PDA

View Full Version : Wow, the area manager of my work, has told me my anxiety is `my problem` to deal with

elibabez
08-06-16, 10:38
So, i arranged a meeting with the area manager about a few issues recently in the store i work in.

One of my main concerns was the store manager stressing at me for asking things more than once, and when i explained that i suffer from very high g-a-d and that is the reason why sometimes i need to double check things, and that it isnt personal or me trying to `undermind` or `mock the manager`

well the area manager said that isnt the point and has nothing to do with it, and that she isnt there to hold my hand all the way (which i do agree with), but basically to just deal with it, and if it continues, i should rethink about if this company is the right job for me

I am just baffled and shocked at the total lack of regard or even willingness to try and understand me..
my anxiety is sky high and i feel sick about it and am simply not sure what to do

PS i make literally (when travel costs come into it) 38 pounds more a month at this place then i would when on benefits.

Is it even worth it?
and if i do quit - i dont even know if i can reclaim benefits as you can get sanctioned for voluntarily leaving a job :(

Any advice? :weep: :scared15: :huh: :weep:

MyNameIsTerry
08-06-16, 10:52
Isn't the point and has nothing to do with it? You explained the reasons behind your behaviour in this case so it is relevant. Asking your manager a few times isn't hand holding. It seems like this manager struggles understanding the point in this matter...or just likes an easy life so can't be arsed.

If it had been me I would have been talking to you about ways to handle it so you didn't need to ask again. If I believed your manager was being unprofessional I would also be reminding them to conduct themselves in the proper manner.

elibabez
08-06-16, 12:01
thanks for your reply
i know i am baffled
i even regret having this talk with the area manager as i am worse off now than before
on a side note - if i was to quit the job if it carries on making me mentally ill,
will i still be sanctioned and will it be classed as `quiting voluntarily`?

thanks for any replies, terry

KatiePink
08-06-16, 12:04
Do you enjoy your job? As if you don't i would think about looking for something else, the stress and negativity of this isn't worth it. But i wouldn't let this put you off working completely, if you can find somewhere else a better company then £38 better off would be worth it as you would be doing something you enjoy and it just gives you more focus/structure.

hanshan
08-06-16, 12:08
I can in no way comment on your situation directly nor on how things work in the UK, but in Australia I would join the appropriate union and approach them for someone to help me explain my situation to management.

MyNameIsTerry
08-06-16, 13:15
Let it carry on and if they do fire you (which they won't because you technically have a disability and if they sack you for that, you can have them for unfair dismissal) and if they do fire you while you do the unfair dismissal, you can apply for benefits right away and look for something better.

I was once pushed out of a job, don't let them do it to you.

You can be dismissed under Capability with a disability and it's perfectly legal as long as they follow the law. The law aims to be fair to both sides, employers are not expected to keep people on because they have a disability or are ill, the business gets consideration too.

But I agree, don't allow people to push you out. Leave if it's best for your health, but that's just my opinion.

Fishmanpa
08-06-16, 13:32
Here in the US, it's a different case in many situations and states. In the state I live in (Virginia), unless you're part of a union, you can be fired/let go with no real recourse. They don't even have to give a reason other than "It's not working out". Especially during a probationary period.

The other side of the coin in this situation is they have a business to run and they do have a point in that your personal situation is not a factor to consider in the performance of your job. If it interferes or causes you to fall short of your duties (for whatever reason), you can be let go. If you don't like your boss or the way they are treating you, you have little recourse. Deal with it or look for another job. Been there done that and frankly, it's a very satisfying feeling to have a job waiting and to tell that A-hole boss to shove it and quit ;) (that is if you're not going to use them as a reference. Otherwise the professional two week notice is recommended ;) )

If this situation were here, I would expect the same result you just got.

MyNameIsTerry
08-06-16, 13:43
The OP has a health aspect that infringes on her work in some way. Whether you have a bad back and can't lift the boxes anymore out a mental health condition, the same rules apply to the employer by law in the UK.

If the OP's health aspect meant it affected their productivity, quality, attendance, etc the same law allows them to examine it from the point of view of the business by invoking a Capability process, although upstream of this they could also take an informal route.

How it seems in the US is how it had been here in some sectors. Our unions have obviously lobbied for more workers rights. A good thing since under thinking like that they would still be sacking all & sundry over the most petty things... and anyone ill would be a goner too. Some industries always had the companies by the short & curries, coal was one and nuclear power was even tougher.