PDA

View Full Version : Trying to come off citalopram - please help

winnie
14-03-07, 10:55
I am trying to come of citalopram as I want tp start trying for a baby. I am really scared at the thought of coming off them. I do feel alot better but I am worried I won't be able to cope with the withdrawal. I have very slowly got down to 5mg every other day, but don't seem to beable to reduce it anymore. I have tried to miss 2 days and on the 2nd day I just think about the tablets constantly and start to worry about the withdrawal!!

I would really appreciate any advice.

nomorepanic
14-03-07, 11:55
Winnie

The withdrawal will be no worse that the symptoms you had when starting them.

You are doing it the right way - very slowly. They say that it should take as long to come off meds as it took to get to the dose you were on.

Has the doc suggested how long to take the 5mg every 2 days for?

winnie
14-03-07, 12:55
My doctor has been no help. He told me wasn't sure of the best way to come of them and would research it and contact me. He never did so having to do it myself!

mandie
14-03-07, 12:57
Hi Winnie

I want to come off citalopram to. I have tried it several ways. i was on 10mg and i was told by doctor to take 10mg every other day, then after few weeks leave it 2 days etc. This didnt work for me.

I then decided to cut them in half and take 5mg for a few months.Now i am going to have one 5mg every other day for a month and see how i get on. The i will take one tablet every few days and so on.

I want to try for a baby so i really want to come off them. I want to do it very slowly because i no if i hurry to come off them my symptoms will come back

love mandie x

andrea568
29-10-08, 20:25
Oh my God!!!! I'm trying to come off them too, I feel so sick, I feel that I could throw up at any moment, I am terrified of feeling the way I did before I went on them, but, and I know it's fickle; I can't bear the amount of weight I've put on since taking them.
I'm trying to take one every other day but I get such dark thoughts, like I'm not in control of myself, but I know I wasn't in control of myself whilst I was taking them, they were in control of me, how can you think of anything when you're just medically numb!!! They numb your thoughts and feelings even if those feelings are positive.
It's absoloute hell coming off these drugs, maybe taking st Johns wort might be an option to replace them naturally?:unsure:

DebraC
29-10-08, 21:12
I came off them very gradually. I was on 40mg a day. I alternated 40 1 day, 30 the next, did that for a while, then gradually cut it down by 5mg at atime but it was a very lengthy process.
Years ago the Dr took me off seroxat without a gradual process and the side effects were horrendous so I took precautions this time.
Not nice coming off them but can be done with the minimum of side effects if done gradually!

eternally optimistic
29-10-08, 21:33
Hi

Im off them, think that should be a hoooray..

Ive been on a low dose of 10mg for just over a year - they have helped loads.

Decided to try to come of them back in early September. Doctor advised me to take one every other day. I had really bad head aches, normally suffer headaches, but these the wost.

I spoke with a colleague who said theyd been on them and said he was cutting his in half. This is how ive done it. I was missing some days and then eventually realised Id not taken one for days and days, and havent taken one in about 2/3 weeks.

I have had days when Ive reverted to being quite irritable which isnt good, but I can see the tell tell signs, so try and do something to revert the situation, like going for a walk etc.

Other than that, Ive had weird head sensations which I think I can live with.
Am assuming they will disappear eventually. I am reasoning with this by saying it is a current side effect that will go, fingers crossed.

I do hope that you work a way out for yourself that isnt too tricky.

I reckon it is an individual thing.

GOOD LUCK and dont worry about putting too much pressure on yourself to be off of them by a certain time.

andrea568
29-10-08, 22:14
Hi, Did you put on weight whist on Citalopram? I must admit it is a good anti-depressent but I've gradually become a recluse and I haven't really noticed until now, I'm actually noticing a lot of things now I'm taking less, I would've just ignored them before.
I'm narcoleptic and now I'm older I have to take something to regulate myself so I don't get stresed or laugh too much but to be honest I'd rather have attacks than be numbed to everything around me.
I was really depressed though before I went on them and I was really grateful to not feel that way anymore.
I'm worried I won't be able to cope without them, I'm just so addicted.

Andrea xxx