PDA

View Full Version : Quetiapine 25mg for anxiety. Anyone had any success?

Tardisbrain
02-06-16, 17:40
Hi would just like to know if anyone has had any success with anxiety on 25mg of quetiapine for anxiety? I've just started last night and would like to know if they take time to work and if so how long? Also if there are any side effects when will they kick in and for how long?

Any help would be appreciated

I've also been on fluoxitine 20mg for 9 weeks with hardly no benefits.

---------- Post added at 13:48 ---------- Previous post was at 13:29 ----------

Ps and is it OK to take a paracetamol with these. I have a banging sore head.

---------- Post added at 17:40 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

Can someone give me a little reassurance please. I've only taken my 1st 2tmg last night and today I feel more weird than usual and also a little faint. Is this normal?

MyNameIsTerry
03-06-16, 04:44
There are no interactions with paracetamol on Drugs.com so you should be fine.

Like antidepressants, antipsychotics come with a load of possible side effects. These will be listed in the Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) in the box or can be found online on professional sources like Drugs.com.

I've never been on them but there are people around here who have like Lan69, Tristan, etc so it will be worth looking at their threads until they see yours.

Tardisbrain
03-06-16, 09:51
Thanks

Lan69
03-06-16, 10:02
Hi I've been taking quetiapine since October. I was on 200mg but I have reduced down to just 25mg and take it at bedtime. I will be coming off it completely.
It didn't do what it was supposed to do for me anyway but everyone is different
Hope that helps

Tardisbrain
03-06-16, 10:15
Thanks lana, did it not help at all? I'm on 25mg started wed night and yesterday I was feeling a bit weird and faint. I'm hoping it's just side effects and that they pass x

Lan69
03-06-16, 10:29
I was led to believe it would work within days and my anxiety would be gone but that didn't happen all I had was a huge weight gain. It did make me feel a bit dizzy and sedated but I didn't like that feeling
It has worked for others tho

---------- Post added at 10:29 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

There are no interactions with paracetamol on Drugs.com so you should be fine.

Like antidepressants, antipsychotics come with a load of possible side effects. These will be listed in the Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) in the box or can be found online on professional sources like Drugs.com.

I've never been on them but there are people around here who have like Lan69, Tristan, etc so it will be worth looking at their threads until they see yours.

Terry do you know how long it takes for quetiapine to leave you system ?
I have been reducing by 25mg for 4 weeks at a time and have got down to just taking 25mg at night now

Tims
05-06-16, 02:14
Hi lan69
Seroquel just knocks me out when I take it in the evening, it seems to almost prevent you're brain from getting into any deep thought. I can definitely understand how it would be very helpful for severe anxiety as it seems to almost put your brain in a kind of temporary standby mode.

Tims

Tardisbrain
05-06-16, 10:19
Hi tims, it was me who needed some help haha. Did you have any side effects when you started them and if so what and how long did they last. Also how long did it take for them to start working for mood?

Tims
05-06-16, 23:47
Hey Tardisbrain
I fortunately haven't had any real issues with Seroquel, but then I'm not taking high doses having only been up to 75 mg, my usual dose is only 25mg. Seroquel works pretty fast for sedation, within an hour for me. As for mood in general I noticed improvement within a week. I think it's a good drug overall, I wouldn't worry about all the negativity online, there is about every drug.
Tims

MyNameIsTerry
06-06-16, 05:16
Terry do you know how long it takes for quetiapine to leave you system ? I have been reducing by 25mg for 4 weeks at a time and have got down to just taking 25mg at night now

It's a short half life drug so 7 hours for the parent compound and 9-12 hours for the active metabolite.

If you used the standard pharmacokinetic calculation as a guide it would be 5x the half life to get to <5% (clinically insignificant) and 7x for 100% elimination.

So,

5 x 7 = 35 hours
7 x 7 = 49 hours

The active metabolite will be weaker but its not far behind in elimination. After those periods, your med would be adjusted to the new dosage in your blood plasma. Once you take your final dose, it will just then eliminate from there until you are completely free of it but the same rules apply to the timescales.

Tardisbrain
06-06-16, 12:30
Hi Terry are you able to work out how long it would take it to reach therapeutic dose? I am on 25 mg at night for anxiety. If not its no problem, you just seem really clued up on this stuff. Thanks

MyNameIsTerry
07-06-16, 06:27
Hi TardisBrain,

It should reach it's steady-state, when it becomes stable at it's dosage, within 2 days.

Tardisbrain
07-06-16, 08:15
Thanks terry, I think I'm having a wee bit improvement...I'm not sure. Have a nice day

MyNameIsTerry
07-06-16, 08:23
:yesyes::yahoo:

Always good to hear!

Lan69
08-06-16, 13:01
It's a short half life drug so 7 hours for the parent compound and 9-12 hours for the active metabolite.

If you used the standard pharmacokinetic calculation as a guide it would be 5x the half life to get to <5% (clinically insignificant) and 7x for 100% elimination.

So,

5 x 7 = 35 hours
7 x 7 = 49 hours

The active metabolite will be weaker but its not far behind in elimination. After those periods, your med would be adjusted to the new dosage in your blood plasma. Once you take your final dose, it will just then eliminate from there until you are completely free of it but the same rules apply to the timescales.

Thank you Terry
I have been on 25mg for just over a week now and I still find I'm sleeping ok. I just have to decide when to take the jump and stop taking it!

shiznit76
14-06-16, 12:26
OP, are you on it every day or is it as and when needed?

Neutralview
04-10-16, 01:54
At what dose exactly is Seroquel sedating?? Is it sedating at lower doses(25-50mg) or at higher doses (200-300mg)??

dale12345
04-10-16, 02:22
I take 200 hs plus 3 50mgs up to 3 a day prn, it does help with anxiety.