PDA

View Full Version : Propranolol (AKA BetaBlockers)

DPW16
02-06-16, 16:23
Hi everyone,

I went to the Doctors yesterday to talk about my re occurring panic attacks / anxiety.

I told the Doctor I want something in which will rid me of the shortness of breath feeling (as this is what normally leads me to a panic attack).

He prescribed me Propranolol.

Have any of you ever had this and has it worked?.

I'm not into medication but thought this could be a good solution if I'm having a bad day.

Many Thanks

ankietyjoe
02-06-16, 20:30
As far as I'm aware it won't have any effect on shortness of breath (although I could be wrong).

I took them for a little while a few years ago, they're specifically to stop your heart racing too fast when prescribed for anxiety.

The most effective thing I've found for dealing with shortness of breath is to try and not think about it. Which ain't easy!

dally
02-06-16, 21:40
Hi
I take propanol 10_20 mgs as required. For panic attacks.
I don't they can and take the edge of the panic.
My GP wants me to take 3 x 40 mg per day as he says that is the most effective dose for anxiety.
But I have a fear of taking meds so just take as required.

One contraindication is if you have asthma, as beta propanol can worsen this problem.
However, there are other beta blockers that can be used instead.

If it is anxiety that is causing your breathlessness due to too much adrenaline (which makes you hyperventilate to increase oxygen to your muscles so they can prepare to fight or flight)
Then propanalol will block excessive production of adrenaline and help reduce your anxiety.\breathlessness.

Also practice slow deep breathing in through nose out through mouth. count of 4 in\ 8 out
And extend the number as your relax. Sent force it .

ankietyjoe
02-06-16, 22:52
Beta blockers don't stop the production of adrenaline. They reduce some of the effects of adrenaline.

venusbluejeans
04-06-16, 00:33
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.