PDA

View Full Version : Help panicking over ecg test noise

Justanutter
24-05-16, 11:43
Went for an ecg this morning at Drs. Needed because I want to go back on some beta-blockers I've been on for over 25 years that they took me off because of some possible contraindications with my AD. Dr said I could go on them as only a very low dose but would send me for an ecg to check for Long QT blips etc.

Anyway, had loads of ecgs in past but nurse wired me up and as she started the machine I felt a bit of a funny 'rush' through my body and then the machine was bleeping and making loud noises!!! Nurse thought it was just the machine but did it again and again, the machine went mad - I thought, hell, this is it, it's going to be an ambulance job!!!

Nurse said she would send ecg down the telephone line to hospital and she rang hospital and Dr checked it and said it was all normal apart from a raised heart rate and Nurse said I was anxious. She said I was fine to go but I was really panicking by then as she couldn't explain the noise the machine had made. She said they wouldn't let me go if it was anything to worry about.

I am not convinced and am in a serious panic now thinking I'm going to get a phone call to come into hospital and that there is something wrong otherwise why would the machine do that??? The usually only make a slight 'purring noise' and also, why did I feel 'funny' when the ecg started? I have to go to Drs for a follow-up next week once the hospital Dr has written his report.

I am now thinking I need to pay to go and see a Cardiologist as I've read that ecgs aren't reliable for all heart stuff.

I'm in a right state now. Anybody else had that experience? :weep:

Gary A
24-05-16, 11:57
You had an adrenaline rush which caused a rapid spike in your heart rate. You most probably had the adrenaline rush because you were anxious about the test.

This is very common when taking things like blood pressure and pulse rates. Medical professionals are fully aware that people are most often anxious when having tests like this done. Your nurse did the right thing by posting the readings to a doctor. The doctor knows what to look for in terms of anxiety or an actual emergency.

Further testing may be needed depending on what findings there were, but I really wouldn't stress yourself over this, it's actually a pretty common occurrence.

Justanutter
24-05-16, 12:02
I hope so Gary - thanks. I keep trying to console myself by the fact that the Dr on the other end wasn't asking me to go to the hospital there and then. Also, I assume people who have genuinely serious heart problems and have an ecg, the machine doesn't sound off like that - just would give an instant problem alert on the reading?

Gary A
24-05-16, 13:17
The machine, as far as you're concerned, doesn't matter to you. The only thing you need concern yourself with is the doctors reading of it. His conclusion was that the readings were normal aside from the usual spikes given off by you being anxious.

It really is that simple, your ECG was fine, forget what noise the machine made, medicine is far more advanced than what noises a mechanical piece of machinery give off.

Justanutter
24-05-16, 14:00
Thanks Gary :)