PDA

View Full Version : Scared i might go blind?

DrG00GLE
01-06-16, 21:49
I was watching a video about this one guy with a condition called retinitis pigmentosa where you slowly go blind and there is no cure. I looked it up and the first symptom I saw was night blindness in kids. Me being 13, I immediately felt scared and that night kept checking to see my vision and I felt like it was worse. So I looked up more symptoms and one I saw was peripheral vision loss. Now wherever I am I'm constantly checking to see if I see better and it's so bad I can see my eyelashes and my cheeks and feel like my vision is closing in on me and I have the disease. Any tips I'm really scared

Fishmanpa
01-06-16, 21:53
You had posted that you were going to be seeing a therapist. Have you started yet?

Positive thoughts

DrG00GLE
02-06-16, 01:09
Yes just the days leading to an appointment really suck

Fishmanpa
02-06-16, 01:25
What's something you learned in therapy that could help you overcome this very irrational fear?

Positive thoughts

DrG00GLE
02-06-16, 12:26
I've never been to therapy before the only thing that makes me feel better is hiding in the covers so I can't see my peripheral at all but of course I can't do that all the time

Fishmanpa
02-06-16, 12:41
I guess I'm confused. I asked if you had started going and you said "Yes just the days leading to an appointment really suck" implying you were between appointments. Ok then... What date is the actual first appointment?

Positive thoughts

countrygirl
02-06-16, 19:12
This condition is an inherited one if I remember correctly so you would have family members with it which I assume you do not.
Whilst its very easy for you to be reassured about this, any optician could do this at an eye test you will just transfer your fear to another disease that you may have come across.
Def keep your therapy appts and be honest with the therapist, I wish I had had the chance of therapy when I was your age because then HA would probably not have had such a huge impact on my life.

DrG00GLE
02-06-16, 21:19
Sorry, read the question wrong. Real answer is no I haven't but I will be soon. And yeah I'm going to therapist. Also thanks guys, reassured a little though at school I had to run a mile and that burnt the memory out of my mind for a little. :)