PDA

View Full Version : Bass music from neighbours causing panic attacks

llo
05-06-16, 16:43
Hi,

I see there have been threads on this subject before, but they are all dead, so I though i would start a new one.

My neighbour's teenage son likes to play music when his parents are out. They have a high quality sound system that generates a lot of bass and is situated next to the party wall. On several occasions the music has been extremely loud, and has caused panic attacks.

I'm not sure of the root cause, i have had problems with anxiety before, but not with a trigger such as this.

The music comes on once/twice a week, as soon as I hear it i become extremely angry at the rudeness and the invasion of boundaries. I then panic as i'm not sure what i should do about it, whether the noise is even unacceptable, what the neighbours might say when i challenge them etc.

I have approached the neighbours on several occasions who have said they will turn it down, but any improvement is short lived.

It's got to the point now where bass music at barely perceptible volumes is causing a strong stress reaction. I can tell the instant the music starts, but have to mute the TV to make sure, so it's obviously not at much volume.

I become anxious any time a car drives past my house with audible music (this happens a lot it's a busy road). I become anxious when i hear footsteps next door, doors closing, voices etc. as i fear those noises will be followed by the dull thud of bass music.

This is ruining my life.

I can wear earplugs, and closed back headphones to drown out the noise, but i have a wife and baby so this is not an ideal solution.

I have started to spend some time listening the binaural beat sounds to try and condition myself to low frequency sounds and this seems to have some positive effect in that i feel calm when the sound is playing as i know i'm safe from the neighbour noise, but if i hear music from the neighbours unexpectedly, i still panic.

What other treatment options are there? I feel that if i could reframe the problem, it would go away, but i am at a loss as to how to do this.

Fishmanpa
05-06-16, 23:50
I can only relate as to that bass sound... Rap music and vehicles that have sub-woofers and have that nasty vibration that rattles the walls creates the same visceral reaction in me as well. I have some misophonia and certain sounds trigger a negative reaction. Exposure has been the best method to treat it for me.

Positive thoughts

HalfJack
06-06-16, 00:22
I don't have any pearls of wisdom for you but if I see anything I'll make sure to pass it on. You're dealing with it really well, you're being so rational about it and that's awesome :)

Dealing with it rather than finding ways to avoid it is prob the best way to handle the issue but try not to be too hard on yourself.

Maybe it's not about the music and it's something like a lack of control, you mentioned something about invasion of boundaries?

Lexilou
06-06-16, 01:05
I had the same feelings with my neighbor. Thankfully they didn't trigger panic attacks, but I'd get so mad some days and just be in a rage over it. Tried talking to him, tried calling the police about it, nothing helped. It's just so rude and such an invasion into your home. In the end I just had to let it go. Nothing was going to change him and it was only making me worse. Karma helped out too, he's in jail for a bit.

llo
06-06-16, 18:44
I can only relate as to that bass sound... Rap music and vehicles that have sub-woofers and have that nasty vibration that rattles the walls creates the same visceral reaction in me as well. I have some misophonia and certain sounds trigger a negative reaction. Exposure has been the best method to treat it for me.

Positive thoughts

Thanks for your thoughts

Yes, it's the wall rattling thud thud thud sounds, as opposed to other loud musical sounds like singing/guitar/whatever.

I have the more common misophonia too; lip smacking/eating noises. The lip smacking stress reaction comes as goes as my general well being does, so if i'm well rested and in a good mood, it doesn't affect me so much.

However i'm currently going through a phase where my coworker's constant mouth-open chewing and bubblegum popping is only annoying (as opposed to enraging), but my reaction to the bass music is still extreme.

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

I had the same feelings with my neighbor. Thankfully they didn't trigger panic attacks, but I'd get so mad some days and just be in a rage over it. Tried talking to him, tried calling the police about it, nothing helped. It's just so rude and such an invasion into your home. In the end I just had to let it go. Nothing was going to change him and it was only making me worse. Karma helped out too, he's in jail for a bit.

This is sort of where I am with this.

My wife finds it rude and thinks the neighbour is a dick, but that's it. If I could treat myself somehow and achieve the same mentality, that would be great.

So I could try and write the neighbour off as an inconsiderate prick who will never understand the hell he is causing, and try and think of him as a fact of life like the weather; often annoying, but totally beyond my control. The danger with this is, if I stop complaining, it might get worse.

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

Maybe it's not about the music and it's something like a lack of control, you mentioned something about invasion of boundaries?

Could be. The neighbours also have a row of tall trees that block out all of my light in the evenings. This also plays on my mind a lot, although doesn't make me mad or panic as such. I have asked if they are going to trim them, and they are, but it worries me that if they don't, i don't have a great deal of comeback that isn't going to cause conflict.

almamatters
06-06-16, 19:30
You have my sympathy, i am suffering with the same problem, mine is due to loud talking and laughing coming from my neighbours house and also my husband insisting on having the TV on loud. I have starting panicking whenever I sense the noise from next door is going to start, can i add, they are nice people and not going out of their way to be noisy, we just have poor insulation in the house. I am discussing this at my CBT and have been advised that exposure is the way to beat this. My current strategy of avoidance is apparently feeding the problem in my mind. I hope you manage to find a way to deal with this.

MyNameIsTerry
07-06-16, 05:02
Noises used to be a problem for me too. I found it was very much like how light can be and the more you just move forward in your recovery, these seem to reduce. Fight or flight does sharpen senses too, so it makes sense.

The eating thing used to wind me up to but now it's just gone.

Your neighbours are expected to stick below certain noise levels or they can be prosecuted. Have you considered a formal route?

llo
27-08-16, 21:01
Just thought i'd give a bit of an update

I made an album of sounds/noises to play through earbuds when i'm at work, white noise, brown noise, loud foot steps, thuds etc. The white/brown noise clips are quite long, and good for drowning out general noise. The footstep etc. tracks are a much shorter play length and appear suddenly. Kind of simulating intermittent sounds from the neighbours.

I have seen something of an improvement. The eating noise from my coworker no longer sends me into a rage, which i consider to be a major win. At first this was because i was blocking noise from her with white noise which i had running constantly, but over time i've been able to reduce the volume of the white noise, and now often don't use it, until she starts doing something particularly annoying.

At home, i've downloaded a binaural tone generator which i play through some better closed-back bluetooth headphones, i set the pitch to about 25Hz, which seems a good match for the frequency of noise i find particularly upsetting. With this setup i can gain almost instant relief, which helps reduce the fear of the noise occuring. I know i have a reliable safety net.

I find the presence of immediate relief from the panic inducing sounds a great comfort. I know that of something starts to annoy me, i can drown it out instantly. Also, i think the extended exposure to low frequency noise is helping.

The final part of the solution is a bit more risque, but i have found it has helped greatly. As i said in my first post, part of the anxiety surrounds confronting the neighbours. I guess on some level i wonder are the purposely trying to upset me. In my minds eye the shared wall between us is some impenetrable barrier from behind which anxiety inducing sounds could occur at any moment, for any length of time. They hold all the aces and i've got to cower on this side of the wall with my headphones on.

So anyway i bought a cheap wall microphone so i can hear what is happening through the wall. This helps when the music is on, as this way i can hear the rest of the music, and not just the thud, thud, thud, of the bass. Being able to recognise it as loud music, as opposed to threatening noise, has been useful. But also what i can hear, is sounds of a regular family doing boring things and talking about mundane things. I can't make out what's being said, but it isn't about me and isn't aggressive in any way.

I still find the bass music upsetting, but not nearly as bad as before. I am now able to see it as a problem i can work on, as opposed to something which will destroy me

debs71
27-08-16, 22:46
That is really good, llo. I am glad you are finding some ways to tackle this and make life easier for yourself.

I do so sympathise. When my anxiety is high, I cannot tolerate any kind of background noise, such as builiding work in the neighbourhood (it has been hellish the last few years here...one neighbour finishes their loft conversion and the another opposite started theirs) or my neighbour's kids playing loudly. Sometimes even bird sounds.

Sounds can be torturous sometimes.

I find that when my anxiety reduces, so does my sensitivity, but even so I still can't abide much noise around me, even high volume on the TV.

I think it is great you are being so proactive about this and wish you continued success. :)

Bigboyuk
29-08-16, 17:29
I can empathise with that but even people with out any illness the loud music would bother me too and would if it continued report it to your local council :) Glad you are combating it though:)

Paul.B
29-08-16, 18:32
Noisy neighbours have definitely enhanced my anxiety to some degree.
The constant worry of the impending noise making it difficult to relax.
When you have a noisy neighbour all of a sudden every single noise they make that would not normally have bothered you starts to bother you. Almost like each noise is a prelude to the coming loud noise

llo
30-08-16, 21:04
Thanks to all for the encouragement.

I don't want to report them to the council, as they aren't being that loud for that long. It's properly loud for a few minutes a couple of times a week, and then all evening maybe five times a year. My reaction to it is just far stronger than is rational.

Paul B.

I know exactly what you are saying. Footsteps, a cough, a door closing, all could be a precursor to the dreaded "thud thud thud (skip track, skip track) thud thud thud thud"

This is where the wall mic. is helping, as i can hear other normal sounds as well and be reasonably sure that they aren't about to whack the stereo on loud for five hours.

---------- Post added at 21:04 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

Just to be clear, i'm well aware that bugging your neighbour's house is a bit off, but I was going out of my mind :)

andrew68
24-12-16, 19:30
Hi, I just joined. I'm suffering from a noisy neighbour too. I live in a flat above theirs and since February the drum and bass that they are "obsessed" with has added to my existing social anxiety.
I've been through the council, and Environmental Health caught evidence on a sound recorder in my flat then issuing an abatement notice. Even though I was told their was "enough evidence to go to court if necessary" it continues 10 months on.
The neighbour has also resorted to taunting me by shouting and turning the volume up down up down etc.
I've tried contacting the council but just get fobbed off. This morning I was woken at 4.30am by loud voices followed by loud music then the smell of weed fillibng my flat.

I feel so broken by all the extra stress.

randomforeigner
25-12-16, 06:12
I don't have any panic issues but hang here on this web board for other reasons, and I must say loud bass music from the neighbours is dreadful. I've had it multiple times in different flats, with different neighbours, and it is stressful.

At one occasion, with a neighbour shouting randomly at night (weird enough), we considered having a second isolated wall fitted against the bedroom wall toward his flat, where it faced his living room (unfortunately). A double wall. But the problem disappeared after some months so there was need to pursue the wall project. I guess that is why people dream of having their own house, or to live in a flat at the top floor.

---------- Post added at 07:12 ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 ----------

The smell of weed? You haven't thought of trying to switch to another neighbourhood, have you? With a new-born baby, and all that? What kind of neighbourhood is it, for small toddlers, anyway? In my mind, I now get pictures of run-down derelict areas where people sell crack on the street corners at night.

Bigboyuk
25-12-16, 10:12
Hi, I just joined. I'm suffering from a noisy neighbour too. I live in a flat above theirs and since February the drum and bass that they are "obsessed" with has added to my existing social anxiety.
I've been through the council, and Environmental Health caught evidence on a sound recorder in my flat then issuing an abatement notice. Even though I was told their was "enough evidence to go to court if necessary" it continues 10 months on.
The neighbour has also resorted to taunting me by shouting and turning the volume up down up down etc.
I've tried contacting the council but just get fobbed off. This morning I was woken at 4.30am by loud voices followed by loud music then the smell of weed fillibng my flat.

I feel so broken by all the extra stress.Hi Andy I replied to your other thread regarding this and see recording equipment was placed in your flat(after reading this thread) and a notice was issued for the noise to stop 10 months on and it's still happening This sucks my friend. Have you been to the CAB (Citizens Advice)
What's the council's excuse regarding this?? And as it's in a block of flats there surely are other neighbours who have had enough? As for the drugs why not simply call the police you don't need to give a name I feel your pain it must be hell for you Cheers

andrew68
25-12-16, 12:30
Thanks for replying. Yesterday the bass throbbing went on in my bedroom area from 4.30pm to 11pm [I wanted to go to bed at 9 btw] So fed up at 10.30ish I sent email complaint to enviromental Health. The excuse the council gave recently was that as I hadn't complained recently the case had been closed - the neighbour went on holiday for 7 weeks so of course there was no noise. Anyway, I have a full accurate log of all disturbances so will add that all to the re-opening of the case. As far as I am concerned, the noise abatement is in place and I expect the authorities to make sure it is adhered to.
Best wishes to everyone....

Bigboyuk
26-12-16, 09:55
Thanks for replying. Yesterday the bass throbbing went on in my bedroom area from 4.30pm to 11pm [I wanted to go to bed at 9 btw] So fed up at 10.30ish I sent email complaint to enviromental Health. The excuse the council gave recently was that as I hadn't complained recently the case had been closed - the neighbour went on holiday for 7 weeks so of course there was no noise. Anyway, I have a full accurate log of all disturbances so will add that all to the re-opening of the case. As far as I am concerned, the noise abatement is in place and I expect the authorities to make sure it is adhered to.
Best wishes to everyone.... It's :cool: The fact is you do have a accurate log and up to date one at that should go in your favour :) And good positive thinking at the end of your post re the obligation from the council to do something about it! Let us know how it goes! Cheers

andrew68
21-02-17, 19:55
So, it was a difficult over Christmas and Environmental Health have again warned the noisy neighbour with a "strongly worded letter." Sadly, it still re-occurs. Not quite as bad, but last night I was woken by music starting at quarter to 12. Fortunately only 20 mins, but even so... Leaves me on edge, and I feel very nervous tonight.

andrew68
28-02-17, 15:39
Sunday night awake from 11.57 to gone 6.30am as neighbours decided to play music and make a noise ALL night. Still haven't slept properly as I can't relax even though I'm exhausted.

Bigboyuk
06-03-17, 10:24
Same old still happening I see Andy, I am sorry to hear this, it's ok keep sending strong worded letters to the offending ppl, but clearly it's not been taken seriously. Is the recording equipment still in place. Did it go quiet for a bit, hence you haven't been on for a while? Cheers

andrew68
11-06-17, 15:01
I'm back. Sorry really lost my way over the last couple of months. Things quietened down a little, but disruptions still occur. I had noise recorder back but was unable to capture much of use. Last night neighbour decided to thump music out of their car in the driveway under my bedroom window until 11pm then come in and fill the place with the smell of weed. Really struggling with this again.

Bigboyuk
11-06-17, 15:44
I'm back. Sorry really lost my way over the last couple of months. Things quietened down a little, but disruptions still occur. I had noise recorder back but was unable to capture much of use. Last night neighbour decided to thump music out of their car in the driveway under my bedroom window until 11pm then come in and fill the place with the smell of weed. Really struggling with this again. Hi Andrew Do the authorites know about the weed thing going on as I would suspect this person gets ppl knocking at his door at all times of the night. Like I said before keep a written log of every incident how ever small as I feel it will continue and it's not doing you any favours is it?! Cheers

andrew68
11-06-17, 16:12
Hi Andrew Do the authorites know about the weed thing going on as I would suspect this person gets ppl knocking at his door at all times of the night. Like I said before keep a written log of every incident how ever small as I feel it will continue and it's not doing you any favours is it?! Cheers
Hi. Yes, it's been made clear to them on more than the one occassion, but I genuinely feel they can't be bothered to act. My doctor wrote to the council which resulted in them calling em and offering to help get me moved someweher else. Becuase of my anxiety issues, I need to be here where the rest of my family are close by (a minute away at most), so that isn't an option. They then said they would speak to Environmental Health and that was the last I heard, back at the start of April :weep:

KK77
11-06-17, 17:46
Hi. Yes, it's been made clear to them on more than the one occassion, but I genuinely feel they can't be bothered to act. My doctor wrote to the council which resulted in them calling em and offering to help get me moved someweher else. Becuase of my anxiety issues, I need to be here where the rest of my family are close by (a minute away at most), so that isn't an option. They then said they would speak to Environmental Health and that was the last I heard, back at the start of April :weep:

I know your anxiety might get in the way right now but chase them up Andrew. You shouldn't have to, I know, however, things don't always get sorted out without some firm action. Don't let it fester and ruin your health even more. If anyone needs to be moved it's your disruptive neighbour, and if the council bears down on them, perhaps threatening eviction or court action, they will be more considerate in their behaviour and antisocial ways.

Bigboyuk
11-06-17, 21:47
KK is right you need to contact the council tomorrow and raise a complaint about the way it hasn't been resolved. If it was me I would be on the council's back until something is done about it it can not continue :)

Bike Rider
13-06-17, 10:39
Try your local MP, we had an issue over a street name, council did nothing but blather on and on, so contacted our local MP.

Problem solved following week.

Mental health is now a big issue with the likes of Royalty getting involved, tell your MP about it they are always after pats on the back.

andrew68
13-06-17, 13:33
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I should chase this up. Things have been quieter but I have the kind of neighbour that goes quiet for periods and then explodes again - this makes it harder to catch the noise as you don't know when it will happen [but it always does] and I also think the council take the attitude if it isn't everyday, then it can't be much of a problem.

I have actually used my MP before to force the council into action over a different matter, and that has always been on my list of options. I also want to talk to citizens advice about this. I guess I just put too much faith in Environmental Health and the council to actually do what they are supposed to.

Bigboyuk
13-06-17, 16:42
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I should chase this up. Things have been quieter but I have the kind of neighbour that goes quiet for periods and then explodes again - this makes it harder to catch the noise as you don't know when it will happen [but it always does] and I also think the council take the attitude if it isn't everyday, then it can't be much of a problem.

I have actually used my MP before to force the council into action over a different matter, and that has always been on my list of options. I also want to talk to citizens advice about this. I guess I just put too much faith in Environmental Health and the council to actually do what they are supposed to. Hi Andy you do have a list of options right! On the other matter did the council not really help then you got your MP involved I take it that matter was resolved? If it was then you know what to do :) Seek help from your MP :) Good luck let us know how it goes Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
13-06-17, 16:52
I agree with the others, Andrew. This isn't acceptable and I thought anti social behaviour was important? They blather on about stopping it enough.

Moving you is punishing you. Moving them is just punishing the next neighbour who has to put up with them. They are the problem to deal with and the council need to grow a pair and sort it out.

Leaning on them via someone more senior, or more public (they will snap to attention if their PR officer gets a call from a journalist...private companies certainly do), so your MP seems a good move.

I know it's not a police issue but the community police teams deal with anti social behaviour and from what I see of mine, they seem to deal with things the police would previously have refused to. I wonder if they can help?

andrew68
06-07-17, 20:25
Thanks again for the replies here. Things still relatively quiet here at the moment, just need to deal with the remaining anxiety.

Bigboyuk
13-11-17, 13:16
So How are things now?

andrew68
17-11-17, 12:12
I haven't been here for a while. Things were relatively quieter after my GP wrote to the council. However....
Last weekend noisy neighbour told me they are having friends around Friday [tonight] and "needs to test some sound equipment*" I reminded them that they had to keep it respectable, which they said they would. [*this is bull, just an excuse to play loud music]

Due to the anxiety I decided to call Environmental Health, inform them and ask for advice. They called back and basically told me everything I already know.
I expect there to be problems tonight as it is in the neighbours character to not give a toss about anyone else. If that happens [and I survive the anxiety] I intend to make the usual report to Enviromental Health, and also inform them that I will be seeking advice from Citizens Advice and contacting my local MP as the situation is still not being adequately dealt with.

Bigboyuk
20-11-17, 09:36
I haven't been here for a while. Things were relatively quieter after my GP wrote to the council. However....
Last weekend noisy neighbour told me they are having friends around Friday [tonight] and "needs to test some sound equipment*" I reminded them that they had to keep it respectable, which they said they would. [*this is bull, just an excuse to play loud music]

Due to the anxiety I decided to call Environmental Health, inform them and ask for advice. They called back and basically told me everything I already know.
I expect there to be problems tonight as it is in the neighbours character to not give a toss about anyone else. If that happens [and I survive the anxiety] I intend to make the usual report to Enviromental Health, and also inform them that I will be seeking advice from Citizens Advice and contacting my local MP as the situation is still not being adequately dealt with.Hi Andy How did it go on Friday? I would say those 2 options must be explored
if the noise got really out of hand as the council don't seem to be doing much let us know how you get on. ATB

andrew68
20-11-17, 19:54
Thanks for your interest. As it turned out, it would appear that the neighbour didn't have this get together at all. However, things weren't without incident. The morning started withe the woman who lives there shouting and talking extremely loudly to her new boyfriend and being very foul mouthed as is the norm. Music throughout the afternoon was low but vibrations and were noticable and irritating. It got more apparent as the evening wore on, not because of the volume but the bass/sub-bass vibrations which were still going on when I went to bed at around 11.30pm.
At 4.35am I was woken by the bass droning at a louder level than it had been all day right below my bedroom. I finally managed to get back to sleep after 5.30am. When I got up in the morning the music could still be heard playing although very faintly.
Part of the problem is, even when the voulme is low, the bass is still vibrating, droning and tedious as it can go on for hours which is really draining on my patience.

andrew68
22-02-18, 15:10
So here I am again, 2 years on from the beginning. Now this Sunday noisy neighbour announces her birthday, tells me shes having friends around and we are welcome to attend. As if. She doesn't want me there anymore than I want to go. It's just following the ploy of if you are going to cause a disturbance with a loud party, invite your neighbour in attempt to diffuse any problems.

I reminded her she need to keep it "respectable" but as last year we were kept awake from midnight to 8.30 in the morning I have no trust in that being heeded. I'm currently in a very bad agitated state, only 3 hours sleep last night and feel like a massive panic is coming on.

At 9 this morning I called the Enviro Health officer dealing with my case, but only got answerfone. I left a message but had no call back as yet.

Bigboyuk
22-02-18, 16:41
HI Andrew sorry to hear its not been resolved as yet 2 pigging years would have drove me to dispare get a pettion going in and around neighbouring flats houses Also time to really speak to your mp about this Hope you do make it clear enough is now enough :) ATB...

andrew68
23-02-18, 17:42
HI Andrew sorry to hear its not been resolved as yet 2 pigging years would have drove me to dispare get a pettion going in and around neighbouring flats houses Also time to really speak to your mp about this Hope you do make it clear enough is now enough :) ATB...

Thank you! Spoke to the officer involved today, basically he said it was too late to really do anything. To be fair he was nice enough, listened and accepted to what I had to say, but obviously of no help at all. I'm just gonna let this happen, and deal with any fall-out on Monday - hopefully it won't be as bad as last year, but if it is I'm going to citizens advice first thing, calling the housing officer, reporting to environmental health and then contacting my local MP.

Bigboyuk
23-02-18, 19:37
Thank you! Spoke to the officer involved today, basically he said it was too late to really do anything. To be fair he was nice enough, listened and accepted to what I had to say, but obviously of no help at all. I'm just gonna let this happen, and deal with any fall-out on Monday - hopefully it won't be as bad as last year, but if it is I'm going to citizens advice first thing, calling the housing officer, reporting to environmental health and then contacting my local MP. It's np Andy :) You say too late to do anything as in because its taking place this week end? It's one thing to be nice and listen to you, but seems like you have a plan of action in place, follow it through and let us know how you get on ATB

andrew68
23-02-18, 20:17
It's np Andy :) You say too late to do anything as in because its taking place this week end? It's one thing to be nice and listen to you, but seems like you have a plan of action in place, follow it through and let us know how you get on ATB

Yes, because it's this Sunday and I only found out about it Wednesday evening it's too late to put a recorder in place. EnvHealth are available until 10pm Sunday, but previous experience suggest things won't kick off until after then.

Annoyingly I thought a few weeks ago about asking for a recorder for this weekend, but talked myself out of it as I didn't want to come across as paranoid to Env Health. Oh well, stupid me :)

Bigboyuk
23-02-18, 20:44
Yes, because it's this Sunday and I only found out about it Wednesday evening it's too late to put a recorder in place. EnvHealth are available until 10pm Sunday, but previous experience suggest things won't kick off until after then.

Annoyingly I thought a few weeks ago about asking for a recorder for this weekend, but talked myself out of it as I didn't want to come across as paranoid to Env Health. Oh well, stupid me :) Hmm well tbh you aren't being paranoid its not the first time there has been noise from them or the last, lesson learned eh ;) could you hire a recorder and good quality mike from some where it may help your case some what:yesyes: ATB

andrew68
28-02-18, 17:15
Well, after all that almost nothing happened. Neighbour went out until around 21.15 and came home alone, so the proposed gathering never happened. There was music, and the bass got annoying but nothing I was too worried about and it ended by 23.30.

This is the second time I was told to expect something and it didn't occur. The last time it happened a week later than scheduled, so already my stupid anxiety is saying " maybe this weekend..."

Anyhow, thanks for all your support. Very much appreciated.

Bigboyuk
28-02-18, 19:35
If its bothering you when its going to happen again get some recording equipment in you now have all the answers at your disposal use them!! ATB

andrew68
01-05-18, 16:23
If its bothering you when its going to happen again get some recording equipment in you now have all the answers at your disposal use them!! ATB

Thanks. It's been as quiet as I could hope recently. Until today.
Noisy neighbour knocks door at 12.30PM and says " got an unexpected call, will be playing music for half an hour tonight..." Ok, I could refuse, but don't have a problem with half an hour and as it has been bareable lately I agreed.

Immediately I closed the door the music starts, loud. Louder. Louder still. I bang on the floor. No change. Music still thumping and vibrating at a stupid level. I had enough and foned Env Health. Surprisingly I got through to the officer in charge of the case and after a discussion he agreed to attend. However, as he was expected elsewhere wasn't sure would not be there til sometime after 2pm.

I had been trying to do some paperwork but just couldn't concentrate. I was so agitated I left home and went to my sisters [she had to give me a brandy to help calm my nerves.] I came home two hours later [15.20] and it's quiet, but I don't know if the officer has even called yet.

Fortunately I did have a microphone hooked up, and recorded the noise. The bass has been captured quite well, although the other ranges didn't come across. But at least there is something. If she still goes ahead with her "half an hour" later tonight I will report it. After this any agreement I made is obviously now rescinded. :mad:

EDIT: Just as I post it looks EnvHealth turn up over 3 hours later. All quiet of course. It was only next door for about 3 minutes tops.

Bigboyuk
01-05-18, 19:15
Thanks. It's been as quiet as I could hope recently. Until today.
Noisy neighbour knocks door at 12.30PM and says " got an unexpected call, will be playing music for half an hour tonight..." Ok, I could refuse, but don't have a problem with half an hour and as it has been bareable lately I agreed.

Immediately I closed the door the music starts, loud. Louder. Louder still. I bang on the floor. No change. Music still thumping and vibrating at a stupid level. I had enough and foned Env Health. Surprisingly I got through to the officer in charge of the case and after a discussion he agreed to attend. However, as he was expected elsewhere wasn't sure would not be there til sometime after 2pm.

I had been trying to do some paperwork but just couldn't concentrate. I was so agitated I left home and went to my sisters [she had to give me a brandy to help calm my nerves.] I came home two hours later [15.20] and it's quiet, but I don't know if the officer has even called yet.

Fortunately I did have a microphone hooked up, and recorded the noise. The bass has been captured quite well, although the other ranges didn't come across. But at least there is something. If she still goes ahead with her "half an hour" later tonight I will report it. After this any agreement I made is obviously now rescinded. :mad:

EDIT: Just as I post it looks EnvHealth turn up over 3 hours later. All quiet of course. It was only next door for about 3 minutes tops.Hi It doesn't seem to be getting any better are they on the same floor as you? Enviromental Health should now be taking action it's ridiculous mate your nerves are bad through it get letters from your dr and local mp and other neighbours who may live nearer to the noise you have to do something it does sound like the people involved are 'breaking' their tenancy aggrement did you play back the recording to the EH officer? ATB

andrew68
02-05-18, 12:23
Thanks for your continued support. EH officer didn't call in to me [to be fair I told him I had to leave the flat to get away from it] but hasn't called me back as of yet.
My GP wrote to the council a year ago, they called me and said they would "sort it out with Env Health." When I spoke to the EH in January, they hadn't heard anything from them.

Neighbour lives directly below me - our homes are better described as a maisonette, 4 individual flats in a semi detached building. Obviously the wall between the neighbours to our right hand side offers a fair bit of insulation against the noise, but the rooms upstairs and the flat directly below obviously has no such barrier. EH suggested maybe poor sound insulation is the problem, which is partly true - but the building isn't going to change so the behaviour should!

When the Abatement Notice was issued, the Env Health told me it was a clear breach of tenancy agreement. In more than 2 years, yesterday was the first time anyone actually attended the property after a complaint. 3hrs 15ms toom late.

Bigboyuk
02-05-18, 12:55
Hi Andrew It's np :) Ok do you have a copy of the Abatement Notice if not request a copy.
If Env Health said it was a 'clear' breach of tenancy agreement then why the hold up? I know these things can drag on a bit but clearly they aren't doing sod all. it should be all sorted by 2 years now tbh. Eviction must now happen get solicitor on the case its the only way now :) ATB

andrew68
27-09-19, 23:36
Well, here I am again. I've been having a really hard time over the past few months. Neighbours music not so much the problem, but it just seems to have turned to into a mix of anti-social behaviour and what I can only describe as bullying.

Neighbour sent a friend of theirs over to me who said: "you should move out of your flat, only I can tolerate her behaviour. If you move out I can live in your flat instead." I asked this woman [who I had never met before] where I was supposed to live. She just said "Oh, I don't know."

More issues followed over the next several weeks [I won't go into all here,] so I called the council. They claimed I had not made any complaints since August 2016. Bulls*** I hand delivered copies of all my previous noise diaries 2016-2019 and a letter explaining the complaints that I had actually made. I asked for a confirmation they had received them by email but never received one. I foned up 3 times asking about but was just fobbed off. Finally got to speak to head of housing but they say they need "independent evidence." How can I get that when they never send anyone around when it happens?

Contacted two local councillors, one didn't reply the other emailed the head of housing but then just replied repeating the same excuses the council had already made to me.
I began a community trigger process but haven't heard anything else [I don't expect much luck with that as it only looks at last three complaints]

Council told me they can do nothing about "historic complaints" but what rankles with that is they didn't do anything at the time. By letting the neighbour get away scot-free there is of course every chance they will just do it all again and again. I've explained over and over the effect it has had on my health, buit honestly believe they think because I have anxiety, I must be over-reacting.

All they say is to keep on doing what hasn't worked for the last three and a half years.

Don't think I can cope with this much more. Never been so low in all my life.

Andrew

ankietyjoe
28-09-19, 14:16
Sometimes you just need a baseball bat and an alibi.

Darksky
28-09-19, 17:17
Citizens advice? They can write letters on your behalf.

local MP? They have open mornings with their constituents. Make a change for them from Brexit ponderings.

andrew68
02-10-19, 19:58
Thanks for replying. Citizens Advice is and has been on my list. I'm currently waiting to hear about the Community Trigger application. It's just a shockingingly poor and disrespectful attitude from this council, it just makes matters even worse. I hold them equally responidble for the problem now. If they aren't going to be part of the solution they become part of the problem. Their refusal to adequately help is enabling the bad behaviour of my neighbour.

andrew68
05-11-19, 19:21
Just updating if anyone is interested.

Community Trigger was a complete waste of time. I wasn't informed of what was happening until after a meeting had already taken place to decide what they were going to do. As such I couldn't put forward the many points I needed addressed that I couldn't fit in their online application form. All they decided was to offer mediation, which I was honestly told by an environmental health officer "wasn't going to work."

So here I am suffering massive anxiety and the people who are supposed to be there to help are not doing anything effective. I even received a warning that "any information published on social media sites could lawfully be used in support of action being pursued against the originator." regarding my posts on Twitter outpouring my frustration.

None of the local counsellors have contacted me anymore either, so I can get no help there. Guess they don't care about losing a single, solitatry vote from someone genuinely in need.

andrew68
20-12-19, 12:29
Today I got a letter from the council. Noisy neighbour has made a noise complaint against me for "excessive footfall and banging." Completely untrue of course, just a lame retaliation.

WiredIncorrectly
20-12-19, 15:41
I'm somebody who sometimes plays loud bassy music as I'm a music producer and my room is right next to her child's. When they moved in I explained I produce music and sometimes it may be a little bassy but not for long periods. We agreed on suitable times and I work around that. No loud music after 5pm. Weekends are bit relaxed, but I told them if there's any ever a problem to please come and let me know. I also have bass traps in the room. No problems and we get on well with the neighbors.

I don't know about your situation. Is it possible to agree on suitable times for playing music? The council are useless and I find extending things that far usually causes more animosity between neighbors. Some councils will mediate between 2 neighbors where you both sit in the same room and talk. Is that possible?

andrew68
22-12-19, 14:32
Sorry, no. I tried compromise - even after they had a noise abatement order issued against them - they just didn't stick to what we had agreed to. The noise level was so bad I just had to stop what I was doing and leave. This is someone who would come home at 3 or 4 in the morning and thump music out, have a few hours sleep then start all over again.

The fact they are now making false allegations against me should tell you all you need to know about their character.

andrew68
23-12-19, 20:30
It's horrible. It will be 4 years of this in February. All I want is to put it all behind me and move on, but I can't because of the reccuring trouble from my neighbour. I can't even nmove becuase there are places available and I can't afford all the removal and other costs involved.

Council useless, MPs useless, Community Trigger useless. I started having very bad, dark thoughts a couple of months ago, and I'm just dreading the new year.

WiredIncorrectly
26-12-19, 13:18
Sorry, no. I tried compromise - even after they had a noise abatement order issued against them - they just didn't stick to what we had agreed to. The noise level was so bad I just had to stop what I was doing and leave. This is someone who would come home at 3 or 4 in the morning and thump music out, have a few hours sleep then start all over again.

The fact they are now making false allegations against me should tell you all you need to know about their character.

Sorry you're going through this. That sounds like hell. Let them make their allegations because there's obviously no proof to them. Whereas, you have evidence of their problems if they've had a noise abatement order issued against them.

WiredIncorrectly
26-12-19, 13:23
Council useless, MPs useless, Community Trigger useless. I started having very bad, dark thoughts a couple of months ago, and I'm just dreading the new year.

I know it's no solution but I'd wear headphones or earplugs. I've had issues with neighbors and the issue stopped when I had it out with them. Just got so pissed off one day that I went mad.

You need to speak to a solicitor at this point. They will produce the required documents and post them to your neighbor and to the council. They can do the talking between you and the council. They're good because they know the law and are able to say and word things in such a way that it will force the council and your neighbor to act.

Council won't do anything unless they have to. We've had a faulty boiler for 4 years. Every day we have to put the pressure back up. Some days the thing refuses to work. Will they replace it? Will they fk.

andrew68
26-12-19, 21:15
Thanks for the reply. I have used headphones and even had to sleep with earplugs in some nights. The allegations were just a deliberate attempt to spoil my Christmas in my honest opinion, typical of the nasty minded individual causing me these problems. Unfortunately I just don't have money to speak to a solicitor. I will be going to Citizens Advice next in the hope that someone can put my points across to authority better than I have been able to.

Confetti
30-12-19, 13:29
I really do offer my deepest sympathies, I have put up with this twice, the second time I fought fire with fire even though it's not in my nature to go out of my way to make a monumental nuisance of myself and the piece of manure eventually understood they weren't going to get away with behaving without a care in the world without receiving inconvenience in return even though I only retalliated occasionally. It was enough for them to exercise caution and cut out the daily hours long assailment upon me. I don't recommend trying to exact vengenace but sometimes there's no simpler way if communication is not there. It's truly wicked to be tortured by a neighbour with no concern for what is next to them.

andrew68
01-01-20, 18:17
I received the complaint letter from the council on the 20th December 2019. The thing is, a week earlier on Friday 13th December the neighbour had friends over until the following Monday, making unneccessary noise and just being rowdy. They went out late that Friday and came home at 4am Saturday 14th waking me and my girlfriend up with their noise. I am on anti-depressents with a sedative so I was able to get back to sleep after 15 minutes or so, but my girlfriend had to stay up because of them. Same thing happened at 2.50am on Sunday 15th woken up loud voices and thumps. Then the neighbour has cheek to complain about me disturbing them in the early hours.

I was woken up again at half past midnight on Saturday 20th December by the thumping on the wall!

Nearly four years of this. I'm a mess.

andrew68
30-01-20, 15:54
Police Community Support officers visited me unexpectedly yesterday. I explained the problems I am having as best I could, but not being prepared for their visit I forgot to mention a whole bunch of things I really wanted to. I feel I didn't explain the gravity of the situation very well, and that when they report back to the council it won't accurately represent how bad my situation is.

They did say they would see me again, so at least I am now on their radar, but I just have the feeling that they are ticking boxes to cover the obligations from my Community Trigger application.

Pamplemousse
31-01-20, 09:57
It might be worthwhile keeping a list of points for discussion to hand should they visit again.

andrew68
03-02-20, 18:47
It might be worthwhile keeping a list of points for discussion to hand should they visit again.
Thanks. Yes, this is what I usually do if I have a fone call or appointment. The officer actually called again two days later and I remembered a few more thing I had negelected to say first time around. They did say they will call me beforehand in future too.

After this I then received another email from the community trigger office. They held another meeting [again without notifying me beforehand] and now want me to provide access to my medical records and attend a mental health assesment. They say this is to help me with the problems I am experiencing, but it feels like I am being put on trial to prove that I am not a nut case who is over reacting. Really p****d about this.

andrew68
20-02-20, 17:19
Last week I had a visit from Community Trigger/Community Safety team. Basically arranging yet more counselling because "there are concerns for my mental health." This is something I was going to do myself anyway [and have done twice in the previous 4 years] so it just smacks of lip service.

If there is so much concern why don't they deal properly with the person causing me problems, instead of letting me continue living in an unhealthy environment? The head of housing just continues to close the case after each complaint, because I can't supply evidence. Impossible to get after something has already happened.

In November 2019 the environmental health officer said to me "you can't live like that." But here I am living like that. 4 years and counting.

andrew68
20-03-20, 10:03
The last two nights hardly any sleep because A**ehole neighbour sits up all night with two people visiting her being loud and rowdy. Had what I believe was hypertension at 4am, double fast heart rate. Never had that before.

Council tell me to use the noise app to get evidence - I tried but find out today they blocked me on it because they closed the case again in November.

Environmental Health don't want to deal with it and sent me to housing. Housing sent me back to Envioronmental Health to get the noise app unblocked, but Environmental Health sent me back to Housing. Again.

Surely noise nuisance in the night IS an Environmental Health issue. Nasty Neighbour filed a false complaint against me in December for the exact same nightime noise issues, and Env Health issued me a warning letter. But when I make a genuine complaint, they tell me it's a Housing issue.

Housing just don't do anything. I guess it's looking like the ombudsmen.

andrew68
22-03-20, 16:29
Friday night. Worst in the four years this has been going on. I was expecting another disruptive nights sleep, but nothing prepared me this.
About 9 the music [which they have an abatement for] start, shouting and thumping on then walls. At 10.15pm massive thumps against the wall [no idea how they managed that without doing damage]
I called 101 and the police told me that was harrassment. They couldn't send anyone but to call back if it happened again. It did so I called again, they said maybe would call if possible but unlikely. Arrangement was made for a police visit on Saturday night.

The massive thumps and music started again even worse, I actually went from anxious to being outright scared. Called police again out of desperation and they updated the case notes. Called the council out of hours who took notes.

Saturday night came and the police didn't attend but called on the phone. Took details but said there was nothing they could do, but they would inform the local PCSO [which I had already done.]

Saturday was relatively quiet and I got the first full nights sleep since Tuesday. Scumbags still hanging around outside, and I'm still feeling scared. Dreading if things kick off again tonight.

andrew68
24-03-20, 11:19
Update: Head of housing just told me "move or go and stay with friends or family." Also "use the noise app," even though I am blocked from submitting evidence.

andrew68
06-04-20, 19:48
I'll discontinue posting here unless someone shows any interest. Thanks for all the previous replies.

Phoenixess
06-04-20, 20:12
I'll discontinue posting here unless someone shows any interest. Thanks for all the previous replies.

Keep a diary phone 101 if it’s at unreasonable hours however I think during the lockdown I presume normal avenues of reporting these issues will come to anything unless it is like four am and ludicrous then phone 101

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KK77
06-04-20, 21:08

I have been following this thread, as I'm sure others have too, but it's hard offering advice you haven't already had.

If this situation is continuing, I can only suggest you push, and keep pushing, to be moved. You have to make the case for this: it's either you or your antisocial neighbour because I think you have exhausted all other reasonable attempts at resolving this.

I do appreciate this is easy for me to say but I really can't see any other alternative, Andrew.

andrew68
10-04-20, 17:19
Thank you. I wasn't throwing my toys out of the pram with my previous post, just that I felt this thread had run its course.

I have contacted a local councillor who in turn contacted head of housing. Unfortunately, she found him to be "very beaurocratic" and had hoped for a more sympathetic response, as she feels I am vulnerable. The head of housing then emailed me and warned that "my integrity as a witness could be questioned." I interpret that as him calling me dishonest.

I feeling like I am being bullied into submission by the people who are suppsoed to help me.