PDA

View Full Version : Called in sick to work - worried I'm gonna get fired

oscar1
04-06-16, 16:32
So today I called in sick to work at my new job. Ive worked there for 3 weeks and i feel really really guilty but i didn't sleep at all last night because anxiety and panic attacks and the idea of travelling in to work and being there for 10 hours filled me with so much dread that I just couldn't do it. I told the truth as to why I was calling sick and I had already told my manager that I was struggling with my anxiety at the moment. But I'm still in my probationary period and Im really worried that they will fire me when I go back on monday.

Noivous
04-06-16, 17:17
What did he say?

oscar1
04-06-16, 17:22
Well when I spoke to my manager at the start to explain about my anxiety and panic she was very sympathetic and she seemed understanding enough, but this morning no one answered the phone so I left a message.

23fish
04-06-16, 17:27
They can't sack you for one day off. Have you seen a doctor? Is your anxiety related to the job? Your manager will appreciate your honesty and has a duty to look out for you, so hopefully will take your anxiety into account when you go back and support you. 10 hours is a long shift!

oscar1
04-06-16, 17:36
Ive seen my doctor earlier in the week and I've started taking citalopram again, after about a year off them. Ive had a run of bad luck over the last few months and i told my manager what had happened, i didn't want to keep pretending everything is fine when I'm really struggling. My anxiety is not really related to my job, I've had it for years, but its been made a lot worse by starting a new job.

23fish
04-06-16, 18:56
Hopefully the Citalopram will kick in soon. In the meantime you need to look after yourself. I'm sure your manager would rather have you well than struggling x

elibabez
07-06-16, 02:05
So today I called in sick to work at my new job. Ive worked there for 3 weeks and i feel really really guilty but i didn't sleep at all last night because anxiety and panic attacks and the idea of travelling in to work and being there for 10 hours filled me with so much dread that I just couldn't do it. I told the truth as to why I was calling sick and I had already told my manager that I was struggling with my anxiety at the moment. But I'm still in my probationary period and Im really worried that they will fire me when I go back on monday.

I am on my probationary/ trial period too
totally see where your coming from

---------- Post added at 02:05 ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 ----------

Well when I spoke to my manager at the start to explain about my anxiety and panic she was very sympathetic and she seemed understanding enough, but this morning no one answered the phone so I left a message.

You are lucky, my manager and deputy manager when i mention anxiety, they just say `its okay but you dont need to repeat things`

like totally ignoring or mis-understanding what anxiety is! :mad: :mad: