PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety before an important exam

BlueEyesShining
30-05-16, 18:32
Well, the title explains it pretty well. Although my exam is later this week I can feel my heart racing and my hands shaking even today. On top of that, my health anxiety is pretty bad. Any advice how to fight this? Thank you in advance :)

Emma_student
30-05-16, 19:43
Shout out from a fellow student!!! My last exam is tomorrow (Tuesday) and since the beginning of exams my anxieties and symptoms have been quite bad....

First off, just remember that these are classic anxiety symptoms and that they're not harmful. If anything, the adrenaline will help you on the day! It's a matter of telling yourself repeatedly that you are normal and safe, and that nothing bad will happen to you. ALLOW yourself to be anxious and acknowledge the symptoms your having and sit there....Feel them, notice them and accept the way your feeling. Breathe normally, or do some deep breathing until you feel yourself get calmer, then carry on with what your doing.

I would suggest is to do the usual (maintain a routine, exercise, eat healthy etc) and try doing something fun whilst your not revising to take your mind off the worry. Have you had any therapy at all, such as CBT? If so, try looking through the coping techniques and try and familiarise yourself with what works. If not, theres lots of free online CBT stuff and youtube vids for meditation and relaxation. For a quick fix, id say go do some exercise and get those endorphins going (im so lazy normally but when im so anxious and focusing inwards, dancing around my room or going for a walk around the park REALLY calms me down)

You know, just by typing this to you, ive realised that ive been neglecting these coping techniques so my anxiety has got to the point where im not sleeping properly... Gunna go have a boogie! Good luck BlueEyes

BlueEyesShining
30-05-16, 20:01
Shout out from a fellow student!!! My last exam is tomorrow (Tuesday) and since the beginning of exams my anxieties and symptoms have been quite bad....

First off, just remember that these are classic anxiety symptoms and that they're not harmful. If anything, the adrenaline will help you on the day! It's a matter of telling yourself repeatedly that you are normal and safe, and that nothing bad will happen to you. ALLOW yourself to be anxious and acknowledge the symptoms your having and sit there....Feel them, notice them and accept the way your feeling. Breathe normally, or do some deep breathing until you feel yourself get calmer, then carry on with what your doing.

I would suggest is to do the usual (maintain a routine, exercise, eat healthy etc) and try doing something fun whilst your not revising to take your mind off the worry. Have you had any therapy at all, such as CBT? If so, try looking through the coping techniques and try and familiarise yourself with what works. If not, theres lots of free online CBT stuff and youtube vids for meditation and relaxation. For a quick fix, id say go do some exercise and get those endorphins going (im so lazy normally but when im so anxious and focusing inwards, dancing around my room or going for a walk around the park REALLY calms me down)

You know, just by typing this to you, ive realised that ive been neglecting these coping techniques so my anxiety has got to the point where im not sleeping properly... Gunna go have a boogie! Good luck BlueEyes

Thank you Emma! In fact, this kind of exam is not one where you have to sit and read and study. It is kind of practical exam. So I don`t have much to revise.
I exercise every day and quite heavily, that helps me to cope with the stress, but still... I will have to talk a lot during the exam in front of more professors, so that makes me even more anxious (the eye contact, how my voice is going to sound etc.)
Yet you are right, sometimes the anxiety makes me more efficient and actually makes me get a better grade! :)