PDA

View Full Version : What to try after or with Citalopram? Pure O

perry12
01-06-16, 16:04
Hi everyone,

I have been doing ok but I seem to be stuck at this 'just ok' stage. CBT, ERP and reading books by ex sufferers has helped massively but with the pressures which I deal with in life, I have always been advised to stay on medication.

I had 3 good years, 0 anxiety, 0 OCD after completing CBT and staying on Zoloft/Setraline, stopped the medication and relapsed after 5 months.

and a year on I am still struggling with intrusions and as my therapist says, the medication just doesn't seem to be 'reaching' the OCD, its more resilient this time.

I am just looking for opinions as I had a horror time second time round when I went on Zoloft.

I have currently tried up to 150mg of Zoloft, Pregabalin and I am on 40mg Citalopram at the moment. None of which really touching my symptoms, I am sure Citalopram is helping slightly but not as good as Zoloft before it pooped.

What I have been recommended by my therapist is to try Venlafaxine which at higher doses is supposedly good for resilient conditions. My GP says to try Duloxetine which has some promising results where SSRI's haven't worked but then my therapist recommended against it.

Initially I thought to try Prozac and work up to the max dose, but this will be my third SSRI.

I just do not know which route to take and would really appreciate some opinions.

Venlafaxine? Duloxetine? Prozac? my head is spinning!

Thanks guys

Becky2785
01-06-16, 16:56
I also have these intrusive thoughts there the worst thing I've ever encountered I tho only had them for around 4 weeks awful thoughts that I would never think of in a million years wish they would just disapeer I'm on 10mg of cit day 17 not doing to bad apart from the thoughts

Hope u get sorted soon x

perry12
02-06-16, 08:49
Thanks Becky and I hope things ease up for you soon! At these early stages you should get on to some ERP therapy and you may be able to sort it out pretty sharpish. Mark Freeman on his youtube channel has helped me immensely, he is awesome and proof you can get up and over this.

Hopefully I will just find my suited medication to run alongside all that I have learnt and then I shall be there.

Can any one help or suggest re my query?

Thank you!

Becky2785
02-06-16, 09:17
I have these I'm really freaking out this morning about them had them through the night dint sleep much I'm at work all day and really trying to let them go but it's not happening they are seriously doing head in just want them gone feel like taking myself to the hospital as there that bad just want to cry today also on my monthlys so that ain't helping I suppose

Help needed x

perry12
02-06-16, 14:25
Hi Becky

I have been there and it really isn't nice. The great thing is you are at work and that is absolutely crucial, the last thing you need is time off and more time to be stuck with just your thoughts for company! The trouble is, is that your TRYING to let them go. The attitude you need to have is that, you basically don't give a crap whats going on in your head and that you are allowed to think whatever you like, just let it be there, don't try to do anything with the thoughts.

I have been where you explain and trust me, you can't fight this, you need to accept it and be at one with the thoughts.

There are plenty of books and professionals that can explain what your going through in depth and they can guide you out of this mess. I would recommend Mark Freeman for intrusions and Paul David for anything anxiety based, he got me completely over my health and generalised anxiety.

Good luck and keep going :)

Becky2785
02-06-16, 16:19
I just don't no how to explain them they just keep coming in all about suicide and what if I mean I'm not in any way suicidel or planning anything I have a really big fear of dying there just there with images I hate them and there scaring me so much I'm not depressed I am quite a happy person but these are really grinding me down xx

perry12
02-06-16, 16:33
I am a happy, positive and up beat person and this is why those sorts of thoughts hit you so hard, because they are the complete opposite to what you believe in.

An easy way to explain it, is that your anxiety has probably been extremely high and during that time you have had some silly thoughts come up randomly. If any of those silly thoughts scare you or give you anxiety, then your mind has flagged them as being an issue that needs to be sorted. Your mind loves to try and solve puzzles and protect you, so it will keep firing those horrible thoughts at you as a warning, a reminder you are terribly scared of them thoughts.

In a sense you have to train your mind not to be scared of them thoughts, to accept them, expose to them etc. Mark Freeman explains all this on his Youtube channel.

I had the exact same suicidal thoughts, they scared the living crap out of me and were coming at me constantly. I no longer have these. These are very very common symptoms of OCD/Anxiety which you are experiencing, unfortunately they probably won't just go away and you will need to research and learn, knowledge is key, don't fight it.

Becky2785
02-06-16, 18:16
I've come home from work and cried my eyes out I'm that scared of them thanks for taking the time to reply it means alot I will keep researching and will check the YouTube thing out thanks again x

Becky2785
03-06-16, 08:17
Still feel the same this morning really getting me down I hope I feel better soon of to work soon too