PDA

View Full Version : New family member

PatNops3152
29-05-16, 13:46
Hi, I am new to this site and my son is suffering from Health Anxiety and is hospitalized at this time. His many perceived health issues are ruining his quality of life and we as family have no idea how we can help. Unfortunately, his health care providers seem oblivious to this condition. Getting him to the hospital was a chore in itself.
What can I do, aside from being his champion with the staff?
He is certain he is dying - and it is very difficult to not be able to help.
Thank you in advance,
A very loving, caring, worried Mother

venusbluejeans
29-05-16, 13:51
Hiya PatNops3152 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

fduop
31-05-16, 14:56
Good morning PatNops3152. I am assuming your son is showing no signs of a health issue the doctors can measure, high blood pressure, irregular pulse or heart rate. If that is the case, I can certainly see where he is coming from. Before I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder I was in and out of the emergency room being told I was fine and go home. This went on for a while, till one doctor suggested I use the local mental health center.

After waiting what seemed like months I finally got my appointment and after a while of hiding under my covers I got some relief through medication and cognitive therapy. That was some 17 years ago and while I still battle with my panic and anxiety, I am much better armed in dealing with it.

But I will say, I am no professional, just a professional patient. Your son is very lucky to have you in his corner, don't be happy until you get the answer you are both looking for. Anxiety and stress can be tricky things to deal with, but if the symptoms come and go, it's usually a panic or anxiety issue, Just don't be satisfied till you know for sure.