PDA

View Full Version : Is Claire Weekes really the cure that the mental health establishment missed?

Ryukil
04-06-16, 19:01
I've been told by doctor that anxiety disorders are incurable...however I've spoken to many who have recovered using Claire Weekes.

Gotagetthroughthis
04-06-16, 19:21
Recovered and cured are two different things.

Not sure why your doctor has told you that though. An anxiety disorder and anxiety are emotions so no you cannot ever get rid of them but you can certainly get your anxiety back down to normal levels which could be classed as recovered.

Ryukil
04-06-16, 19:22
They say that anxiety disorders can only be managed, never cured. I.e., you can never get to the point where you no longer have inappropriate anxiety.

Mojo61
04-06-16, 20:12
Anxiety is natural, everyone gets it. Life throws us lemons all the time but it is how you respond to those lemons that determines if they adversely affect your life or not. So in a way the doctors are right, but it is possible to manage your anxiety just like all the other human beings on the planet, and to get to the stage where it no longer concerns you and you can deal with it in a balanced and appropriate manner. I think that is what we would all wish to aspire to.

NoPoet
04-06-16, 21:15
Anyone who says anxiety and depression are incurable are talking b******s. They can be very hard to treat if you don't understand them. Recovery can take a long time. It can be frustrating and there are numerous setbacks. That's not the same as incurable. Even bipolar disorder and schizophrenia can be cured (i.e. go into permanent remission).

Mojo61
04-06-16, 21:19
Well said Adam!

ankietyjoe
05-06-16, 00:05
There is profit in treatments.

There is less profit in cures.

Especially when the cures are often patient led.

MyNameIsTerry
05-06-16, 00:22
Nope. Many of the things I've seen said about Weekes are flawed anyway. A lot of what she says was already known. I see her work as more of a road map and the biggest achievement being getting it to the masses who couldn't access the therapy that already existed.

The simple reason why "the establishment" don't use her work is because medicine is built on ""evidence based treatment". They can't use it until it can be proven to work in real studies, not anecdotal evidence.

There is money to be made in cures as we have dubious "guru's" conning vulnerable people. Whilst it can be argued that drug companies don't want cures, the government sit above all these people and I'm pretty sure they would want all the money they are spending in funding mental health services which are underfunded anyway.

Can anxiety be cured? No, it's part of being human. Technically it can be through lesions or surgery in the right places. Can an "anxiety disorder" be reversed? Yes, science backs it up.

Anxiety Disorder is a condition. Anxiety isn't. The same with depression but you will find people saying depression is lifelong...my dad's has never come back in over 40 years.

What is the relevance to only Weekes though again?

---------- Post added at 00:22 ---------- Previous post was at 00:19 ----------

There is profit in treatments.

There is less profit in cures.

Especially when the cures are often patient led.

The simple answer is to prove it works. Many of these patient led ones are nothing new, it's just selling to make cash and some lie & mislead to make their profits. Some openly oppose trying to prove it and some have even made up fake studies.

Some are simply con artists.

ankietyjoe
05-06-16, 11:09
The simple answer is to prove it works. Many of these patient led ones are nothing new, it's just selling to make cash and some lie & mislead to make their profits. Some openly oppose trying to prove it and some have even made up fake studies.

Some are simply con artists.

There are many parallels with the weight loss industry in my observation.

There are myriad articles that tell people why they're overweight (only yesterday I read something that claimed people put on weight because of 'the wrong type of gut bacteria').

If you take away the onus on the patient, the patient becomes far more susceptible to an external treatment rather than looking inward and taking responsibility for their own recovery.

NoPoet
05-06-16, 17:19
Terry is right that anxiety cannot be cured. Anxiety in itself is an emotion. It's a protective mechanism. Negative emotions should not be dismissed altogether because they keep you alive and alert you when things are wrong. Some anxiety in life is normal.

Anxiety disorders are different - that's when the anxiety has taken over. This is what you can fix. The anxiety no longer controls your life. You are not cursed to suffer for the rest of your life the way you are now. Any "medical professional" who tells you otherwise is most likely underpaid, undermotivated, overworked and lacking in skill, imagination and talent. And truly skilled and motivated professional will tell you that you can be helped and you can recover. If people recover from schizophrenia (studies consistently show that 50% of patients diagnosed with schizophrenia will achieve total remission of all symptoms within 20 years), why on Earth wouldn't you be able to recover from something that boils down to bad thoughts? Do we suddenly lose our ability to control our own thoughts when anxiety disorder is diagnosed? Wow, MI6 and the CIA need to collude and turn this into a weapon to defeat any foe. Mind control!

Claire Weekes was the first person to go on record and say "You know what? You CAN get better, it doesn't matter what you've been through or what you've been told, you will recover one day if you work for it".