PDA

View Full Version : Bad constipation

phil06
28-05-16, 11:28
I had a breakdown a few weeks back and I'm having bad constipation. Went a tiny bit yesterday but keep worrying and I'm trying to avoid taking a laxative as I'm on other meds. Been drinking loads of orange juice worried I will be in hospital if I can't go? :ohmy:

---------- Post added at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 ----------

Prior to my breakdown I had the opposite I would have soft stools and go daily

KatiePink
28-05-16, 12:47
Sometimes orange can have the opposite effect. Try just water and lots of it, also if it's possible moving around a lot.
I found caffeine would help me 'go' sometimes, not sure why.
How long has it been since you had a bowel movement? If you're struggling to go you may need some help, if it's not been too long however you can try things from home.
Peppermint tea is good, also try prunes they help.

The main thing is relaxing, because the more tense and focused on it you are the less likely it is. Are you in any pain?

MyNameIsTerry
28-05-16, 13:16
Try natural laxative like Katie said. Prunes, small citrus type fruits like mandarins. Pears I think too. And some nuts.

When my dad had an operation over a year ago he had bad constipation. The follow up nurse told him the above as preferable to prescription laxatives which they like to avoid.

You can get fibre supplements that you spoon into your food nowadays. Maybe they help? Basically get the fibre back into you.

Some probiotics may help too as they keep the GI running smoothly. So, yoghurt for that or yoghurt milk like Actimel.

phil06
28-05-16, 14:01
Sometimes orange can have the opposite effect. Try just water and lots of it, also if it's possible moving around a lot.
I found caffeine would help me 'go' sometimes, not sure why.
How long has it been since you had a bowel movement? If you're struggling to go you may need some help, if it's not been too long however you can try things from home.
Peppermint tea is good, also try prunes they help.

The main thing is relaxing, because the more tense and focused on it you are the less likely it is. Are you in any pain?

No pain and yes maybe I need to relax after having a breakdown I've struggled and got anxious about life in general. :blush:

phil06
29-05-16, 08:06
I took a laxative it says 6-12 hours to work I assume they will work? I chewed not swallowed I'm worried my consistipation is with all the meds am on?

phil06
29-05-16, 21:52
I finally went but still feel incomplete is this normal?