PDA

View Full Version : There is a cure for depression

Keitharcher
14-03-07, 20:38
Hi All

hose who know me also know i consider myself cured, well the method I used on myself I saw on the news (bbc east midlands local) with a few differences. I have been barking on about seeing positives and making positives out of negatives. Well there was a news item (wed 14 mar) about a woman suffering from acute depression to such an extent that she was becoming house bound. She went to see this woman who re-programs people with problems like that. It all involves seeing the right pictures in your mind, a negative emotion associates with a negative cold image. If you can spin this picture to one you have chosen that is bright colourful and full of positive life, at the same time pressing your thumb and forefinger together to associate the good image in your mind replacing the negative one. The depressive mood will clear. If you can keep doing this you will start to immeadietly associate the positive image every time you feel the negative feeling coming on. There are other techniques to use as well, got to bbc.com for the east midland and look at the news story, it may just be what you are looking for.

Keith

LINDYLOO
14-03-07, 20:44
thanks for sharing that with us keith will check out the bbc site...

thanks lindy

mooks
15-03-07, 16:23
sounds a bit like CBT....challenging Automatic Negative thoughts

Southern_Belle
18-03-07, 17:28
Hi Keith,

I agree with you. I do believe that our thoughts do become our reality. We can make ourselves either happy or sad by them. We can live in the moment or in the what if's by them. I am not saying it is an easy thing to do by no means. It is such a simple concept yet such a difficult one to conquer. I would also recommend to also surround yourself with people who both love you and look at the bright side of things. I would think that would help immensely.

Laura

Granny Primark
18-03-07, 17:41
Thanks for sharing that with us keith.
It sounds like the techniquie Paul Mckenna uses.

Take care
LYNN xx

Keitharcher
18-03-07, 20:53
Lynn

You could be right, i dont know, however, I do know if it works dont knock it just accept it and reap the benifits

Keith

soulsurfer
21-03-07, 07:36
will check this out thanks phil

sandie
21-03-07, 10:27
Hi everyone

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments behind this 'treatment' or approach to depression. When the sun is shining we all tend to feel so much better don't we? For a number of reasons the house we are currently living in is very very cold - we've had real probs trying to stay warm this winter. I am convinced this has made me feel worse. I've just wanted to hibernate under a blanket and watch TV - it's been a real battle not giving in to it. When the fire is lit, not only is it warmer, but it adds a warm glow to the room. It's hardly surprising that a lot of people with SAD and 'winter depression' gain so much benefit from lightboxes. I think it is very much a case of surrounding ourselves with warmth and brightness, not just in our physical environment, but in the people we spend time with.

Positive thoughts, positive people, warm, bright and colourful pictures in our mind - all of these must surely help!!??

Sandie