

Positive thoughts

els83
23-05-16, 15:37
Thanks Fishmanpa, but it's hard not to link all these episodes. I was wondering if there's someone out there who might have had a similar experience? I can't stop thinking I don't have long to live...

ankietyjoe
23-05-16, 18:16
Nobody here is qualified to diagnose your symptoms. Even if somebody here had the exact same symptoms as yours you might feel ok for now, but due to the nature of health anxiety it'd be a matter of time before you start worrying again.

The best solution would be to pay a visit to your GP and get a proper diagnosis and also mention your anxiety.

unsure_about_this
23-05-16, 18:39
If you are worried like the above users have said go and see your GP. I am going for my own worries.

MyNameIsTerry
23-05-16, 22:40
I think we can agree with FMP without being a doctor. The OP would be long deceased if they had what they are fearing. That alone tells us that there is a lot of anxiety involved.

els83
24-05-16, 09:59
Thank you Terry, you are right in that I do have a lot of anxiety. I will pay my GP a visit so I can talk to her about this.