PDA

View Full Version : sore on side of tongue

nhelen79
27-05-16, 20:00
hi everyone,
2 weeks ago I got into a car accident and bite side of my tongue.

pass forward 2 weeks, it's healing but it's still not completely gone. the tongue top surface area is healed. under the side, there is still red/sore but not hurt anymore.I went to the ENT doctor this morning. after exam, he said just monitor for 2 more weeks and it looked like trauma sore since there is also a sharp tooth sitting right under the sore. if it doesn't get better, need to come back for biopsy.

I didn't think much until the word biopsy comes in. now im all panic over the thought of tongue cancer :( im 37 years old, dont' drink or smoke at all.

what can I do to speed up the healing process? I've been gaggling with warm salt water. I will go to dentist next week to file down the sharp tooth if it's the real cause.

thanks a lot,

Fishmanpa
27-05-16, 20:17
The ENT is just being cautious. I had surgeries in my mouth and throat (back of tongue and tonsils). The mouth takes a long time to heal because it always dark and wet. Keep on gargling but try this solution...

16oz water, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon baking soda. Use it as often as needed. It really helped me to heal.

Positive thoughts

Mojo61
27-05-16, 20:38
It will be the sharp tooth irritating the tongue. Can't the dentist smooth of the sharp edge for you?

nhelen79
27-05-16, 23:08
thanks Fishmanpa and Moj61. I will try the solution you suggested. as for my tooth, I will have an apt with the dentist on Tuesday. I will show her the sore as well. this ruins my long weekend :( anxiety is a killer.

---------- Post added at 22:08 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

The ENT is just being cautious. I had surgeries in my mouth and throat (back of tongue and tonsils). The mouth takes a long time to heal because it always dark and wet. Keep on gargling but try this solution...

16oz water, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon baking soda. Use it as often as needed. It really helped me to heal.

Positive thoughts

Hi Fishmanpa, I forgot to add. the water, does it has to be warm? can I prepare it with just lukewarm water in the morning and bring it to work with me?

thanks

nhelen79
02-06-16, 04:23
My anxiety is getting worse. I went to the dentist yesterday. She exam it and explained that it is healing. Now it is only a small line at the cut which has a white coat filling over it. She said give it another 2 weeks because tongue takes forever to heal and your tongue is active like 16-18hrs a day. She said it is not oral cancer and she has seen oral cancer from start to finish and can tell.

This calmed down for a day then now I'm scared why the white line hasn't gone. Why it takes so long? I've been using the salt/baking soda warm water for a few days now. The area is not red anymore but this small white line at the cut is still there and it is driving me with fears :(

Thanks for reading. I just needs to say it out.

Fishmanpa
02-06-16, 12:33
So the ENT affirmed what I said. I get to say a well deserved "told ya so" ;) Sorry you're still feeling anxious about this.

Positive thoughts

DrG00GLE
02-06-16, 12:33
If it was tongue cancer, it would be growing not healing. You would definitely feel it and your dentist would definitely see it.