PDA

View Full Version : Massive Progress (And Scared)

Ross
12-03-07, 23:07
Right, where do I start?

Agoraphobic, have been out of the house maybe 4 times in 18months. Until last week.

My Brother has been renovating his house, and as he is completely useless at everything (apart from drinking Cider and smoking Lambert & Butler (oh and he is quite a good Pool player too)) he requested my assistance. After hours of sweating, I called him back and asked him to pick me up. (At this point I required clean underwear).

I got in the car (fingernails in dash-board) and travelled to his house which is a 10minute drive.

Got there, and done the bizzo for a few hours until he said "Its about time we went to the Pub to reward ourselves for the hard days graft". 30minutes later, I am in the local with a Pint. WTF?

So, a gallon or so later, we get bored, and walk to another pub. (I am out, walking the streets :shrug:).

Right, so, moving on before you fall asleep. This happened ALL week. I have been out all of last week, painting, laying floors, fitting electrical sockets, light switches, plumbing etc etc then obviously the obligatory few pints.

Now then. I have been meaning to travel to America for a while now, and stay with a friend who lives in Texas. Obviously due to my Agora, that hasn't happened. Except lastnight, I booked my Flight, and I will be leaving 8th April for a couple of weeks. "Scared?" I hear you cry! Abso-bloody-lutely! but it has to happen, and I will get there and enjoy myself even if it kills me (which it wont, but you know what I mean (well I hope not) :huh:).

So, thats whats been happening, so apologies to those who have PM'd me and not got a response until days later, but I have been a busy boy.

Thanks for reading.

Me! :winks:

nomorepanic
12-03-07, 23:14
:huh: Ross

I did wonder where you were. You didn't get a "get out of jail free" card as far as I know.:ohmy:

Well done babe and good luck for America - we have spoken about this and you know I wish you all the luck in the world with it.

Will you please stop getting cured cos I can't keep up :huh:

Well done you and wish you all the luck in the world for the trip - you know I will miss you :hugs:

Go get them Ross :emot-highfive:

xxxx

trac67
12-03-07, 23:19
Way to go Ross................sooo pleased for you matey and sooo proud of you :D

Have a fab time in the states.............and leave all the american woman alone ok lol

Love

Trac xxx

Piglet
12-03-07, 23:22
Oh Ross I am chuffed to bits to read all this - how bl**dy fantastic!!!

:yesyes: (((Ross))):yesyes:

Bestest wishes Piglet :flowers:

Karen
12-03-07, 23:50
Well done Ross. You really are challenging your fears and facing them head on.

I hope you enjoy your holiday. It's very brave of you to do this. I hope you have a great time :)

Karen

eeyorelover
13-03-07, 01:22
Hey Ross -
That is truely a huge breakthrough and I am so happy to hear that you are doin so well!!!! Have fun in Texas. Watch out for large cockroaches and large woman cuz there are alot of both down there - hahaha
Sorry if that offends anyone!!
Anyway - you better post everything that happens on your trip.....come to think of it - knowing you ... give us the 'G' rated version k???!!! JK PMSL
xxx
Sandy

jo61
13-03-07, 08:46
That is such an uplifting success story Ross. Well done.

groovygranny
13-03-07, 10:15
FAB news Ross !!! :yesyes:

Came into school this morning feeling a bit yuk........but reading about your success has certainly lifted my spirits - Thank You ! :hugs:

Have a grrrrreat time in America. Looking forward to hearing all about it !!!

lotsa luv

GG :emot-dance:

xxx

scoobygirl2005
13-03-07, 10:35
Way to go! :yesyes: Well done, thats brilliant news. Am really pleased your getting better, have a fab time in America and if you meet any celebrities then get an autograph for me lol! :D

Scoooby2005
x x

Granny Primark
13-03-07, 11:07
What fantastic news:yesyes:
Thank god your brother needed is house renovating.:)
If youve got any spare time theres a few jobs that need doing on my house.:wacko:
Have a fantastic time in america and come back and tell us all about it.

Take care
LYNN XX

joolee
13-03-07, 11:32
Omg that is excellant Ross well done i hope you have a great time in America GOOD LUCK MATE xxxx

Jimbo
13-03-07, 11:33
Well done, :yesyes:

Facing those fears and actually going out and doing stuff, despite feeling scared, is a big step.

Enjoy America, :D

Jim

clickaway
13-03-07, 11:56
Wow, well done Ross!

Remember, everything is bigger in America - including the women :emot-yum:

Paddington
13-03-07, 12:28
Dear Ross,i am amazed and delighted at your post,what an amazing breakthru the true meaning of jfdi,and how!!:D I read you funny posts and never knew how trapped by your agoraphobia you were,so am so totally proud of your achievments :yesyes: You are an inspiration to us all ,have a wonderful trip you are sooooo brave,iwish i could send you a big prize,well if you fancy practising on 'big women'....i'm free:D :D You are a star!Love Mary Rose.xxxxxxxxxxxx

Ammeg
13-03-07, 13:25
wow!!! Good on ya hun!!!! Have u booked me a ticket 2???? hmmmmm.... welll u will have the best time eva!! well done you!!!!!
Gemxxx:yesyes:

belle
13-03-07, 13:31
...this is most certainly the best example of "Face your fear....".
Making that decision is amazing, wow....now all I have to do is get in the car and drive....:blush:

Have a wonderful time..

Sarah x

rosebud
13-03-07, 13:49
Great to hear you are doing so well.
Have a fantastic Holiday you deserve it !!!

Traceyxxx

shoegal
13-03-07, 15:47
OMG!!! That is amazing!!!
:D :yesyes: :D :yesyes: :D :yesyes: :D :yesyes: :D :yesyes:

I am sooooo proud of you. You have done so well working and going to the pub every night, but booking a holiday too.... THAT IS BRILLIANT (and very brave).

WELL DONE ROSS!!!

Take care.

Love and hugs, shoegal xxx

Ross
13-03-07, 16:55
Wowzers. So many replies! :ohmy:

Thank you everyone for your kind words. It feels brilliant to know I have you all behind me, a huge encouragment. :hugs:

As for all the big-women, well, beggars cant be choosers eh? :wub:

Ross :winks:

Dshell
13-03-07, 17:19
Well done you - you must be so proud of yourself!!

Good luck with America and love every second of it!!

DShell x

wobily_lin
13-03-07, 21:03
HUGE WELL DONE ROSS...IM SO PROUD OF YE..I KNOW HOW HARD IT IS FOR YE...
WOW...YE HAVE DONE SO WELL TO GO ONCE BUT ALL WEEK IS JUST AMAZING..
AND TO BOOK UR FLIGHT TOO..YE SHUD B SO PROUD OF URSELF...UR DOIN ALL THE RIGHT THINGS...AS SOMEONE SAID TO ME TODAY..YE DID IT..EVEN THO IT WAS HARD YE DID IT AND KEPT AT IT WHERE SO MANY WOULD HAVE EVA GONE OUT A SECOND TIME...JUST AMAZING..

MASSIVE WELL DONE TO YOU HUN..UV DONE SO SO WELL..SO PROUD OF YE AS I SAID AND IM SURE YOU'RE BRO WAS VERY GRATEFUL TOO..
YOU'RE A FIGHTER, EVEN THO IT'S HARD YE DID IT..GOOD ON YE..
HUGS
XXX

manmoor
13-03-07, 23:54
Well my god Woss lol :yesyes: proud of you woohooo I take it all the pretty girls don't live on the Emerald Isle any more lololol. Good on ya Ross :hugs: xx

honeybee
22-03-07, 14:59
hey, i was just reading through the success stories and came across this... OH MY GOD... how brave are you??? my attacks started abroad so i'm terrified, sorry i mean TERRIFIED to go back... i'll need to go at some point though cos my fella never went on a holiday as a kid and now he's earning big bucks really wants to go, sorry i mean REALLY wants to go... anyways not long now til the 8th april, how ya feeling about it??? still enthusiastic??? the thing with these things is that it'll probably be really hard to start with then the panic will ease off and you'll have a great time, wow, if you can do this you can do anything... you should be so so proud of yourself... have a great time, sorry i mean GREAT time

honeybee
22-03-07, 19:42
hi i replied to this thread earlier but not sure if you've seen it and im really keen to find out how you're feeling about this holiday since its drawing closer so thouight id add a bit to get your attention...

Barb
22-03-07, 20:24
Wow thats fantastic news Ross:yesyes: :yesyes: you have done brilliant, have a great time in America. Cant wait to hear all about it when you get back.

Have fun

Luv Barb xxx

sandlin
23-03-07, 19:52
How fantastic is that-hope you have a good time in texas

Linda xxx

Southern_Belle
29-03-07, 00:22
Hi Ross,

I'm so happy for you and your progress:yesyes: . I can't believe you are coming over here to America, I just know you will have a blast in Texas. You have achieved so much you should be so proud of yourself. I really can't wait to hear all of your stories. Hope you have some cowboy boots! :winks:

Love,

Laura :flowers:

honeybee3939
07-04-07, 23:40
ROSS !!

Have a great time and dont be scared cause we all no you will be just fine !:) :) :) :)

Cant wait to hear all about it when you get back, and behave yourself! lol

Love
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

normalwisdom
07-04-07, 23:47
Hi Ross...

You take care on your travels you will be fine you know some of us have done it before and it's the getting there that is the biggy.....you will do it.
The main thing was you booking it and saying yes I will Just "flippin" do it. thats the nice version:blush: . Hope you have a really nice time and really, really enjoy.... you go wurz!:shades:

Ross
08-04-07, 01:57
Just a quick post before I leave.

Thank you all so much for the support and encouragment. Believe me it has helped a huge amount.

Well, this will be my last post from the UK for a couple of weeks.

Just to let you know how I'm feeling right now..... I am terrified.

Beyond the fact that I am severly Agoraphobic and dont go out at all, I am making this trip on my own. I have to take two flights (a stopover in Newark) which will involve chainging terminals. When I get to Dallas I will be meeting someone who I have been speaking to online for over 3 years, but we have never 'met' before.

Everytime I think about this, it seems to be more and more difficult. That said, the more difficult the challenge, the more positive I have to be. Although I am terrified, I know I have no choice but to accomplish this, and I am definately gonna do it. (Steph, "Just 'Flipping' Do It" doesnt carry the weight of my version :laugh:)

So, the next you will hear from me will be from a little town in the middle of Texas, where I will endevour to keep you posted as to how I'm getting on. (I am being very presumptuous here but) The reason I am so eager to post, is because I want people to see that it is possible, and it can be accomplished.

Have a great Easter Sunday, and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Missing You Already!

Me xxx

normalwisdom
08-04-07, 02:46
Ross I know my version was rubbish but JFDI anyway you will we are ALL looking forward to your updates and look forward to hearing your progress you know how hard even this is for me to do and how much I must mean this so JFDI WURZ!!!!!

Piglet
08-04-07, 16:50
Soooo soooo proud of you for having a go - best of luck sweetheart!!

Piglet :flowers:

Ross
09-04-07, 21:18
Well, here I am in the good old US of A.

Everything is going great (yeah I know I've only been here a day) I cant be arsed to send a real postcard, so here is the next best thing....

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i85/rossinbristol22/PostcardFront.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i85/rossinbristol22/PostcardBack.jpg

I hope everything is well wherever you are.

I will try to get online to keep you updated as much as possible, but to be honest, I'll probably be having too good a time. :laugh:

Missing You All

Me xxx

honeybee3939
09-04-07, 21:24
WHEYYYY HEYYYYY Ross !
Great to hear from you !
:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:
Love the postcard ! so pleased all is going well !:) :) :)

We:ohmy: are missing you too !!!

Love

Andrea
xxxx

trac67
09-04-07, 21:30
Well done honey, soooo proud you did it, have the best time ever and dont drink too much.....................yeah whatever lol

Love

Trac xx

darkangel
09-04-07, 22:18
I am so happy for you - well done I knew you could do it

Have a bril time and enjoy those hoe-downs

Luv DA x

nomorepanic
09-04-07, 22:18
Ross

So glad you got there ok and are well and happy.

This could be the making of you I think.

Have a fab time babe :hugs: :hugs:

Piglet
09-04-07, 22:40
Ross - how utterly fantastic and how fab to hear from you already, it's so nice of you to let all us old biddies/foster mums know you're ok - you're a good boy!! LOL!!!:yesyes:

Make sure you wear your knitted trunks at all time and wear protection (SPF I mean :blush: )

Totally appreciated the tempreture in 'old money' can't get to grips with all this stuff in the 30's 40's malarky at all.

Big hugs

Lindalou64
10-04-07, 00:58
YEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YA DID IT MY FRIEND COULDNT BE MORE HAPPY FOR YA WHAT DO YA MEAN BUD TASTE LIKE PISS WHEN I DRANK THATS WHAT I DRANK AND WATCH THAT MOONSHINE YA MIGHT WAKE IN ANOTHER STATE POWERFUL SHIT:blush: DAMN CHOWDAAAA IM SO PLEASED FOR YOU AND AWSOME JOB ON YA POSTY TOO LOL YOU AMAZE ME MY FRIEND :yesyes: I THINK YOUR JUST A WONDERFUL YOUNG MAN, COME VISIT LIKE I SAID WE WILL DO LUNCH:shades: ........HAVE A BLAST ......DO THE 2 STEP LOL I USE TO WHEN I WAS DRUNK THOT I COULD ANYWAYS THOT I COULD DO ALOT OF THINGS LOL...........HELLO ROSSES AMERICAN FRIENDS TAKE CARE OF HIM DRIVE HIM TO MASSACHUSETTS WE WILL ALL DO LUNCH CHOWDAAA!!!!.............TALK WITH YA SOON CALL ME LOL :hugs: :hugs: LOVE YA,LINDA XXXX

shoegal
10-04-07, 09:02
ROSS!!! :D :D :D
I am soooooooo proud of you!!!

I didn't realise you had gone yet so I had a bit of a shock when I saw your postcard! I can't believe you have actually done it. It just goes to show you can do anything you set your mind to. I hope you had a good flight and that the stop-over in Newark was ok. So you're in Texas as we speak chewing straw and line dancing.... I want all the details when you get back.

It is my dream to get well enough to go to America (New York in my case), but I'm not brave enough yet. So Ross, you are kind of living my dream for me right now.... so make sure you enjoy every minute of it!!!

I'm so proud of you Ross. Well done mate!!! :shades: :yesyes: :winks:

Howdy there partner!

honeybee
10-04-07, 10:22
YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO US ALL...

WELL DONE YOU... I HAVE SOOOOOOO MUCH RESPECT FOR YOU... THINK IM GONNA JFDI SOON AND BOOK A HOLIDAY, GULP.... I WANNA HEAR ALL THE DETAILS WHEN YOU GET BACK THOUGH, IF YOU GET BACK.... HEE HEE, YOU MIGHT DECIDE YOU'RE HAVING SUCH A GREAT TIME YOU MIGHT NOT COME BACK....

LOTSA LOVE

eeyorelover
10-04-07, 15:41
Hey Ross -
Glad to hear your trip is going well!!!
Sad to think that you are drinking beer:lac: when there is SO much of that lovely tequila in Texas!!!!! Have a few of those for me (with lemon and salt of course):yesyes: and if you are feeling very brave get a bottle of REAL tequila with the worm in and EAT THE WORM!!!!!!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Talk to ya soon
xxx
Sandy

clickaway
10-04-07, 17:22
Hiya Ross,

Well done on getting there. I found one of the serious pitfalls of the USA was the "beer" they served up. I'm sure in time you will get sensible and just ask for Heineken or Stella!

Now get on that horse!

manmoor
10-04-07, 22:38
WOW WOW WOW :ohmy: well done Woss ye did it :D so proud of you. :hugs:

stace81
10-04-07, 22:45
WELL DONE BABE:hugs:
You know how proud i am of you already.
Cant believe you have done it you are so brave.:yesyes:
Have a great time babe.
Miss ya. x:winks:

normalwisdom
10-04-07, 22:47
Wow Ross well done I have known you for a while and know what a big step this is for you:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: . Fantastic news makes us all realise anything is possible I think:blush: although america..mmmm not sure! You take care and enjoy the rest of your time there:shades: .

sandlin
11-04-07, 10:12
Well done ross- hope ur having a great time in Texas. Enjoy it for us all.

Linda xx

Ross
12-04-07, 18:03
Hi all you lovely people.

A BIG thankyou for the replies :blush:

Everything here is going great. Im eating out in Restaurants, going to Shopping Malls, and generally having a great time (apart from the shopping malls (shopping is shopping no matter what country your in :sly:))

No Fears, No Worries!

Glad to receive your continuing support as always :hugs:

Nearly a week has gone already, and it feels like I have been away for 5 minutes. :weep:

Anyways, Im jabbering on.....

Hope everyone else is well, and I'll get back online in the not too distant future for another update.

Best Wishes,

Me xxx

Granny Primark
12-04-07, 18:33
Great to hear your having a brill time Ross.
What an inspiration you are to the members of this site.
It makes us realise that there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Im now believing that maybe i can go on hol again if its only to spain.:D

Take care
LYNN xx

funky chick
12-04-07, 20:18
Well Done Ross, such an inspiration to us all.
So glad you enjoying youself too! take care lots of love Gail xxxx:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

((((( WELL DONE ROSS)))))

Piglet
12-04-07, 22:57
:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

Love Piglet :flowers:

honeybee3939
12-04-07, 23:30
Hi Ross

Thanks for the update, great to hear all is going well and you are having a lovely time !!:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

Hugs:hugs: :hugs:

Andrea
xxxxx

shoegal
13-04-07, 01:27
Ross,

Glad you are having such a great time. Thanks for taking the time to let us all know how you are getting on. We are all thinking of you!!!

Enjoy the rest of your holiday. :shades:

(And don't forget to take lots of photos to show us when you get back)!!!

belle
19-04-07, 22:58
Whoa! What a MASSIVE acomplishment. From going out 4 times in 18 months, to drinking in a couple of pubs to flying ALONE to America, i think that is nothing short of freaking amazing.
I would LOVE to know your secret.
Flipping heck, i think about driving 1/2 mile and freak out....
Cannot get my head round how fanstastic you've done! :ohmy:

Sarah x

groovygranny
20-04-07, 13:19
Oh way to go Ross! :notworthy: ...just catching up myself!

Loved the postcard :roflmao:!!

Sorry to hear about the beer - wasn't any better for me last week in Egypt........'Sakara Beer', tasted like watered-down Carling (speculative guess!) and I'm sure it must have come out of a camel at some point!! :shades:Still, had to give it a go!

You're an inspiration Ross, keep it up! :yesyes:

darkangel
20-04-07, 14:19
Ross u r amazing - just goes to show what we can acheive when we JFDI

U give us all hope

Luv DA

Paddington
20-04-07, 14:26
WOW ROSS,WHAT AN ACHIEVMENT ..YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO US ALL :D i love the post card,makes this look sooooo lame:lac: Hey continue to have fun matie.....shame about the beer tho...ooooh painful:w00t2: That of course is the REAL REASON i dont go abroad:winks: Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Southern_Belle
23-04-07, 01:58
Ross,

I'm so glad you are having a great time! I also loved the postcard, you are soooo talented. Now tell everybody the truth, we sell Stella here in America, yes we do!!! :lac: We aren't backwards you know. :blush:

:hugs: ,

Ross
23-04-07, 12:58
Right, well I'm back in the beautiful Sunny UK :mad:

Everything went better than I could have hoped for. Everything was more than perfect.

I am now seeking ways, means and methods to obtain a Work Visa with the intention of moving there on a permanent basis. As most of you will know, the US is not an easy place to move to (Politics), so if anyone has any hints or tips, please PM me. :)

As for all your supprt; not just the past fortnight, but since forever, THANK YOU!

I can only hope that my decision to travel (which at the time seemed like a ridiculous thing to do) may prompt others to JFDI. Nothing is impossible!

Best Wishes to all of you!

Me xxx

P.S. Laura, as for Stella, I was in deepest darkest Texas. I struggled to find a store which sold Beer, let alone Stella. Miller Lite, Coors Light and Budweiser. What a selection eh? :sly: :weep:

manmoor
23-04-07, 13:13
Ross well done you :hugs: words dont describe how proud I am of you cos I remember when you joined nmp and how agraphobic you were and the laughs we had with that other mad irish woman lol :D But America my god thats just unbelievable :D good on you Ross keep it up :hugs: xxxxx

Piglet
23-04-07, 13:48
:yesyes: Welcome home sausage :yesyes:

I think it must have been the knitted trunks that worked their magic for you!!!

You are a total inspiration mate and I hope things can move quickly so you can go back asap.

Brill news and all a mega achievement!!! :yesyes:

Paddington
23-04-07, 13:54
:hugs: :hugs: WELCOME HOME ROSS......THE TRAVELLIN MAN:hugs: :hugs: :yesyes: :yesyes: Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lindalou64
23-04-07, 13:54
:yesyes: :yesyes: HEY ROSS
IM SO PROUD THAT YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING THAT I COULDNT OF EVEN THINK OF DOING RIGHT NOW ANYWAYS ,PEOPLE LIKE YOU WE HAVE TO LOOK UP TOO FOR YOUR POSITIVE ATTITUDE AND JUST SAY .... IT AND DO IT....I WOULD BE HONERED FOR YOU TO BE AN AMERICAN....LOL.....AND WHEN THAT DAY COMES YA KNOW WHERE I AM AND WE CAN FINALLY SIT DOWN AND HAVE SOME CHOWDAAAAAAA!!!!!!!:winks: GOOD FOR YOU MY FRIEND ....WHAT DID YA THINK OF TEXAS ...IM SURE YA DIDNT HAVE TIME TO SEE IT ALL ITS SUCH A HUGE STATE THE BIGGEST ISNT IT LOL .YES IT IS I KNOW.....ALL MY EXES LIVE IN TEXAS THATS MANDY SINGING LOL.........LOVE YA HUN HAPPY FOR YA KEEP IN TOUCH........LINDA XXXX:hugs: :hugs:

honeybee3939
23-04-07, 16:23
WELCOME HOME ROSS!
:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:
ABSOLUTLEY BRILLIANT ACHIEVEMENT!
:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:
SO PROUD OF YOU!
:yesyes: :yesyes:
Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

darkangel
23-04-07, 16:51
WELCOME BACK HOME ROSS

GOOD LUCK WITH THE WORK VISA

WHAT AN ACHIEVEMENT - YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO US ALL

Luv Darkangel xxx

(see ive even learned fancy writing since you been away lol)

stace81
23-04-07, 18:13
Welcome Home Babe.
You Already Know How Proud I Am Of Ya.
Dont Do That Visa Too Soon Lol
Glad You Are Happy.
Mwah Xxxxxx

honeybee
23-04-07, 18:57
well done you... had a feeling you'd be going back... i said it in an earlier post...

what about you're precious stella??? must be good over there if ya gonna give that up...

do you think you could have gone to america and enjoyed youself when you were in the height of your agoraphobia???
or do you think that wiould've been too hard???
its just everyone says "do everything in baby steps... baby steps is the way to go" but you've obviously just taken the BIGGEST step possible and had an amazingly successful outcome...
would you advise others to take a HUGE step instead of baby ones???
i'd be REALLY interested in what you think...

x x x

nomorepanic
23-04-07, 19:46
Ross

You know how proud of you I am mate.

http://www.glittergraphics.co.uk/Graphics/Showin_Some_Love/images/11.jpg

Well done!!!

Welcome home - we missed you :hugs: :hugs:

Ross
23-04-07, 20:07
:blush: Thank you for the Welcome Home. :wub:

Honeybee,

I'm gonna contradict myself but;

I think you have to make a decision based on what you feel you can achieve at that time. The contraduictory part is, I now strongly believe you have to push your boundary beyond what you would contemplate being possible.

I booked the ticket 11th March. I left on 8th April, so I had a month to think about it and ponder over what could go wrong etc. I tried my best not to think about going until the very last minute, keeping myself occupied with other things etc. Everytime I thought about travelling I became extremely anxious.

It was the first time I had ever travelled that distance on my own, and I went to meet someone I had never physically met before, so it was a huge undertaking for me. But I guess the 'want' to accomplish it was greater than the fear.

I believe that if you try to do something and fail, it knocks you back on so many levels, but the sense of achievement when you succeed is overwhelming.

Am I fixed? I dont know. It's early days, and I may still be running on adrenalin, but who knows?

If the question your asking me is "Should I try something like that?" then I can only advise you from my own experience;

Unfortunately, I cant tell you how Im feeling because I can't find the words to explain it. All I can say is its a bloody good feeling.

Im sorry its a vague response. I guess if I could give a definitive answer then the world would be free of these shackles.

Whatever you do, make sure you have the determination. I think self-belief in Anx sufferers (certianly in my case) is very low. Are we just fooling ourselves into thinking we cant do things?

With every answer, I seem to raise more questions.

Do what you think is right for you!

Good Luck, and Best Wishes.

Me xxx

Southern_Belle
23-04-07, 20:35
Ross,

Words can't describe how proud I am of you. To think you now want a work visa :yesyes: . As for the Stella, hmmm, perhaps you should move to North Carolina because we have a ton of it. I would have thought being in Texas beer would be everywhere maybe not Stella but at least American beers not light beers :ohmy: . I wish nothing but the best for you and know whatever you do you will succeed and go far.

:hugs: ,

Karen
23-04-07, 20:48
Welcome back Ross and well done with all you have achieved.

It was the first time I had ever travelled that distance on my own, and I went to meet someone I had never physically met before, so it was a huge undertaking for me. But I guess the 'want' to accomplish it was greater than the fear.
Although I haven't been on anywhere near as long a journey as you, I totally agree about 'wanting' to do something more than the 'fear'. I often say I cannot do something but motivation does play a very big role in the difference between what is practically possible for me to achieve and what I am willing to take the risk to try.

Having just come back from the meet up this weekend, right until the last minute I had so many doubts and loads of anxiety - should I drive that far? can I do it? Is it sensible or even reasonable? Then having made the journey (and backed out once on an offer of staying with someone new that I know from this site), I took up her kind offer of staying over last night and I am pleased I did. It is another good friend I have made on this site and another opportunity for our friendship to develop.

Unfortunately, I cant tell you how Im feeling because I can't find the words to explain it. All I can say is its a bloody good feeling.
Explains it very well to me! :yesyes: We all make our own choices in the end but I believe we can take on board the experiences and learn from others. I certainly am still learning all the time and also feel encouraged and supported in my personal journey.

Karen

Lindalou64
23-04-07, 21:06
i like what ya said ross..are we fooling ourselves .hmmmmmm makes ya wonder... did me anyways.....that will be in my head now and maybe and hopefully i will think of that when ever i feel the oh shit feeling.........thanks hun good answer to me it was anyways...talk soon i hope........love linda xx

honeybee
23-04-07, 21:18
thanks for taking the time to answer... i just have soooo much respect for you... i feel like i could ask you a hundred questions but i'll just leave you to enjoy that "blo*dy good feeling" you're feeling... well done you

kazzie
23-04-07, 22:14
Well done Ross:yesyes:

Trac has been keeping me updated:yesyes:

Luv and hugs:hugs:

Kaz x x x:hugs:

clickaway
23-04-07, 23:14
Welcome Back Ross, and it's great that you seem to have suceeded! Wow!

I don't know what your excact situation is, but would it be possible for you to get a temporary job out there before commiting yourself to permanence? But then you have to think about your situation, as regards accomodation and posessions here in Blighty.

I only say this as you have been agoraphobic and suddenly you find freedom in Texas which must be a great feeling. But to what degree is this influencing your judgement? If you had visited Glasgow or Malta, how much of a temptation would it be to live there and enjoy freedom?

I'm sure you have been Googling on this subject and am sure there are forums there too!

Now get on and enjoy life to the full:)

shoegal
24-04-07, 01:57
All I can say Ross is well done mate! I am absolutely astounded by what you have managed to achieve! It's brilliant!!! :yesyes:

If you find a way of working over in America, let me know cos it's my dream to live there also. I don't think I'm brave enough yet, but you have inspired me. :D

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

jo61
24-04-07, 08:08
Well done Ross. You're now moving into a brave new world. Good luck.

Ross
24-04-07, 18:52
:blush: Thanks Guys! :)

Welcome Back Ross, and it's great that you seem to have suceeded! Wow!

I don't know what your excact situation is, but would it be possible for you to get a temporary job out there before commiting yourself to permanence? But then you have to think about your situation, as regards accomodation and posessions here in Blighty.

I only say this as you have been agoraphobic and suddenly you find freedom in Texas which must be a great feeling. But to what degree is this influencing your judgement? If you had visited Glasgow or Malta, how much of a temptation would it be to live there and enjoy freedom?

I'm sure you have been Googling on this subject and am sure there are forums there too!

Now get on and enjoy life to the full:)

Hi Ray. Yep, it's a very valid point, and I think that if I were to have travelled anywhere in the world it would have maybe had the same desired effect.

There were several reasons for travelling to Texas, of which I wont bore you with details, but those reasons aren't in Glasgow or Malta :winks:

So, the move isn't based purely on escape from Agora, in fact, thats probably quite low on the list.

Many thanks for your encouragement. :yesyes:

All I can say Ross is well done mate! I am absolutely astounded by what you have managed to achieve! It's brilliant!!! :yesyes:

If you find a way of working over in America, let me know cos it's my dream to live there also. I don't think I'm brave enough yet, but you have inspired me. :D

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

I will certainly let you know of the decisions I make with regards to Immigration into the US. There are so many different ways to go about it, and from what I have been told, it can take several months, even years to become fully integrated.

As for not being brave enough, thats exactly how I felt. Don't influence yourself into thinking its currently an impossibility. If you want it, you will do it!

Best Of Luck, and I will keep in touch!

Me xxx

trac67
24-04-07, 19:01
Even though I have already told you thought I would add here how flippin proud I am of you and how pleased everything went sooooo well for you honey:D

Glad your back for a while though, missed having someone to talk to me at stupid o'clock in the morning while i am working lol

WELL DONE AGAIN :hugs: :hugs:

Love

Trac xxx