PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety in my daughter

misslove
01-06-16, 13:21
Lately I have noticed that my daughter has been saying she's nervous about doing things. We had a family dinner with my husbands family. It's people her and I haven't met before and she was really scared when we got there.i was too actually but I honestly think it's natural since we were being introduced to people we have never met or talked to. Felt like we were on a display in a museum. ( turned out good, they were nice people and they loved us). Also, yesterday she was late to school and she had to walk to her class all by herself becuase I'm not allowed to go with her and she was telling me how scared she was to walk by herself. I'm not sure what to do here. I have come along way with my anxiety but it's still there for sure. I don't lie to her and I tell her that sometimes I'm scared too and it's okay. Any parents out there fear their kids will follow their footsteps??

Fishmanpa
01-06-16, 13:30
My daughter (22) suffers from depression and anxiety. Her Mom (ex) suffered from severe depression. A few years ago, she came to me and told me what was going on and I realized the severity, contacted her mom and we got her help in the form of therapy and meds. She' had some ups and downs through the years but she works hard and is doing great now.

The fact you recognize the behaviors being a sufferer yourself is good. My advice is to look into professional help for both of you, nip this in the bud with your daughter and help you to better cope and support her when there's a blip.

Positive thoughts

misslove
02-06-16, 01:45
Honestly we can't afford good therapy. I mean we can but it would he mostly out of pocket for us. I was thinking of talking to her teacher and having her see the school therapist, but school is over in a few weeks. If she needs therapy then I will get her the help she needs. By as for me I don't know if I would feel right having to spend that much money on myself. Idk maybe I can call the insurance company and see what they say. The last therapist I talked to was a lot of money and she was referred by my doc.

.Poppy.
02-06-16, 02:09
Are you near any universities? I know my school has a clinic that is staffed by students getting their master's or doctorate degrees and are supervised by professionals. It's much lower cost and the therapy is really just as good because even though they're green, the students are hardworking and since they're supervised they can't get away with any kind of slacking.

Definitely give the insurance company a call, though. Sadly, some insurances are better than others here.

Fishmanpa
02-06-16, 02:28
Every state in the US has a mental health hotline/organization. They can help you based on income and circumstances. I found an affordable therapist to help me with some depression and "scanxiety" after my illnesses. There are support groups that meet which are free. There are free online CBT workbooks and courses and books available at public libraries. It's not a matter of "if" therapy is needed, it's "when" are you going to start. You're here admitting there's a problem. These are words on a screen and not real life help nor a replacement for it.

What I'm saying is, regardless of your personal financial situation, getting on the healing path is up to you. There are things that you can do. It's just the inner fortitude to pursue them. If you want something bad enough, you find a way.

Positive thoughts

misslove
02-06-16, 04:34
Thanks guys. I will look into some books. We visit the library quite a bit in the summer.

hanshan
02-06-16, 11:47
Hi Misslove,

How old is your daughter? Remember "school" outside North America means up to about age 17, so UK readers may not understand.