PDA

View Full Version : Had a horrible reaction to sertraline

Scotzil
23-05-16, 21:28
Hi everyone.

I visited the GP today to discuss going back on meds for my anxiety. I have previously been on paroxetine but it eventually stopper being effective. The GP gave me sertraline to take for six weeks, 50mg once a day.

I took the first one around 6pm. At 7.30pm I felt light headed and had a cold sweat. My stomach was gurgling and hurting and I felt nauseous. At 8.30pm I had to run (or rather, dizzily sway) to the bathroom to have explosive diarrhoea (I have never experienced anything like it in my life). The cold sweat returned and I had to lay down on the tiled floor for the coolness and ride it out, trying not to faint.

Now it is nearly 9.30pm and I am on the couch. I don't feel as dizzy but my stomach feels horrible, so I am pretty sure I am soon in for a repeat performance.

I won't be taking any more of those pills, but my question is do I need medical attention tonight or will I be okay to just go to bed, try to sleep and see where I am at in the morning?

Elen
23-05-16, 21:37
If it were me I would just sleep it off

Shazamataz
23-05-16, 22:09
I'd say just sleep it off and you will be fine but perhaps sertraline isn't the right med for you if you reacted so severely so quickly. It didn't agree with me either. I lasted a week of burping/throwing up and explosive pooping and had to stop taking it. I wish I'd stopped immediately!

hermionegranger
24-05-16, 01:06
I had a similar experience with Sertraline. The effects will fully wear off within the next 24hours so just hold on! Make sure to let your doctor know so you can potentially figure out an alternate plan - for me, I switched over to Prozac which gave me far less side effects.

Scotzil
24-05-16, 11:31
Thanks guys. I did as suggested and went to bed. Feeling a bit better this morning, but only lasted an hour and a half in work before the dizzy cold sweat returned and so now I am at home, eyeing up my gurgling stomach suspiciously.

I will call the GP at some point and ask to switch. I guess maybe another one won't make me as sick as paroxetine never made me feel this awful.

Thanks again for replying guys.