PDA

View Full Version : WORRYING ABOUT FUTURE HEALTH OBSESSED!! Help please!

nayia
08-06-16, 18:51
Hi all, I'm seeing senior clinical psychologist next month but in the meantime I have developed a phobia for the future. After menopause I am terrified of going to the toilet after it finishes in case there is postmenopausal bleeding. I'm obsessed and keep repeating this over in my head. I have severe health anxiety, intrusive thoughts/OCD/GAD and personality disorder. I had a breakdown in Feb and had crisis team visiting to medicate me but have been waiting for psychologist/complex care team since. Does anyone else have worrying about future health? I'm also scared of having tests too. I'm 44. Thanks

Leslie735
08-06-16, 20:29
YES! I have read about some things that could develop that totally freaks me out for my future! Its awful! :(

nayia
09-06-16, 13:17
Hi Leslie, how do you cope with it all?

Lifelonganxiety!
09-06-16, 18:25
I'd say everyone has some kind of worrying thought about the inevitability of ageing and getting ill in some way, but that's just focusing on the negatives, whereas a better approach to it is to be positive, enjoy the health you have NOW and the knowledge that you will be able to tackle anything that comes up when it does, somewhere down the road.

It's also reassuring to note that medical and technological advances mean that if you do get something in the future, then your chances of beating it will be much better than now. We're in a golden age of medical advances, so to me that is reassuring!

nayia
09-06-16, 19:29
Hi, I thank you for your reply and the logical side of me agrees with you and what you say is sensible and pragmatic. unfortunately it's not easy for me to see it so black and white hence the need for psychologist and complex care team. I understand I have to help myself too and I appreciate everyone's comments on here and the more support and people's guidance who are where I am or who have climbed out of this self torture is very welcome as I am desperate. :)

lily1
14-06-16, 14:13
Hi,

Mine is Breast C I am 41 and all I worry about is getting this in the future.
Just look at it this way, keep up with your cervical smears and that will help as this will detect anything in that department that could bleed after menopause. Also if you can afford to you could have a yearly internal ultrasound to put your mind at ease in that area too. Hope this helps as I know how you feel it's a constant battle! :(

dale12345
15-06-16, 02:21
I worry about after menopause all the time. Will I get breast cancer, will I get any kind of cancerm. It is exhausting I know but you are not alone. Everybody her has the own health worries. It is going to be ok.