PDA

View Full Version : Calves aching constantly with twitching

WTW12
28-05-16, 13:09
Hi

Poster about different symptoms on here over last few months.
Suffered with anxiety around health badly these last 5 months.
At the minute it's the constant calf ache, worse in right leg but also left does ache.

It's all the time I wake up on a morning it's there and it's 24/7.
I can feel my right leg trembling when I'm stood up or sat down or laid in bed.

Also I notice my right calf twitches a lot. Everytime I sit down I notice it happening.

This started in calves around 2 weeks ago where I noticed the twitching but now they also ache constantly and feel shaky.
What is this? I'm so worried about als or ms. I'm only 25 but i can see ms affects this age and als can also.

Worried because of the twitching but also because for the last week my legs have ached 24/7 and I've never had this before.

Anyone had anything similar?

Annie0904
28-05-16, 14:12
Have you done any exercise recently such as climbing a lot of stairs or walking, cycling?

Isalys
28-05-16, 14:30
It's called BFS (benign fasciculation syndrome) and it's very common among anxiety sufferers. Take some magnesium/vitamins, it can help! But it's directly linked to stress/anxiety.

WTW12
28-05-16, 14:43
No I haven't done any exercise.

I've looked up BFS, would it cause continuous aching though and almost continuous twitching?

I feel like I've ran a marathon my legs just ahead so much and shaky

Josh1234
28-05-16, 18:41
Yes, it can. Some people with BFS twitch 24 hours a day, and muscle aches, pains, stabs, burns, shakes, tremors, spasms, cramps are all part of it. It's a form of anxiety that really attacks your nerves, makes them hyperexcitable. At one point, my feet twitched every day for almost a month.

WTW12
28-05-16, 20:52
The twitching does worry me but I have had twitching all over at some point. Worst was on left eye lid.

However all stopped and happened occasionaly. and my calf twitch has been happening a lot and every day.

It's the aching which I don't understand, it's seems to be getting worse, about 2 weeks ago my calf just felt tight and achy. But now it's there every second of everyday even when I lay down my leg aches so bad. When I walk it's bad or do anything. It's a constant ache on my full calf and behind the knee at the back. It makes my right leg feel weak.

I can't seem to find many people who have suffered with this type of ache for such a long time and just been anxiety.

I am really anxious about ms and als now. Mainly als.

I have been checking my muscles on calf and they don't seem to be wasting but my leg does feel weak which is a sign and also the aching and twitching is a sign.

I know it's rare but I also know yoing people can get it.

If there is anyone who had this please comment

KatiePink
28-05-16, 21:13
Just checked your other posts did you see the neurologist on the 25th?

WTW12
28-05-16, 21:36
I seen the neurologist but that was regarding headaches.
I mentioned my calf but he didn't seem to interested. Just about my headaches because that's what I was referred for.
He checked my eyes did a co ordination test. Then tapped hammer on arms and knees.
I am getting a mri in a few weeks anyway but he said 99% sure head is ok.

I wanted him to take more interest in my calf ache and twitching but he didn't

And mri won't show anything for als anyway

Josh1234
29-05-16, 07:08
Sign of what? No, aching is not a sign. ALS is not associated with pain. And no, "feeling weak" is not a sign...BEING weak is a sign. 2 weeks of aches is a long time? LOL, I've been having aches and pains for months due to anxiety.

---------- Post added at 06:08 ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 ----------

Also, if you had ALS onset in your leg, your reflexes would be screwed.

WTW12
29-05-16, 08:51
I feel like because the ache is getting worse as in its more intense.
When I sit down after work or lay down on a night they ache so bad, surely they will feel better when resting.

I can't seem to find anything or anybody who has had similar ache but non stop.
I can understand aching neck and shoulders on and off. But not calf muscle and it never feels normal.

I just don't understand how it could be anxiety if it is constant ache

KatiePink
29-05-16, 09:09
How active are you as in do you do much exercise or walking? Lack of exercise could be a contributor too. Are you hydrated enough and is it both legs? Definitely doesn't sound like Als to me

WTW12
29-05-16, 10:13
I don't do a lot of exercise, however I am still relatively fit. I work on my feet in a shop. My left calf had ached a little on and off but hardly.
It's mainly my right.

I woke up this morning and they felt better but as soon as I start walking or drive the car it's starts.

It constantly feels shaky when I'm standing and aches which will get worse as day goes on

WTW12
30-05-16, 09:51
May I just add that the muscle twitching isn't 24/7 I just notice it every day.
Mainly when I am sat down.

The trembling feeling is there most of the time and also the aching

---------- Post added at 09:51 ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 ----------

Sorry to add further.

I also get a like hot feeling in my foot mainly toes on my right side aswell.
Lasts a couple of seconds and then stops.
But happens a lot through the day.
This is the same side as my aching leg etc.

I know that anxiety can cause a lot of things including muscle tension, and I have had a lot of symptoms over these last 5 months.
One strange one was the weird feeling in my right arm. But all of these have stopped or at least subsided for a period of time.

This is constant ache which seems to be getting worse.
Surely can't be anxiety or muscle tension in calf

Anyone had anything similar?

Kath63
07-06-16, 18:15
I have the aches behind my leg by the knee. To me it reminds me of growing pains I had when younger. My calves also hurt like I worked out. I think my problem is because when I and stressed I tense up my legs without knowing something like when we tighten our jaw it hurts after. I find myself standing with my legs stiff and knees are pushed back when I stand. Make any since? We may not notice we are doing it. Sometimes the pain comes and goes it's a dull ache. I also get headaches in the back of my head that comes and goes but I know it's a tension headache and I never need to something to relieve that headache because it's a dull one. Hope your feeling better.

Beccag
09-06-16, 21:53
You would know if it was als. I spent 2 years convinced I had it and I didn't listen to anyone when they told me otherwise. None of these symptoms related and you would have a significant neurological weakness and not just a pain and twitching. You are fine.

Beckybecks
09-06-16, 22:03
I had this about two years ago. I thought I'd pulled a muscle, except it was in both calves. Felt like I'd been for a long run, except I hadn't and it went on for months. And first thing in the morning they were the most painful. Then I read somewhere about taking Magnesium for leg pain. I started taking it and the pain left, it's come back slightly now and then, but not as bad. I still take the Magnesium. It does seem to have helped.

indigogardens
14-06-16, 21:04
Well are you thinking about this constantly? Is your mind trying to solve it all the time? If so stop doing that, you are creating more stress hormones in your body which will make your leg twitching worse. Stress definitely causes twitching. The best thing you could do for your legs, which you are probably not going to want to hear is to get some exercise. Exercise will teach your muscle to relax better overtime. So if you can just do 5 min starting out that would be great and maybe go 10 min the next week as you build, your legs should improve. One of the most important things of course is to stop fixating on it and lessen your anxiety!

busterrufus
15-06-16, 16:06
I,ve had anxiety symptoms on and off for years. Over 2 months ago I suffered bad calf cramps. Since then I,ve had painful burning calves, with the muscles twitching. This happens every day whether I am sitting or lying. Sometimes pain is bad enough to keep me awake all night and sometimes makes me tense my legs even more. Often feels like my calf muscles are on the verge of cramping. It's very distressing, worse than it sounds because it rarely goes away. I ,m trying magnesium supplements, but no luck yet. quinnine tabs from Dr didn,t work.
What symptoms did you have in the 5 months before your leg trouble?
Good luck, busterfufus

Beckybecks
15-06-16, 16:49
I've had anxiety and many many symptoms for over twenty years now.
I don't thnk painful calves are an anxiety symptom but it's how we react to a smptom that makes the difference. With HA we tend to magnify our symptom so that a simple cold can become a brain tumour in our minds and YES, we get all the symptoms of the brain tumour too! Which is why I say DONT GOOGLE!

At the time of my painful calves I was going through a marriage breakdown, losing my business and home and my daughter had just left home. Enough to produce a million anxiety symptoms, which it did, but I doubt the calf pain was one of them.

What I'm trying to say is that your leg symptom is no doubt very real, but your high anxiety is magnifying it and you're probably feeding it by reading symptoms on Google.

Muscle twitching is a common anxiety symptom.

As indigo garden suggested, try a little exercise. You have nothing to lose and it could genuinely help your leg problem.

iPodClassic
15-06-16, 17:01
With HA we tend to magnify our symptom so that a simple cold can become a brain tumour in our minds and YES, we get all the symptoms of the brain tumour too! Which is why I say DONT GOOGLE!

Hi! But what if you have the symptom BEFORE googling?

indigogardens
17-06-16, 02:33
If you have the symptom before googling, it is just a symptom of a highly stimulated nervous system. When our bodies go into flight or fight mode, our muscles can tense up in any part of the body, the legs being a very common place.

busterrufus
18-06-16, 13:57
Just read on bfs website that it is Not caused by anxiety/stress!

WTW12
19-06-16, 09:48
Hi

I had around 10 days to 2 weeks were my calf stopped aching and feeling weird.

I think the twitching continued, I noticed the twitching whenever I was sat down with my right foot on floor. It twitches.

Then the other day I played golf and afterwards I was sat down felt the twitching, and since then the last few days my calf has started aching bad again, I feel the twitching more, feels strange when I walk.
This has got my obsessed with my calf again and ALS, I keep looking and feeling my calfs to see if the look/feel the same, I just have a worry that this ache and twitching will lead to weakness. And because there is no test that can say you don't have it is there? Any similar experiences?
Would my aching go and feel better if it was als?

Josh1234
20-06-16, 06:38
ALS is a relentless and progressive disease. There are no "good days." For some people, they get worse in a matter of two weeks..not see improvement like you did. Besides and again, pain is not normally associated with ALS - especially not in the beginning.

busterrufus
20-06-16, 11:18
Mine have been aching and twitching over two and a half months now. Constant, although some days (and nights) worse than others. This is a new symptom for me. Does anyone know how to stop it or how long it lasts . It exhausting me but really really scaring me too. Reading about bfs and rls, says they are not caused by anxiety, therefore must have another cause.

RhiannaLouiseHerbert
20-06-16, 16:11
I have twitching in my legs almost constantly and also in my finger.. My right middle one just twitches and this has happened on and off for months and months ! I also have extremely achey legs and sometimes wrists.. It's when I'm resting it's like this throbbing ache :( i went to the doctors and told him about the twitches and he said straight away 'anxiety' and I'm GUESSING that the aches come from the fact that our muscles are constantly contracting when they're twitching?? Xxx

Captain irrational
20-06-16, 20:59
Would my aching go and feel better if it was als?

Absolutely not. ALS does not "wax and wane", once it begins it only get's progressively worse, once an ALS symptom is there, it's there for good and will never get better.

The symptoms you describe really do not point towards ALS. Aches and pains are not a sign of ALS at all, nor are muscle twitches in and of themselves. The twitching associated with ALS comes after or is accompanied by clinical weakness and atrophy (muscle wasting). Believe me, you WILL know very quickly if you have clinical weakness and atrophy, there is no mistaking it, it is far more severe and debilitating than the percieved weaknesses associated with anxiety.

If you have twitching but no obvious signs of clinical weakness and atrophy, then relax, because you DON'T have ALS.

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

Mine have been aching and twitching over two and a half months now. Constant, although some days (and nights) worse than others. This is a new symptom for me. Does anyone know how to stop it or how long it lasts . It exhausting me but really really scaring me too. Reading about bfs and rls, says they are not caused by anxiety, therefore must have another cause.

That's not true at all. Nobody knows for sure what causes either condition, but it is widely accepted in medical science that stress and anxiety are a potential cause of both.

I can tell you for a fact that whenever I am in a higher state of anxiousness, I get all sorts of weird little aches, pains, itches and twitches all over my body. As I type this now, I can feel a muscle in my calf bubbling and twitching away down. When I manage to lower my anxiety, these symptoms usually go away, or at the very least become far less frequent and less noticeable.

iPodClassic
22-06-16, 18:21
Well, I am not trying to scare you but these things have to be checked. Why do I say this? I am up for testing for Guillain Barré syndrome. It all started with what I thought was RLS, and 3 weeks later I'm next in line for GBS testing.

I am much worse now, as my legs are so weak, but I still walk. I am of course contacting a lawyer to sue my medical insurance company, as they own the hospital that misdiagnosed me, after being so clear with my smptoms, and I went there repeated times.

WTW12
01-07-16, 13:07
Hi

Well my ache isn't quite as bad as what it was, more on and off.

However the twitching is still there, my right calf feels very tense and looks tense.

It's whenever I sit down my right calf always twitches, everytime I sit down.

Has anyone else experienced this? I just wish the twitching would stop, I seem to calm my anxiety down and then I sit down and within seconds I feel it going mad and it just starts my anxiety about als again

Any thoughts

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 ----------

Also, because I am anxious about it...I can't stop thinking about my calf, so because I am concentrating on it can that cause my calf to feel strange?

busterrufus
01-07-16, 18:32
Hi, so does your twitching get worse with sitting,or with anxiety?

WTW12
02-07-16, 08:40
Well I have been suffering with anxiety for months now so I don't know if that's the reason for the twitching etc.

But I feel the twitching when I am sat or sometimes laid down

But I know that I obsess about things so obviously now it's my right calf, and so when I sit down I wait for the twitch to start.
And it does

busterrufus
02-07-16, 09:33
The symptoms page says that stress biology can cause twitching. I think that means adrenaline and muscle tension can cause it.

When you notice a peak in your anxiety during the day, does your ache/ twitching increase at the same time.

WTW12
03-07-16, 08:55
To be honest, I don't really have peaks of anxiety throughout the day. I pretty much constantly think about my calf. So I pretty much feel everything, so everytime I sit it begins to twitch.
And it aches a lot, and I feel like I am walking funny.

But I am unsure whether it's because I am constantly obsessing over it and focusing on it

Josh1234
03-07-16, 14:22
Can you walk on your toes and heels? If so, you are fine.

WTW12
04-07-16, 15:57
Also my calf trembles, sometimes when I am laid down But nearly all the time when stood or sat, feel like my calf are shaking,

Anybody had this? Is this something else for me to worry about or is it normal

Josh1234
04-07-16, 16:47
You gonna answer the question?

WTW12
04-07-16, 19:07
Answer as in can i walk on my toes and heels....yes I can

But what if it goes from the aching and twitching and trembling now and turns into weakness
That's my worry

HalfJack
04-07-16, 19:14
Is it like muscle spasms? Or cramp? I get cramp and spasms when I'm very stressed.
Cramp is painful, spasms aren't they just feel weird.

WTW12
04-07-16, 19:28
The trembling is just vibration, I feel it when stood still or sat or laid still.

Sometimes the twitching in calf is painless, but sometimes I know it's going to twitch because I feel a mild cramp just before it starts.

Josh1234
04-07-16, 20:54
If you have legitimate weakness, NOT perceived, yes, of course, that's a cause for concern. But honestly, that's not gonna happen. ALS is incredibly rare - twitching BEFORE weakness is even more rare than that. You have a better chance of being struck by lightning.

busterrufus
05-07-16, 22:16
Maybe muscle tension from anxiety is causing it?

Shauny
19-07-16, 11:23
Hi. I am new here and my left calf is constantly bubbling away. It's driving me mad. I have been suffering from this for 4 months and have been doing constant strength excercises every day to "make sure" it still works. I can't really offer any advice but wanted you to know that you're not alone. I am totally freaking out about MND but keep reassuring myself with posts on forums like this one. I know everyone keeps mentioning BFS and I hope that's all we have. I'm sure we'll be OK. If you need to chat let me know ��

busterrufus
19-07-16, 12:58
Its awful. It's hard to explain how bad it feels. I wish it would start to go a bit. I been trying to relax muscles but it's not worked yet.

Have you found any difference when you relax?

Hope you feel better soon.

Shauny
21-08-16, 09:19
Its awful. It's hard to explain how bad it feels. I wish it would start to go a bit. I been trying to relax muscles but it's not worked yet.

Have you found any difference when you relax?

Hope you feel better soon.

To be honest, it doesn't seem to get any better when I'm relaxed. But it is there popping away all day every day when I'm sitting or lying down!! I know people keep saying that anxiety may be causing these twitches but when it all started, I was in a really good place, no stress, just got a new job etc etc so I am a little dubious that anxiety/stress brought this on, which worries me even more. :ohmy::ohmy:

WTW12
21-08-16, 19:35
Everyone else still suffering? Does everyone else have it in both calves though?

My worry is that my problems are in one calf?

I had around a week where it didn't feel crampy or shaky I I didn't feel twitches or concentrate on it, but nw it's back.

I get the odd rare random twitch in left calf, no more than the odd twitch every else in body.

But it's everytime I sit down my right calf will twitch pretty much in the same place aswell, it drives me mad. I don't get why sitting triggers it.

Also when I am laying in bed or laying down I can feel my right calf vibrating inside.

Does anyone else get little crampy sensations? And feel like there leg is weaker?

Leg muscle seems the same as other. This whole worry about als is horrible, I just wonder if I hadn't looked up about it if I ever would of got these symptoms or would of made anything of it etc.

Anyone who has had this in one calf before for a long time like 3/4 months? And it stopped etc?

Captain irrational
30-08-16, 12:52
Everyone else still suffering? Does everyone else have it in both calves though?

I had around a week where it didn't feel crampy or shaky I I didn't feel twitches or concentrate on it, but nw it's back.

I get the odd rare random twitch in left calf, no more than the odd twitch every else in body.

But it's everytime I sit down my right calf will twitch pretty much in the same place aswell, it drives me mad. I don't get why sitting triggers it.

Also when I am laying in bed or laying down I can feel my right calf vibrating inside.

Does anyone else get little crampy sensations? And feel like there leg is weaker?

Leg muscle seems the same as other. This whole worry about als is horrible, I just wonder if I hadn't looked up about it if I ever would of got these symptoms or would of made anything of it etc.

Anyone who has had this in one calf before for a long time like 3/4 months? And it stopped etc?

Mine has always been worse in the left calf, and usually in one spot just below the back of the knee. I was also speaking to my sister's partner the other day and he mentioned that he gets twitches all the time in his left forearm, a less commonly elsewhere in the body. It's totally normal to have twitching "hot spots", as they call them on the BFS forum.

Xopher
17-02-17, 10:40

I have 24/7 fasiculations in both calves, but a bit more prominent in the right - pretty much a twitch every 10 seconds or so. This has been going on for about 5 months now. I also get some cramp occasional and BFS can cause cramping too and sometimes can make the muscle feel a bit weak. That's because its moving all the time I guess. As no one has posted for so long in this thread i guess everyone has improved somewhat, but it would be good to hear if that's true. It's quite common in these types of forums for people to all over a sudden stop posting. I like to think its because their anxiety has calmed as well as the symptoms. Anyway hopefully we can pick this up again, as it's nice to hear some reassurance from others.

busterrufus
17-02-17, 20:28
Xopher, I have had similar leg symptoms as you for almost a year. Burning twitching calves, sometimes calf and foot cramps. They have eased somewhat, there is a definite correlation between these symptoms and anxiety, when my anxiety worsens my legs play up more. I have been taking magnesium supplements for a few months during which I have seen improvement ,however I cannot say for certain that the mag is responsible for the change but maybe its worth a try? Good luck