PDA

View Full Version : Forgetfulness?

.Poppy.
26-05-16, 03:55
I've always had a tendency to be a bit spacey but I have been worse lately and I'm naturally TERRIFIED. Losing control mentally is super scary to me.

I am out with friends and couldn't find my keys. Went to see if I locked them in my car and turns out I left them in the ignition, doors unlocked, AND motor running. Granted it was raining hard and I was distracted by the flights we booked earlier BUT that's still a massive thing to forget.

I'm on Lexapro and Citalopram. Is that a possible side effect? I'm scared to check. How bad is this? I'm terrified I'm going to lose my mind.

MyNameIsTerry
26-05-16, 05:25
Why are you on two SSRI's, Poppy? That seems a very strange combination and especially given Escitalopram is an improved Citalopram (in a way).

Forgetfulness is listed in the Uncommon (0.1-1%) category for Escitalopram. It's not listed in bulleted sections though.

It isn't listed in the same Psychiatric section against Citalopram but there is a mention of loss of memory in the contact your doctor section. What constitutes as loss of memory is unclear though and it could mean more severe loss than a short term memory issue like you are describing that is a known issue for anxiety anyway so please bare that in mind.

You certainly won't lose your mind. What you have experienced is very common with mental health disorders. My memory has suffered due to anxiety and I had a really good one as my last job involved remembering a lot of numerical coding descriptions and processes/industry regulation. I found maths hard for a while too and I've always been good at that. I guess that's why I noticed it had slipped.

Just having a load of brain fog can do things like this to us and anything like DP/DR or feeling "washed out" from high anxiety periods or panic attacks does too.

If you are getting confusion too, I would have a chat with your doctor because that's also a side effect on those meds and one they tell you to check with them about.

But please don't worry about these "check with your doctor" sections because it can just be so they can monitor it, adjust dosage, etc.

.Poppy.
26-05-16, 10:34
Thanks terry, I feel a bit better.

My phone must have autocorrected - I am on Lexapro and clonazepam, not cit.

I have a psych appointment in June so will mention then.

MyNameIsTerry
26-05-16, 13:34
Phew. Something good about an auto correct mistake. I knew about Escitalopram but hasn't had Cit before so you know the additional concern mixing antidepressants can bring, which can include confusion but not forgetfulness.

Auto correct has been a source of amusement over here because the software for the deaf subtitles in live broadcasts was making a lot of gaffs. Some amusing famous ones are:

"Let's all have a minute's violence for the Queen Mother" instead of silence at her funeral. (That would have been quite something, state sponsored too :winks:)

"The pigs love coming into the shed, they nibble on our willies" instead of wellies.

And one town was said to be getting a visit from "the Arch b*tch of Canterbury" rather than the Archbishop.

:roflmao:

I know it may seem strange with you being young but it's common. It doesn't mean the various mental illnesses people think of, in case your HA is messing you around, and Serotonin plays a role in memory so it can be that.

.Poppy.
26-05-16, 14:26
Haha. I love reading Autocorrect mistakes :)

I will mention it to my doctor. I think it's brain fog too. I keep telling myself I drove my friend there and she didn't mention the car being left on either!

I've also noticed myself being spacey to the point that I'll nick doorways when I go through them. It's not depth perception or anything it's like I'm just honestly not paying attention. But of course with HA my mind goes to the worst.

Thing is, I was tired and spacey before too, maybe not quite like this, but it's still hard to decipher what is med related and what is just...me. I'm also under extra stress due to vacation plans, but excited stress! Although with these current issues I get excited and then I get that sinking feeling that my life is off track and I have nothing to be excited about.

I'll speak to my psych when I see him and am in the process of getting a new therapist. Hopefully that will help.