PDA

View Full Version : Neck pain referred to shoulder blade

julieG
23-05-16, 16:52
Well folks. This is probably one of my most stupid worries however a worry it is and I would like some help if possible

I stretched out in bed this morning and heard a pop in my shoulder (I think it was my shoulder. I've been in the most excruciating pain ever since. I can barely turn or lift my head. I managed to see the GP earlier and he reckons it's neck pain referring down my shoulder blade t not sure why or what I've actually done. Here goes.... My worry is my neck might break or I might become paralysed if I turn the wrong way or move wrong.

I know I sound a bit potty but can anyone relate or had a similar experience? Kinda anxious to say the least! Thankyou x

Gary A
23-05-16, 17:03
Irrationallity is par for the course with anxiety, but this is really stretching it. The "pop" you heard was probably the release of gasses from a joint in the neck region. This is what causes joints to "pop" or "crack". It's the noise of, essentially, a bubble of gas bursting.

You've simply strained your neck and any pain you feel will be inflammation of a muscle and the radiating pain down a nerve pathway.

Your neck won't break. The very notion is absolutely and utterly nonsensical.

julieG
23-05-16, 17:16
Although your comment is probably helpful, your attitude is certainly not! I have insight into my fears which I stated. Being mocked is neither productive or helpful. I suggest in future you keep those little quips to yourself and refrain from commenting on my nonsensical Posts!

Gary A
23-05-16, 17:20
I didn't mock you at all, I said that the notion of your neck breaking because of this is utterly nonsensical. What would you like me to say?

julieG
23-05-16, 17:29
Everything but the first and last sentence would have been more appropriate. In my opinion. Stretching the irrational and nonsensical is mocking me. When a slipped disc was a possibility I looked here for advice instead of googling and making myself worse. Well that worked

Gary A
23-05-16, 17:33
Its not mocking you at all, it's pointing out how irrational anxiety makes people. Why would I even give you an explanation if my sole purpose was to mock you? I think the notion of your neck breaking because of this is nonsensical. I honestly don't know why that would get your back up. Isn't that what you wanted to be told?

julieG
23-05-16, 17:36
Thank you for you comments and your opinions. Apologies for having an opinion of my own. Have a good evening.

ServerError
23-05-16, 17:44
You could argue that the language wasn't the most diplomatic, but you asked a question and Gary explained what it almost certainly is. His answer was good news, even if the wat he phrased it was a bit off.

Gary A
23-05-16, 17:57
Thank you for you comments and your opinions. Apologies for having an opinion of my own. Have a good evening.

I don't even know how to respond to this anymore. It's quite clear that no matter what I write here you'll simply take it the wrong way. I was not intending on offending you or mocking you, merely trying to confirm what you yourself said in your OP.

julieG
23-05-16, 18:04
You could argue that the language wasn't the most diplomatic, but you asked a question and Gary explained what it almost certainly is. His answer was good news, even if the wat he phrased it was a bit off.

Totally agree with you. that's why I said his post was helpful (to a degree)

Thankyou.

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:01 ----------

I don't even know how to respond to this anymore. It's quite clear that no matter what I write here you'll simply take it the wrong way. I was not intending on offending you or mocking you, merely trying to confirm what you yourself said in your OP.

Thankyou for that. Sometimes things don't come across as intended when they are typed.

Mojo61
23-05-16, 18:19
I've had a very similar thing happen a few times. Once it happened in my chest as I turned over in bed, there was an enormous "CRACK!" and the pain was horrendous. However after a couple of days it had gone and I'm sure yours will too.

Now you know where the saying "A pain in the neck" comes from lol, it is bloody painful!

Fishmanpa
23-05-16, 18:56
Well folks. This is probably one of my most stupid worries however a worry it is.....

My worry is my neck might break or I might become paralysed if I turn the wrong way or move wrong.

I know I sound a bit potty but can anyone relate or had a similar experience? Kinda anxious to say the least! Thankyou x

With respect and not meant to get your back up (see reaction to Gary), your first sentence pretty much says it as what you're worried about isn't a possibility. We've all tweaked a joint now and again, whether it's our neck, knee, back etc. It happens and yeah, it hurts like hell but it's not sinister. OTC muscle rubs (Ben Gay etc.) do wonders as does a heating pad.

Feel better soon!

Positive thoughts

Nicholebear
23-05-16, 19:35
Lol why do people get so bent out of shape sometimes? Yeah this is a support forum but that doesn't mean we can't tell you the cold, hard truth. Fact is most health anxiety fears ARE nonsensical and the more you make excuses for it the more you yourself say that this type of behavior is ok. It's not. If you can't tell yourself that you're being nonsensical then maybe it takes someone else telling you that to see truth.

Gary A
23-05-16, 19:46
Lol why do people get so bent out of shape sometimes? Yeah this is a support forum but that doesn't mean we can't tell you the cold, hard truth. Fact is most health anxiety fears ARE nonsensical and the more you make excuses for it the more you yourself say that this type of behavior is ok. It's not. If you can't tell yourself that you're being nonsensical then maybe it takes someone else telling you that to see truth.

That's exactly the point. To call these types of fears anything other than "nonsensical" is surely giving the fear credibility? Why on Earth would anyone want to do that?