PDA

View Full Version : A positive Drs Appt

venusbluejeans
03-06-16, 21:48
I went to the Drs Today for a medication review….. I take 40mg Citalopram.

To me this appointment was a refreshing change to ones I have had before, I changed GP practices last year due to a few issues I had with the old practice.

Number one she didn’t speak to me like a child mainly because she knew I had quite a bit of knowledge of anxiety and panic etc. (mainly because of admining NMP) so knew that I knew what she and I were on about.

I am in no way an advocate for medication and I tried a lot of times without…….. I have had anxiety and panic attacks on and off since I was 16 and now I am nearing 40!! I wish I didn’t have to use the Medication but I do and it helps an awful lot.

Dr Steele used the term ‘chronic anxiety’ and flare ups of anxiety when under stress etc. I had never thought about until that point, but when I thought about it then I realised yes that term probably did apply to me.

We spoke about reducing my dose of citalopram but came to the conclusion that to give it another 3 months and then try to reduce……. My Uncle has recently passed away and I am about to start a 3rd job next week so the present time may not be the correct time.

I have always been told at my old practice that I can’t stay on the meds long term but my Dr said to me “we wouldn’t stop giving someone with chronic blood pressure problems the meds they need so I don’t see why you should stop giving medication to people with chronic anxiety when they have the chemical imbalance in their brains” she then went on to say that the medical ‘powers that be’ are now actually beginning seeing that too.

The plan for me at the moment is to reduce to 30mg in about 3 months and then in another 3 months after that reduce to 20mg and then after another 3 months reduce to 10mg………. and then if needed stay on that 10mg for the rest of my life…….. Upping and reducing the dose as needed…….. if I stay on the 10mg then theoretically I don’t get the start-up side effects so bad when I do up the dose when I have a ‘flare up’

It was great to have a Dr who totally understood where I was coming from and who did understand anxiety completely….. I don’t really like taking the medication and wish that I could beat my ‘chronic anxiety’ without it…… but do have lots of strategies to deal with it along with the meds which will be used to combat any flare up as well as upping the dose but touch wood at the minute apart from a few small hiccups I am anxiety free and loving life.

When you get a great dr who understands you…… stick with them :) :flowers::flowers:

Thank you for listening to my ramblings...
Emmz xxx

venusbluejeans
04-06-16, 22:23
Thank you for listening to my ramblings...

Well it appears no one did!! Time to stick with the adminning NMP rather than posting my positive experiences, given up with that now no one wants to hear it :roflmao:

nomorepanic
04-06-16, 22:26
I was listening, as you know, Emmz - you are doing so well at the moment too so keep at it and keep being well and being you xxx

venusbluejeans
04-06-16, 22:27
Thank you Nic :) xxxxx

Moley
04-06-16, 22:39
sorry that u didn't get any response. I have only just seen ur post and am so pleased to here about ur experience its good to hear that there are good docs out there. its also good to here that things can get better so pleased things are good for u.

pollynewsome
05-06-16, 09:25
A really inspiring post.. Given us all hope and what a great doctor! Thank you for taking the time out to post. Much appreciated.

Pipkin
05-06-16, 12:55
Emmz,

Also listening! I agree completely. My last GP was wonderful and always gave me as much info as he could and then asked what I wanted to do. That's exactly the treatment I need as I don't do well when decisions are out of my hands. He also said to stay on meds as long as I needed to. I'm on Venlafaxine 150mg which is probably more or less equivalent to Cit at 40mg. I've thought about reducing but decided to stay put for a while.

I've now switched practices as I have moved and I've seen 2 GPs so far. They both just listened, agreed and left things as they are. One was quiet and seemed nice, the other was quite short and to the point but I don't mind that. I went last time as I have a mole which has grown. She said it was ok for now but if it got any bigger, "we'll soon have that off". I'm hoping she was talking about the mole and not my leg. No messing about!

There are so many good doctors out there but we only seem to hear about the minority of poor ones. One thing's for sure, it's not a job I would want!

Pip xx

swgrl09
05-06-16, 14:09
That's an interesting approach .. maintaining a low dose on an ongoing basis to avoid start-up effects and adjusting if necessary. I have been thinking about my own future with escitalopram because although I can function without, life is so much better on the med. It really reduces my obsessive thoughts a lot and I feel almost (almost!!) like a "normal" person. I wonder if that is something to consider for myself.

I am glad you got a positive experience with a really thoughtful doctor. Glad to hear you are doing well and I am really sorry about your uncle :hugs:

Sunflower2
05-06-16, 18:39
I wish more people had positive experiences like this! My old doctor was a lot like yours, ive had a lot of support at bad times and it made all the difference! I must have spoken to him once a week at one point because my anxiety got so bad. I owe my recovery in anxiety a lot to him! We hear far too much about people seeing doctors who belittle them and don't take them seriously so I hope your story might help others get help too.

Elen
05-06-16, 19:27
Just back home Emmz, great to hear.

I really don't understand it when people look at meds as always being a short term thing.

This approach sounds much more sensible, and also it means that there is no pressure on you to feel that you ought to be coming off.

This new doctor sounds like a keeper.

Magic
05-06-16, 20:08
So happy for you. getting a GP who understands venus
Take care:hugs: x