PDA

View Full Version : Headaches during sex - side effect?

DulwichHamlet
06-06-16, 17:35
Hi all. So I've been on Citalopram 20mg for about five years, for OCD and anxiety, and just over two weeks ago, my dose was increased to 30mg.

I've experienced the usual side effects people report (shaky hands, tiredness, etc) but one thing that's been happening for the past week is that when I'm having sex or masturbating I get a very intense pounding headache come on in the back of my head, with tenderness in my neck as well. Without going into too much graphic detail, it seems to come at a certain point of arousal, before orgasm though.

The pulsing headache itself only lasts for a few minutes, and gradually fades into a general tension-type headache, but as you can imagine it's quite disconcerting to experience. I've done other strenous things, like going for a run or building a bed without triggering off the sensation

I just wondered whether anyone else has experienced anything like this? I know headaches and neck pain are pretty common with citalopram but I can't seem to find any instances of this particular variety.

I never had any issues like this prior to my medication being increased so I'm presuming it's a side effect, but I made the mistake of googling and have now terrified myself with all sorts of possibilities. I also find it kind of odd as when I initially went onto citalopram I didn't experience much in the way of physical symptoms, but on the increased dose I seem to be getting them pretty badly.

I have a follow-up appointment with my GP tomorrow so obviously I'll mention this then.

Becky2785
06-06-16, 18:53
Well it could have something do with the blood rushing around your body during excitement don't google anything I did and have adequate things worse for myself although I haven't googled anything for 4 days so I very proud of myself lol
Hope things go well st the doctors

DulwichHamlet
07-06-16, 12:29
Thanks for the good wishes. The GP said that since it's only happened since the increase in dose it's probably related to that - she's dropping me back down to 20mg and I've got a follow-up in 2 weeks and if the issue is still there she'll refer me to a neurologist. She also told me to avoid any of the kind of triggering activity for a week :weep:.